State of the Beta - Post #8

middle map easy drop? YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING YES!!!!!!!!!!!! MAP HYPE!!!!!!!!!!
"
geradon wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
quarl wrote:
The highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still be challenging to reach and maintain.

So, gate people from challenging content and have them grind lower content to hope for RNG to allow them a glimpse at the challenging higher content and call it... challenging.
I don't want to have to point out the obvious here..

i looked hard and can't see the obvious.

the goal is to restrict players from endgame because the game has no mandatory item sink.

this can be done by either
- having a insane difficulty at higher levels
- by having moderate difficulty and limit access to these areas
- introduce an item sink like gear deterioration, monsters stealing your gear or ...

imho ggg balanced it pretty well at the moment as the qq about too much difficulty in higher levels and the inability to trade for endgame maps is pretty equal.

Gating challenging content and EXP behind mass amounts of currency, RNG and party rotations and then calling that, itself a challenge.

The obvious? The challenge was already there, but gated to create... a challenge, that isn't a challenge at all.

Call a spade a spade.

For example.... "The highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require a massive currency investment and good RNG to reach and maintain."

Or.... "Being challenged by highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require currency several times what will drop in each map, per map, along with good RNG to reach and maintain."

Or.... "The highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require buying maps, via fair means or foul and roflestomping in 6 man rotations to lessen the currency sink, thus trivialising the challenge any way, along with good RNG to reach and maintain."

See?

Spade = spade.

Challenge = challenge.

Roflestomp = roflestomp.

Currency sink gating =/= challenge.

Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jun 23, 2015, 5:22:04 AM
.. forum engine crashed my post :(
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jun 23, 2015, 5:54:05 AM
still no changes about guild management? :(

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
Gating challenging content and EXP behind mass amounts of currency, RNG and party rotations and then calling that, itself a challenge.
The obvious? The challenge was already there, but gated to create... a challenge, that isn't a challenge at all.

for some it's a challenge to either endlessly grind, relying on luck to progress or having to deal with real people ;-)
joking beside, you have a point as the item sink problem is probably minor to the balancing aspect of "restricting endgame". it's really seen rather as a means to balance progression by ggg.

i like that restricted access to endgame maps enforces user interaction and partying (it's a multiplayer online arpg after all) but it surely has too many negative aspects (not only for self found players).
my hope relies on the remaining act4 bosses and areas to come and the changes to endgame they will bring.
Last edited by vio on Jun 23, 2015, 5:56:02 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
geradon wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

So, gate people from challenging content and have them grind lower content to hope for RNG to allow them a glimpse at the challenging higher content and call it... challenging.
I don't want to have to point out the obvious here..

i looked hard and can't see the obvious.

the goal is to restrict players from endgame because the game has no mandatory item sink.

this can be done by either
- having a insane difficulty at higher levels
- by having moderate difficulty and limit access to these areas
- introduce an item sink like gear deterioration, monsters stealing your gear or ...

imho ggg balanced it pretty well at the moment as the qq about too much difficulty in higher levels and the inability to trade for endgame maps is pretty equal.

Call a spade a spade.

For example.... "The highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require a massive currency investment and good RNG to reach and maintain."

Or.... "Being challenged by highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require currency several times what will drop in each map, per map, along with good RNG to reach and maintain."

Or.... "The highest tiers of maps (level 80 to 82) will still require buying maps, via fair means or foul and roflestomping in 6 man rotations to lessen the currency sink, thus trivialising the challenge any way, along with good RNG to reach and maintain."

See?

Spade = spade.

Challenge = challenge.

Roflestomp = roflestomp.

Unsure if I'm just feeding the troll atm, but...

Currency sink is a tool used in EVERY game. You HAVE to introduce a way to spend currency or else EVERYTHING will be super inflated in price and new players will be unable to purchase anything. Even with the currency sink in place, permanent leagues have prices jacked up incredibly high.

GGG, I like the fact that you guys finally realize that spending all your currency on 71 72 maps are a little rediculous. I am all for spending all my currency on 78 79 maps to have low chance at 80-82 maps. That I am totally okay with.
"
Wangwutang wrote:

Currency sink is a tool used in EVERY game. You HAVE to introduce a way to spend currency or else EVERYTHING will be super inflated in price and new players will be unable to purchase anything. Even with the currency sink in place, permanent leagues have prices jacked up incredibly high.

the question rather was whether it's wise for a game to hide endgame access behind player interaction and call that "a challenge".
Last edited by vio on Jun 23, 2015, 5:58:52 AM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

Call a spade a spade.

See?

Spade = spade.

Challenge = challenge.

Roflestomp = roflestomp.

Everything you wrote sounds like a challenge to me...

Challenge: "a task or situation that tests someone's abilities." (most appropriate definition for this case).

"
"...will still require a massive currency investment and good RNG to reach and maintain."

amassing currency sounds like a challenge to me

"
"...will still require buying maps, via fair means or foul and roflestomping in 6 man rotations to lessen the currency sink, thus trivialising the challenge any way, along with good RNG to reach and maintain."

competing against 5 others who may ninja your loot? increased difficulty for 6 player life? still sounds challenging to me.

But hey what do I know, Ive never made it to level 100! I just find it interesting someone with only one character at level 100 in SC would cry about being gated rather than 'challenged' :s

Everyone knows games like these require some sort or endgame sink or limitation. I think the way GGG is going about it seems pretty sweet, that famous RNG still plays a part.

Of course like everyone else who wants to cry over the way this game is evolving, you are welcome to find something else to play (especially since it doesn't look like you've actually dropped any coin yet). Perhaps find a game that is older and more outdated so you wont have to deal with changes or new updates.

If GGG feel this is the right direction for their game then I support it, I think people need to remember that, this is THEIR game and they have a vision.

ps. before anyone starts having a go about time/money wasted, Ive wasted a lot more time and money on things a lot less worthwhile than path. Such is life, but it goes on.

He called it a challenge, didn't define what type of, didn't define how challenging, and got picked on for technicalities. I smell a witch burning...
twitch.tv/Owwlll
Last edited by Owwlll on Jun 23, 2015, 6:22:06 AM
Good changes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info