What is your opinion about new globes?

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I actually think as a whole thing it looks better. I was strongly against the last one they put forward because it just looked bad, but this one looks really good. Honestly I wish they would change the rest of the ui in the character, inventory etc screens to follow the KaruiStone design in very dark grey, make it a lot more focused and unified. All this brown and gold and blue and green and orange and clashing bits sticking out here there and everywhere with boarders followed by boarders followed by a gradient followed by another boarder in this disjointed manner that just leaves the eye moving everywhere with no focus at all... its not bad art, it could well be from the hand of an extremely talented artist but its bad graphic design.

A lot of good was done when they made the HUD the darker grey with the last little change but if you compare this new HUD with what we had at the start of open beta its 100% better imo, the art is just as good, the graphic design is significantly better, it looks way more professional. the mana women looked really well done, I dont care if its women or not, we all have the internet, if you want to see women I dont think you have to look far tbh, I just care if it looks good and this looks really good, overall I think its an improvement.

Personally I think I see too much of women, you cant look anywhere now days without someone trying to hijack your sex drive to manipulate you, oh look shampoo to wash your hair YOU WANT TO HAVE SEX BUY MY SHAMPOO, biscuits, cars, computers, sport... arnt you guys sick of feeling like a horny dog every 5 minutes? The mana women looked cool, theres no need to remove them just because theyre women but theres no reason to require women there either.

Id honestly like to see the entire games ui follow suit and see them stick with it forever, ok chris said they want to have a different one for major expansions, I dunno you guys have been trying to change it for a while now before 2.0, but this is "you". The New Zealand influence, the classic civilization influence, it feels uniquely Path Of Exile and its not often anyone can do anything that has an individual and appropriate personality in the world of fantasy. I feel like youve hit on something here thats your own and personally Id rather see time spent rolling it across everything than spent making another HUD that doesnt match the rest of the UI once again with the next big update, maybe thats just me. But when the ui is very low contrast with no colour it lets the other aspects, the colour and brightness of the items, the levels, the text etc stand out and take center stage, its not fighting irrelevant parts of the ui for your eyes attention, and it allows them to have their own personality so that this area can feel different from this other area etc. You dont want a picture frame to be a loud picture in itself, you want it to say very little and allow what its framing to do the talking and draw all the immediate attention.

Spoiler
The unveiling of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel fresco in 1541 revealed a masterpiece and a colossal scandal. Michelangelo di Ludovico Buonarroti Simone was a sculptor, architect and engineer. He considered Pope Julius II’s commission to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling in 1506 in Saint Peter’s Basilica a humiliation. He nevertheless agreed and signed the contract of his life with the Catholic Church.

The maestro spent endless hours on a scaffold (which he engineered himself) almost 20 meters in the air and worked incessantly from 1508 to 1512 under less-than-ideal conditions. Natural light was poor and the only artificial light available were dozens of burning candles, and because the ceiling plaster had to be a fresco (created in damp plaster), wet paint was constantly dripping on Michelangelo.

Michelangelo single-handedly painted the doctrine of the Catholic Church on the 1,100 square-meter chapel ceiling. From 1508 to 1541 he painted some 300 figures illustrating narrative scenes from the Book of Genesis to the Last Judgment.

The Scandal

What should have been Michelangelo’s shining moment became his darkest hour. A scandal descended upon the Vatican when the work in the Sistine Chapel was finally unveiled. The fresco seemed “better suited to a bathroom or roadside wine shop than to a chapel of the Pope,” said a papal master of ceremonies. There was little if anything of the biblical figures gracing the walls elsewhere in the Vatican.

Michelangelo was accused by Vatican officials of immorality and obscenity. His nudity was not only indecent but it was also considered heresy. It was the height of Counter Reformation and censorship loomed large. Michelangelo's nude figures had a symbolic meaning that was largely misunderstood by Church officials who called the artist “inventore delle porcherie” (inventor of obscenities). In Michelangelo’s heaven and hell, there was no room for clothes but only for souls awaiting their fate.

The fig leaves were finally removed during one of the most important works of restoration of the 20th century from 1980 to 1999. The restoration work “gave the fresco back a previous beauty without causing any harm,” said restorer Simone Lagi. da Volterra’s paintwork was removed and the work revealed a new light which had not been seen for centuries.

The Sistine Chapel fresco was the work of a man who painted through his own vision of the cosmic universe rather than filtering everything through the established canons of the Church. For Church authorities it was inconceivable that the Vatican walls should become a showcase for nudity. However Pope Paul III didn’t see eye-to-eye with his cohorts and wanted to keep the fresco as it was. But some 400 years later in the New World, a New York court would declare several scenes from the fresco obscene.

You see those debate about female images in art and media remind me of the Sistine Chapel cencorship or the "origine du monde" painting.

In POE people see woman degradation in those UI because they can t think and try to understand the signification of such art in the context of the piece they are evolving.

When you read the biography of Brutus, when you see the atrocity of piety, you understand that this world of POE is far from ours. Cruelty, torture, abuses are all part of the game.
Those globes represented this to me, slaves to their own power, slaves to the brutal world of poe and was a good choice I think. We could had a woman and a man, would have been even better.

Don t forget that in art women can be the symbol of purity, justice, freedom.
Those tree are molested and chained in poe and this was my interpretation for the globes.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 2, 2015, 4:44:52 AM
I just find this image of two chained women holding mana- and lifeglobes as stupid as fuck. It is so 80s (Boris Vallejo anyone???). And i lol (yeah, i did it, i used lol) everytime someone gets offended. Whether he/she feels sexually harassed by the image of two naked enslaved women, or if he/she thinks that the use of this stupid, 80s-style image stands for the freedom of blah or sexual liberty or what bullshit ever.

They are just globes. I am happy that this ugly design changed. It was so try-hard and weird. That's all.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
ghamadvar wrote:
I just find this image of two chained women holding mana- and lifeglobes as stupid as fuck. It is so 80s (Boris Vallejo anyone???). And i lol (yeah, i did it, i used lol) everytime someone gets offended. Whether he/she feels sexually harassed by the image of two naked enslaved women, or if he/she thinks that the use of this stupid, 80s-style image stands for the freedom of blah or sexual liberty or what bullshit ever.

They are just globes. I am happy that this ugly design changed. It was so try-hard and weird. That's all.

I ll just express that I think you are wrong about the 80 thing.
Such imagery is used since antiquity, it is older than the Vallejo esthetic.

This is from Pompeii.

You could argue that it represent a mythological scene, but non say the globes don t represent anything in poe mythology.

Now if the DEVS would come and say they just did it because boobies you would be right then.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 2, 2015, 5:11:26 AM
"
ghamadvar wrote:
It is so 80s (Boris Vallejo anyone???)

what's wrong with the 80s? and where is vallejo's art so different from poe?

i mean we even have centaurs and angel wings ...

"
cronus wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:
It is so 80s (Boris Vallejo anyone???)

what's wrong with the 80s? and where is vallejo's art so different from poe?

i mean we even have centaurs and angel wings ...

Same old story that repeat each generations.

Like bourgereau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William-Adolphe_Bouguereauart that been discarded in 1920 by the more modern painter who seen his work to be just kitsch and boring.

He later became again very fashionable.

Vallejo those days is seen to be kitsch and boring.
My bet is that in few years/decades he will again be seen to be a great painter.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 2, 2015, 5:19:27 AM
It is sad to see how much community degraded. Back in the day GGG already tried to change UI. Proposed new art was horrendous, obstructive and broke UI flow. People rioted then and saved clean and sleek current UI. Now GGG tries to pull that trick once again. And once again new proposed UI is horrible, obstructive and absolutely unreasonable. Skull and lion are clunky, thick, cheap and counter-thematic. Yet what we see in this thread? Funboys claiming to like this shit, buttkissing Chris for anything he posts and dev response in this thread is another 'fuck you' for the customers. I'm not surprise though since everyone sane enough to question and criticize developers action been systematically pushed out from forums.

"
Chris wrote:
We thought it'd be cool to reskin the UI slightly with each major expansion. This is the first such change - updating the very old HUD to the recent KaruiStone theme we're using elsewhere in The Awakening.

Feel desperate urge to fix another thing that is not broken? Make hp/mana globes clean without any overlay and introduce lua-scripted UI mod support.
In years to come
You hear my name
When darkness falls
On judgment day
"
lolozori wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:

I ll just express that I think you are wrong about the 80 thing.
Such imagery is used since antiquity, it is older than the Vallejo esthetic.

This is from Pompeii.

You could argue that it represent a mythological scene, but non say the globes don t represent anything in poe mythology.

Now if the DEVS would come and say they just did it because boobies you would be right then.

You really try very hard to look educated man ;) Just take it with a grain of humor. What i wanted to say: The naked globe ladies looked cheap, like a placeholder, out of the POE-design, stupid.

@80s: There were some good and some bad things. I mentioned the bad things. Indirectly ;)
@Vallejo: I don't care if he will be seen as a great artist some day (in fact: i would be glad, because i own a very rare book with his works, a friend gave me years and years ago). I think his pictures are still ... weird.
@cronus: it is not different to the globe-style. That's what i meant. I don't like that trashy use of nudity, just because.

Well. This took a serious path since the last crossroads. Take care everyone ;))
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Didn't notice them before, don't notice them now either. The real problem is the dumb health/mana globe change when drinking potions.
"
mayjames wrote:
The real problem is the dumb health/mana globe change when drinking potions.

what do you mean?
Aye Aye Captain!
"
jeż wrote:
"
mayjames wrote:
The real problem is the dumb health/mana globe change when drinking potions.

what do you mean?

Don't really want to spoil it, but here's how they're in the beta

Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info