[2.0]♦Crit µ-lner♦: Mjölner revamped! - Lifebased, Insane DPS! RIP Dual-Wield.

!Attention!
This guide is still under construction.
I'm adding new content as you read and will get more detailed in the next few days, while I test everything.

! READ THIS FIRST !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
! THIS IS NOT A BUDGET BUILD !
The guide you see here is not beginner friendly!
Mjölner is nothing you can do on budget, plus I use legacy and really expensive items.
This guide is mostly for people who already have a mjölner and want to adapt to 2.0.
While I think it can be done in temp. leagues (with little adjustments), it's NOT a budget build.
If you really want a more budget oriented build I suggest you to check out Viviere's Guide, he has a somewhat cheaper approach to Mjölner than me.
And here is Dogeswow's Guide which lead me to test heavy Armour with Mjölner and made me decide that Armour is King now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Introduction~
Hi, my name is skieZ and I'm a huge fan of our mighty gavel "Mjölner".
Pretty much since I saw the first video of Tom94 doing his Rainbownuke, I wanted to use this unique.
After alot of grinding, a huge potion of luck and some frustration, I got enough currency together to do a LowLife Mjölner build.
Since one year I'm playing my Mjölner Witch and I can't get enough of her.
With the HUGE changes of 2.0, I want to present you my first guide for my favourite build in the game!
LowLife is no longer better than lifebased, so we are changing the meta around to lifebased, while maintaining (imo) one of the best builds ever created.
So let me show you!

Spoiler

Tanking Merci Malachai Smash with Fortify; 20k Armour and Taste of Hate.
Watch the full fight in the Videosection below!

HOW DOES PHYSICAL MITIGATION WORK?
Spoiler

For all people who want to know how physical damage is mitigated, how the mitigation chain works here is an explanation:

Lightning Coil; Taste of Hate -> Armour; Endurance Charges -> Fortify.

Assuming a 7.5k pure phys. Hit (Malachai Smash; using my Armour numbers):

Taste of Hate first: 7500*0,3 = 2250 damage mitigated WITH 100 Cold Resistance.
We only have 88 with Taste up so: 2250*0,88 = 1980 damage mitigated and 270 damage taken as Cold.

-> 5250 pure phys. damage after Taste:

I have 20758 Armour in my current Setup. The Armour Reduction% Formula is:
Armour/ (Armour+(10*RawDmg))

So:
20758/(20758+(10*5250)) = ~0.28 -> 28% reduction through Armour.
As follows: 5250*0,72 = 3780 phys. damage taken after Armour (no Endurance Charges!)

After Armour our Fortify Buff kicks in with flat 20% damage reduction:
3780*0,8 = 3024 Damage taken of a 7500 pure Physical Hit.

With the Cold damage of the Flask: 3294 Damage take from the smash.

But wait! How do you have near 2K HP left with 4.5k HP if the damage is 3294?
Well first the 7500 damage smash is rounded up. It could be around 7K or so.
Second I had a few endurance charges up, which are added additivly to the armour reduction.

So lets see:
Assmuming 3 Endurancecharges only: 12%extra physical mitigation

28% (from Armour) + 12% (Endu.-Charges) = 40% mitigation
5250*0,6 = 3150 damage
with Fortify:
3150*0,8 = 2520 damage
2520+270(Colddamage left from Taste of Hate) = 2790 damage taken.

4500-2790 = 1710HP left after Malachai Smash.

Edit: I just saw that Soul of Steel Cluster gives us another 4% phys. Reduction..thats not included in my math up there, so we would take even less damage then I calculated.
Another thing I forgot is, that the flaskeffect-nodes increase the "30% of physical damage converted to cold" to "39% of physical damage converted to cold".
All in all we'd mitigate even more damage then shown above. I'll update the Section whith the right numbers soon.

Pro's:
- insane DPS
- good synergy with all of its parts
- can do pretty much everything in the game
- huge explosions and pretty orbs around you
- insanely fun
- flexible passive tree

Con's:
- expensive
- use of legacy items (legacy Mjölner; Headhunter; Voll's Devotion)
- high level character required
- Acuity's required
- not party friendly (toasters gonna RIP with you in the party)

Mandatory Gear:
- Mjölner (heh who would've thought)
- Alpha's Howl
- Romira's Banquet
- Voll's Devotion
(- Kingsguard )
(- Atziri's Acuity [when using lifeleech in any form])
- Level 21 Purity's

Videos:

Skilltree
(UPDATED! ARMOUR IS KING NOW! WE LOSE HP/APS/ACCURACY BUT GAIN ALOT OF MITIGATION AND STUNIMMUNITY!):

My tree (with headhunter)

Updated the Tree for the Armour Version!
Dogeswow and ym own followed testing convinced me, that Armour is really good now!
So I specced out of some HP;Attack Speed; Accuracy Nodes and lost one Endurance Charge to makes us Stun Immun and have TONS of Armour.
I leveld to 94 and after switching to Armour around 50%XP in I just felt so much better.
High Armour combined with Taste of Hate; Rumi's or Lightning Coil, makes alot of phys. Damage really a joke.
You can do Uber Atziri with this Setup!
Dogeswow did it on his Character with a pretty similar tree and setup.
YOU NEED TO GET HP JEWELS!

Bandits:
Life(or Passive)/ APS(or Passive)/ Endurance Charge

Auras:
Mikelat's Calculator

Jewels:
Spoiler
~Anatomical Knowledge Jewel~
Life% and flat Life per INT in the radius.

~Conqueror's Efficiency~

Less Aura reservation.

~good rare jewels with attackspeed or mana gain on hit; Spelldmg. etc.~
For example:

Gemsetup:
Spoiler
Mjölner:
BRB:

Alpha's Howl:
GBBR:

Chest:
RRRGGG:

Acuitys:
RRGG:

Boots:
RGGX:

Alternative Setups in Mjölner:
BRB: Discharge; Life Leech; Arc (<- Safe setup for Uber Atziri)
BBB: Discharge; Lightning Pen; Arc (only really doable with Kingsguard, since you wont have any leech)
BBB: Discharge; Schock Nova/Arc; Arc (3 Spells are possible too, but again no leech, so you need Kingsguard)

Alternative Setups for chest:
5L:RRRRG : Moltenstrike; Multistrike; FA; GMP; BM
6L:RRRRGG: Moltenstrike; Multistrike; FA; GMP; Blind; Fortify
6L:RRRGGG: Moltenstrike; Multistrike; FA; GMP; LMP; BM
6L:RRRRGG: Moltenstrike; Multistrike; FA; GMP; BM; Fortify

My Gear:

Spoiler

My Flasks:
Spoiler

My Stats(outdated atm.! Will take new Screens soon.):
Spoiler
~ Offense ~
Molten Strike:
(no Frenzy Charges)

Discharge:
*with all Charges up (no Atziri Flask; no RF)*

*with all charges up + Atziri Flask*

*fully buffed with RF; Atziri Flask and all Charges*

Arc:
*with all Charges up (no Atziri Flask; no RF*

*with all Charges + Atziri Flask*

*fully buffed with RF; Atziri Flask and all Charges*

~Defense~:

*Defenses without Flasks and Charges*

*Defenses with Flasks and Charges*

WITH PoF 21 YOU GET 1 MORE MAX. RES. I'll update the screens when I get one.

Explanation of the build and mechanics:

CwDt Setup:
The old CwDt+IC combo still works and is "okay".
IC was nerfed really hard, so I only get a 4 sec. Immortal call with 7 Endurance charges.
Still enough to sustain until the next IC can proc.

Kingsguard:
This chest is insane.
Me(and probably alot of other people) realized fast, that this chest is the new BiS for Mjölner builds.
With the nerfs and changes to leech and the nerfs to auranodes and the removal of buff effect-nodes (which results in less max. resistances), we can no longer safely facetank bosses.
But with the introduction of Kingsguard we just got our facetank potential back (okay not completely, but a portion of it).
100 life gain on endurance charge consumption doesn't sound like alot, but for us it is insane.
I have picked up 3 charges from the tree plus the 3 we get per default and the bandit reward, which nets us 7 charges or 700 life gain per discharge (assuming we get 7 charges per discharge).
This is the optimal situation. We most likely get between 3~5 charges with every discharge we do, but keep in mind that we discharge ALOT per second.
The more APS we have, the more we discharge, the more life we get back.
Thats another reason why I chose to dualwield, because we get the more APS multiplier, which brings us up to over 7 APS.
With the chest alone we can back a few thousand life per second, without ANY leech.
This allows us, in combination with high resistances, to facetank bosses and be immortal again (even with the nerfs).
(Another quality of life thing for me is, that we are finally be able to sustain RF in splitphase for atziri, even if you don't have flaskcharges, since you get life back per discharge.)

If you have any question throw me a PM ingame or here!
IGN: KAZUMI_D_ARC

Changelog
12.07.15 Guide introduced
14.07.15 removed CoH setup, since its not really effective against bosses
16.07.15 added Divinarius Setup
23.07.15 Dual-Wield Setup nerfed. Back to boring shields.
EXALTS>EXAMS
Last edited by skieZ on Jul 24, 2015, 9:12:09 AM
Added a vid with an atziri run.
EXALTS>EXAMS
Hey mate, loving this build, feels like it does EVEN more damage than Reoxy. Also good fun theorycrafting a bit with you :)

Here's my current tree (Lvl 97), without the +1 pt from Tasuni normal and cruel, and I have 1 pt unassigned still, thinking of a few possibilities :)
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAZEB3AQHBLMFLQVCC2EOXBEtEuEUIBZvFy8ZLhzcHRQgbicLJy8snC3SMfsyCTLRNZI26DndOtg_J0CgQZZEq0VHRX5Gt0d-SshMs1AwUEdVrlXGVdZXDVivWW1eE18_X5hhUmTnZU1nm2jyavpsRm6qbztybHfjeA15aHrvfIOApIIQgpuDtoPbhNmGYIbRjmSPGo9Gj6aQVZHOktCWbJo7m1iiAKcIqW6tja4-rrOvbLXytvq9Nr6nwBrAZsEExq7PMs9-0PXTb9SP2L3ZYd-w4XPjauRR5LHr7uw47w7vTvAf96b60g==?accountName=AnnieTheEagle&characterName=FuryOfAquilarum
I'd advise you to take the 6% HP node behind devotion and get another jewel slot with the 2 points left.
Best would be one of the jewel slots with strengh, because it boosts your iron will damage bonus a bit too.

cheers and I'm glad you like the build
EXALTS>EXAMS
how funny is that when this chest came out i said it will be op af on mjolner, people said that only 100 life will prolly not be enough, i evne got downvoted in reddit... lmao

nice build™
"
xiaoxiao921 wrote:
how funny is that when this chest came out i said it will be op af on mjolner, people said that only 100 life will prolly not be enough, i evne got downvoted in reddit... lmao

nice build™

Yeah I saw these comments too and knew that wasn't true at all.
The chest is really really powerfull, so I'm glad it exists.

cheers and thanks for the comment!
EXALTS>EXAMS
Hello, first of all i really like your appraoch.

After 1400 Jewelery Orbs and 400 Fuse i got my Kingsguard 6 linked.

I wasted 6-7 hours in planning on a non-crit tree, but skieZ convinced me that critbased would be better to spam flasks.
I tried it, and i really love this build. It feels like the it's best Mjölner build (so far).
Currently im level 90. I'd like to take the full big HP wheel, or are there better health options?

My Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAZEB3AQHBLMFLQVCC2EQWBEtEuEUIBZvFy8YXRkuHNwdFCBuJwsnLyycLdIx-zIJMtE1kjboOd062ECgQZZEq0VHRrdHfkrITLNQMFBHVa5VxlXWVw1Yr14TXz9hUmTnZU1nm2jybEZuqm87cmx343gNeWh673yDgKSCEIKbg7aD24TZhmCG0Y5kj0aPppBVkc6S0JZsmjubWKIApwipbq2NrfGuPq6zr2y18r02vqfAGsBmwQTGrs9-0PXTb9SP2L3ZYdrd37Dhc-Nq5FHksevu7DjvDu9O8B_60g==?accountName=mpleaex&characterName=Aluhut

My gear so far
Spoiler

And special thanks to skieZ for helping me out quite a few times. :)

Edit: Just got a nice Jewel
IGN - Mpleaex
Last edited by mpleaex on Jul 13, 2015, 2:28:26 AM
Thank you for the guide.

I should try with my other witch when i get the chest.

Do you use righteous fire only if you have saffell's frame?
"
mpleaex wrote:
Hello, first of all i really like your appraoch.

After 1400 Jewelery Orbs and 400 Fuse i got my Kingsguard 6 linked.

I wasted 6-7 hours in planning on a non-crit tree, but skieZ convinced me that critbased would be better to spam flasks.
I tried it, and i really love this build. It feels like the it's best Mjölner build (so far).
Currently im level 90. I'd like to take the full big HP wheel, or are there better health options?

My Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAZEB3AQHBLMFLQVCC2EQWBEtEuEUIBZvFy8YXRkuHNwdFCBuJwsnLyycLdIx-zIJMtE1kjboOd062ECgQZZEq0VHRrdHfkrITLNQMFBHVa5VxlXWVw1Yr14TXz9hUmTnZU1nm2jybEZuqm87cmx343gNeWh673yDgKSCEIKbg7aD24TZhmCG0Y5kj0aPppBVkc6S0JZsmjubWKIApwipbq2NrfGuPq6zr2y18r02vqfAGsBmwQTGrs9-0PXTb9SP2L3ZYdrd37Dhc-Nq5FHksevu7DjvDu9O8B_60g==?accountName=mpleaex&characterName=Aluhut

My gear so far
Spoiler

And special thanks to skieZ for helping me out quite a few times. :)

Edit: Just got a nice Jewel

Hi, I don't know how many nodes you have left, but you can take the 6% HP node behind Devotion.
If you want more, you can take the Scion-Cluster OR the Bloodless-Cluster form the Marauder Area.
Later if you get really nice jewels, you can take these to get even more HP.
Your Gear is nice, try to get a good Ring with Res; HP and Accuracy!
FInal upgrade would be Acuitys, but your gloves are fine as is.
Kingsguard leech should carry you.

"
vadrek wrote:
Thank you for the guide.

I should try with my other witch when i get the chest.

Thanks and yes give it a try, its really fun!

"
rieku wrote:
Do you use righteous fire only if you have saffell's frame?

Nope, I can use it without saffels. Just use a ruby flask before you turn it on -> DPS ->if mob is killed -> pot again to remove the RF (you need a "dispells burning on use" flask for that).
In normal mapping situations you dont need RF tho. I replace it with the portal gem in maps, so I don't need to use scrolls.
cheers!

Edit:
I updated the tree after testing a bit!
I speced out of the Skill Duration Nodes, because we only gain 0.18 seconds IC with them and for me thats not worth 6 Points.
We are sitting at exactly 4seconds IC now, which should be fine
We lose 2,7 Seconds on our Vaal Auras, but I don't use them as much and around 10 seconds is long enough to keep them up.
Instead I picked up more life and a jewel node.
You can still keep the duration nodes, they are good, but for me the benefit is to small.
Another update: I got a PoF lvl 21, so I have 82 max res now!
EXALTS>EXAMS
Last edited by skieZ on Jul 13, 2015, 8:12:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info