Explosive Arrow

Ok, I'm absolutely sure I've read this somewhere already, back in the mists of time when someone else asked; And I should know.
But I don't, and search didn't find it, so here I go:
If I use EE, I assume I should avoid multiple projectiles because the first detonation will make mobs more resistant to the following ones; It is very unlikely all explosions occur at the same time.

Is that assumption correct?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Ok, I'm absolutely sure I've read this somewhere already, back in the mists of time when someone else asked; And I should know.
But I don't, and search didn't find it, so here I go:
If I use EE, I assume I should avoid multiple projectiles because the first detonation will make mobs more resistant to the following ones; It is very unlikely all explosions occur at the same time.

Is that assumption correct?

Correct. EE should only be used for non-multi projectile builds.

You could theoretically use it for a GMP+ignite build to lower your base explosion damage to counter reflect and create a huge AoE ignite spread but it would require very specific build/gear. I've actually been theory crafting this idea lately.
"
You could theoretically use it for a GMP+ignite build to lower your base explosion damage to counter reflect and create a huge AoE ignite spread but it would require very specific build/gear. I've actually been theory crafting this idea lately.

I think is a bad choice. In that scenario you are doing potentially more explosion damage and less burn damage, which doesn't work with reflect.

If you shoot at a large group and all shots hit a foe before all explodes, your doing 5 fuses x 5 mobs = 25 fuses, divided by 2 by GMP (not counting increased dmg) = 12.5 fuses. That damage is lowered somewhat by the +25% resistance between explosions, but anyway I think is still too much damage to start with to be safe.

Maybe it works and maybe not, but I think is much simpler and better to attack a single target with less damage and maximize the burn damage instead.

Honestly, I don't think there's any way to completely cancel the threat of reflect short of vaal pact + life leech, which in my experience isn't a very viable way to go with explosive arrow anyway. Dealing with reflect is more about playing smart than being able to completely eliminate the threat of it killing you.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Asked in the mechanics thread might as well ask here too.

Curious about mitigating reflected EA explosion damage.
I know fire resist helps.

Assuming the attack isn't made with resolute technique/lionseye.

What out of evade/ondars guile/ dodge/spell dodge/block/ spell block
helps mitigate elemental reflected damage from explosive arrow's explosion.

and if the attack is made with resolute technique/lionseye.
do any of dodge/spell dodge/block/spell block help.

I assume enfeeble/blind on the target do not help.
ign: Anviss
Last edited by evantrees on Jul 16, 2013, 2:35:54 AM
Evade won't affect the explosion damage because it's 100% chance to hit. Explosive arrow is not a spell, so no spell block will protect you either. Also because EA is not a spell and has 100% chance to hit, I don't think either of the dodge (acrobatics or phase acrobatics) will do you any good. Blind obviously does not help because accuracy/evasion is not a factor. Enfeeble does not work unfortunately either (confirmed in patch notes by somebody in GGG http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/464831/page/16).

All that said, arctic armour now works against reflect damage. I just tested this on a map with reflect damage and took almost no damage the whole time, even when 5 stacking fuses on a monsters. I had 81% fire resist and 154 reduction from acrtic armour and the most damage I ever took was about 900 at once on the whole map, which was a large pack with doubly reduced resists and 5-stacked with fuseas.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Jul 16, 2013, 4:56:34 AM
I really wished the base mana cost were cheaper for this skill. It just doesn't seem like the cost really justifies the mechanic of loading charges and THEN dealing damage. Compared to the Discharge skill, the cost is so much cheaper that deals relatively the same amount of dmg.

Lowering the cost can also open up more options to the choice of survival. It seems like the only way to make this skill work is to use eldritch battery, or blood magic builds.

I wouldn't even mind if the damage on this skill was scaled down a bit with the benefit of lowering the mana cost. The dmg itself is already high risk to dying from reflect dmg.
Hi

i took the Elemental Damage (8% increased Elemental Damage) in templar-tree. it didnt increase my base firedamage per explosion in tooltip.

Does it even increase my EXPLOSIVE DMG?
[Trade] -> Whisper me IGN: TrapAndHide
"
OneMinuteAgo wrote:
base firedamage per explosion in tooltip.

Base damage does not include modifiers (otherwise it wouldn't be Base damage).
It works just fine.
can anyone confirm weapon swap does take effect if you swap before the explosion?
ign = ultrahiangle

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info