Explosive Arrow

"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Maybe The Explosion isn't technically a weapon attack?
Which raises an interesting point; will EA work with Life on Hit?

The explosion is not a weapon attack, that has been said multiple times. It is fire damage, it is projectile damage, it is area damage, it is not weapon damage.

My question is, does either Point Blank or Iron Grip have any effect? Both are worded to say "Projectile attacks," but neither specify if they mean weapon attacks or not.

Although Iron Grip says 'physical', so it likely does not affect the explosion.
Projectile Attacks are a sub-category of Attack, just like Melee Attack is one. In PoE terminology, the word 'Attack' always refers to a Weapon Attack.

How I understand it is the following:
Iron Grip only works on Physical Projectile Attacks, as you mentioned, since it's literally the Strength damage bonus. The explosion deals no Physical damage, so that's out by default.

Point Blank works on Attacks, and while the explosion is Projectile Damage, it's not a Projectile Attack.

Life on Hit specifies that it applies to Attacks as well.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Projectile Attacks are a sub-category of Attack, just like Melee Attack is one. In PoE terminology, the word 'Attack' always refers to a Weapon Attack.

How I understand it is the following:
Iron Grip only works on Physical Projectile Attacks, as you mentioned, since it's literally the Strength damage bonus. The explosion deals no Physical damage, so that's out by default.

Point Blank works on Attacks, and while the explosion is Projectile Damage, it's not a Projectile Attack.

Life on Hit specifies that it applies to Attacks as well.

iron grip works on lightning strike so i wouldn't be surprised if it worked on the explosions
ign = ultrahiangle
This skill needs to be improved again or cost far less mana.
It's on scales of Lightning Arrow and Poison Arrow without having half the use.

There is no screen indicator what nodes or gems work on the explosion.

The keystones are in complete other areas than dexterity so unless you play a shadow, templar or duelist it's impossible to raise the damage to an extent other builds are able to do.

It's easy to see how it compares to elemental hit.

Elemental hit: Easy to damage by support gems(works great with pierce), easily to modify with keystones.
Explosive Arrow: Core Damage fails because it's not Weapon damage, pierce doesn't trigger explosions(even elemental damage), keystones that work aren't in the dexterity area.

If it would at last add some of the base physical damage as explosion damage then it would be worth a shot.

It's really not a skill for rangers, maybe it should change color?
It'd probably be pretty good on a templar.^^
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
ultrahiangle wrote:
iron grip works on lightning strike so i wouldn't be surprised if it worked on the explosions

Becasue LS' projectiles are, indeed, Attacks. For all intents and purposes, they're just arrows; projectiles dealing damage based on equipped weapon. The explosion is not.
It can be a bit confusing understanding which nodes affect which skills, but it isn't too bad. If the word 'attack' indeed implies weapon-damage, then it is clear that Point Blank nor Iron Grip would affect the damage.

People keep comparing it to Lightning Arrow, but that isn't a good comparison. Lightning Arrow's elemental portion is based off of how much damage would have been done as a physical attack, so of course those will scale with weapon damage nodes.

I've not seen much issue with it not doing enough damage, as long as you have a sizable group that you are firing into. And if the bow you are using is relatively low damage for the content you are on, you can stack them up a bit more before the explosion goes off.

And I don't think it needs to be changed or nodes moved to make it more 'ranger-friendly.' Build diversity is something they strive for here, and you have to accept that some skills aren't made to be used necessarily by your build. Some uniques, and I assume some skills, are going to be designed to be built around, to be that fun thing you want to grind loot for to build. (D2 Auradin? Level 9 Assassin?)
"
Boruko wrote:
If the word 'attack' indeed implies weapon-damage, then it is clear that Point Blank nor Iron Grip would affect the damage.
It does, with the exception of unarmed, which is an attack without a weapon.
The question was if those keystones apply to the fire damage because the increase is never shown.

So the only nodes that should work are Firedamage nodes.

Keystones like Lava Lash, Point Blank, "x% more Projectile Damage" and Iron Grip don't work despite being projectiles now.
"
Hilbert wrote:
The question was if those keystones apply to the fire damage because the increase is never shown.
Which it can't be because the base value to be increased is not defined in the skill. The skill shows how much base damage the explosion has for each charge, it can't show the total with the increases because that number of charges is an unknown quanitity.
"
Hilbert wrote:
"x% more Projectile Damage"
This does apply to the explosion. The explosion is non-spell, non-weapon projectile fire damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info