Flicker Strike

"
casval776 wrote:
I think the biggest problem with Flicker Strike is that it's design and appeal aren't the same. In that, I mean it's supposed to be an assassin-esque backstab type of skill. However, Flicker Strike isn't a blink and it isn't a teleport, it's just rapid movement. That should probably be fixed unless it was intended to do that in the first place. Too many times have I tried to Flicker Strike out of danger only to eat a few projectiles on the trajectory.

There's only two other problems I see with Flicker: Destination and being stunned. When you Flicker Strike a mob, you can appear on any side of them. 9/10 times you'll be sitting there like an idiot for a few seconds while you figure out where you ended up and where to position your cursor. The other problem is being stunned. Currently farming Fellshrine on my Witch and whenever I get stunned by an Archer while using Flicker, it goes on cooldown without doing anything.
To be honest, I wasn't aware this skill had a cast time, even if it was really small, it's long enough to have it countered by nearly any attack. Kinda forces any build using Flicker Strike to invest in Chayula.
That's why I think you should be able to hold down another attack skill, then tap flicker strike and automatically target the thing you flickered to with your previous attack.
"
casval776 wrote:
Flicker Strike isn't a blink and it isn't a teleport, it's just rapid movement.
That is not the case. Flicker Strike removes you from the old position in the world, and places you at the new one. You do not cover any intervening terrain.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
casval776 wrote:
That is not the case. Flicker Strike removes you from the old position in the world, and places you at the new one. You do not cover any intervening terrain.
That's strange. It certainly seems like I get hit by intervening projectiles when I flicker strike.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
casval776 wrote:

Then why don't you fix the case when characters get into traps lying upon the teleportaion trajectory? I described it on the previous page. Also it is actual for leap slam.
Last edited by SidleJinks on Feb 14, 2013, 9:22:14 AM
"
Strill wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
casval776 wrote:
That's strange. It certainly seems like I get hit by intervening projectiles when I flicker strike.

Yea, this.
More often than not I'm still hit during Flicker Strike. It's not a matter of "the mob re-aimed to where you Flicker'd to" when you can obviously see the projectile flying to the location where you previously were and, oddly enough, hitting/killing you.
If it's a blink, it should really act like one. Getting stunned when you pressed Flicker puts the skill on cd and that's it. Is it instant cast? I've never seen an instant cast skill interrupted unless it has some kind of post-activation channel time.

EDIT: I'm just curious, is there any general movement skill aside from Leap Slam that doesn't get the user killed more often than not? Whirling Blades has bad coding or horrible desync, Flicker needs a touch up, and Lightning Warp is never a real option for anyone looking for a quick movement/escape skill.
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
Last edited by casval776 on Feb 15, 2013, 9:13:52 AM
is this skill ever better than just maintaining charges with frenzy and then dual striking if you dual wield?

I had been ignoring flicker strike for weeks but i finally decided to use it and I really enjoy the skill I just question if it is even worth using if dual strike will always out dps it under the same frenzy scenario

**Update

It would seem that flicker strike needs it's dps Upped to compete with other dex single target melee skills.

I tried to use flicker for as long as possible but dual strike had finally beat it out by such a large margin it wasn't even feasible to use anymore.

Dual strike while under frenzy never loses it's damage or attack speed bonus and can apply 2 crits / on hit effects

Flicker strike is the only single target attack I know of that gets worse as you use it.

right now expending 3 charges reduces flickers damage by 64% attack speed and 24% damage.

I don't have hard numbers because there's no damage log that I can look at but the 3-4 charge damage between flicker strike and dual strike is significant. After hours of play swapping the skills I could see hp bars just don't move in same way

I would propose that flicker strike still use a charge based system but instead of expending frenzy charges it could expend "Flicker charges" that are built every time you gather a frenzy charge.

At least then if you went full frenzy build you would have a significant gain in the attack speed area to hopefully compete with a sustained frenzy build using dual strike.
Last edited by Exiledtyrant on Feb 25, 2013, 1:15:25 AM
"
Exiledtyrant wrote:
is this skill ever better than just maintaining charges with frenzy and then dual striking if you dual wield?

I had been ignoring flicker strike for weeks but i finally decided to use it and I really enjoy the skill I just question if it is even worth using if dual strike will always out dps it under the same frenzy scenario

**Update

It would seem that flicker strike needs it's dps Upped to compete with other dex single target melee skills.

I tried to use flicker for as long as possible but dual strike had finally beat it out by such a large margin it wasn't even feasible to use anymore.

Dual strike while under frenzy never loses it's damage or attack speed bonus and can apply 2 crits / on hit effects

Flicker strike is the only single target attack I know of that gets worse as you use it.

right now expending 3 charges reduces flickers damage by 64% attack speed and 24% damage.

I don't have hard numbers because there's no damage log that I can look at but the 3-4 charge damage between flicker strike and dual strike is significant. After hours of play swapping the skills I could see hp bars just don't move in same way

I would propose that flicker strike still use a charge based system but instead of expending frenzy charges it could expend "Flicker charges" that are built every time you gather a frenzy charge.

At least then if you went full frenzy build you would have a significant gain in the attack speed area to hopefully compete with a sustained frenzy build using dual strike.

expending frenzy charges with FS does not decrease its damage merely the attack speed

the damage you are refering to is the DPS, which is modified by attack speed. so when your attack speed decreases so does your DPS but not the damage you do with each flicker
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
the damage does indeed decrease as it loses dps each charge it expends. you lose the % attack speed bonus and charge. Attacks like Double strike and dual strike maintain their attack speed from frenzy charges much longer than flicker and only have to refresh every 10+ seconds while flicker has to constantly rebuild at lower dps and longer start up
Flicker has innate IAS and additional IAS per Frenzy Charge. It's really not that big a deal; Flicker is immensely fast regardless.
well something is the matter becuase flicker strike has a 400 dps+ gap against my dual strike at even setting. Hell even if flicker is gemed and dual strike is not it still loses out by something like 100+ dps. This doesn't even account for the fact that dual strikes dps tool tip is still not telling how much total damage it does. It could be out dpsing flicker strike by even more.

Fact is flicker strike has 2 very tough competitors in the single target dex department and their names are dual strike and double strike. If flicker isn't brought up to par or atleast given some added utility there will be no reason to use it. In a game where every hit counts dual strike killing in 8 hits and flicker strike killing in 15 is a big deal. I merely focused onto the attack speed component because that would be flickers special property for dps. Right now expending frenzy charges take a great deal of attack speed off flicker while also giving flicker large downtime as you need to constantly rebuild. Maybe giving flicker a faster way of maintaining charges isn't the way to go via splitting charges between frenzy and flicker but something should be done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info