Legacy items are bullshit

"
Malone wrote:
legacy items are only an issue for those who can't afford them.

No, they are an issue for those, who kept them at the time they gone legacy.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
mark1030 wrote:
That was the biggest eye opener yet for me. I don't see how any legacy can possibly influence the game as much as those two mirrored weapons. Geez. Those are insane.

Haven't you read the threads about people complaining about mirrors and eternals?
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
That was the biggest eye opener yet for me. I don't see how any legacy can possibly influence the game as much as those two mirrored weapons. Geez. Those are insane.

Haven't you read the threads about people complaining about mirrors and eternals?
Not really. I usually don't care what other people have. But seeing them in this thread makes the whole "legacies ruin the game" argument seem petty when no legacy gives anything close to the advantage that those items give.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Read that all the way through.. Lemme bump your thoroughly thought out thread out the door real quick.

#1, political correctness sucks; if you're so stuck up that you can't take someone saying something you don't like for ANY reason you're immature, and the world should not revolve around the immature. YES, I am aware that we live in a pathetically PC world; it sickens me, if I were older than 27 I'd say "back in my day people had thicker skin.." Sadly, seems I'm one of few that have had the thick skin gene passed down from the generations above; a gene which sorely needs to be repopulated. -- Your feelings got hurt? Boo hoo, why did the words spoken matter to you in the first place?

---

#2, legacy items are the shiznit! Main reason as follows; while the game(as many others) is progressing, by that I mean becoming more balanced, there are things that will have to be changed to round everything out. As far as PoE goes, with the passive tree that GGG(specifically the team that developed the tree itself, awesome job on this) has the ability to make tweaks to for balancing purposes(as well as content upgrades) they are able to iron out kinks n smooth out wrinkles, so to speak, without major over-haul of the items(which is big, because, while changing items is easy[stop thinking about uniques] remember that there are a great number of modifiers for rare items that would be legacy[and some are, i.e. IQuantity]) So, by tweaking the tree for most of the balances made they are able to leave most of the items alone; the *FEW* that survive after a change, being made legacy, become a different class of item all-together. This essentially creates a whole new tier of item; some valued for better modifiers, some valued for different graphics, what ever the reason.. They are valued higher, thus making them a collector item. Which is a very cool thing in a game such as this, why you may ask? -- As the years go by, providing PoE survives(and I think it will) the legacy items will become more and more elusive. Those who wish to have them for any reason, power, looks, or, just to collect will have to pay more and more for the older the item as time goes by. Again, why is this good? Investment! Those who hold onto items, or start collecting early, or have old characters and/or have played for a long time AND have kept their original gear get a kick back that grows as time goes by.

---

#3, Was gon say something else, but, my short term memory is shat.. 2bContinued I'm sure.

On #2 you are incorrect sir, Popeye's chicken is the shiznay.
Make Things For Smile!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

are these items fair?

these are not legacy, a new player does not have these, can probably buy any power changing legacy unique in the game for cheaper than he can mirror items like these. At the point you can mirror a piece of gear, you can mirror any legacy mod rare or buy a legacy unique/gem. IIQ gems are worth an exalt, a mirror is worth about 215 exalts.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/515441

look through this thread, you think if the legacy stats in here were rerolled to current stats that standard league would become 'fair' for a new player? you want to make a case to me that a new player today entering standard today playing along side other people who have over 6000 exalts in their stash would have a fair economic experience?

Realise that it can never be fair, that your IIQ gem and your 40% coil are meaningless. A new player, if they knew what they were doing, could grind this game for 2 days and buy an IIQ gem and a 40% coil. Rerolling legacy items to current values would move the slider 1 inch along a 10 lightyear bar that ends in a sign post that reads "fair". You would achieve all the bad things that come with nerfing legacy gear and would completely fail to achieve in any shape or form the "fair" league you are striving for. The reason for this is that standard is a perm league that has been running for over 2 years, it would take a new player 2 years to achieve what people there have achieved, at which point hes still 2 years behind because now the original guys have been there for 4 years. The only way to make it fair would be to wipe the league and start again at the precise moment that new player starts playing...

do you see where Im going with this? We need a wipe to make things fair, GGG know this, and they have made a system where they have an entirely new, wiped server 3 times a year for everyone to start over again in to achieve exactly what you are saying.

Truth is, anyone who cant afford legacy gear and mirrored gear in standard, they are going to start a fresh league day 1 and within 2 minutes the same sort of people who can afford those things in standard will be twice as far ahead of them. By the end of day 2 those players will have 30x their wealth and be 3 times further in character progression, by the end of the 4th week those people will have characters leveled beyond the point that new guy will probably ever be able to level a character in a year and will own more wealth in that league than that guy will ever own at 1 time no matter how long he plays. If this isnt true, then hes the very rare sort of new player who will be able to afford any legacy or mirrored gear in standard league as soon as he finds his stride. Thats the truth of the situation, if you cant hit lvl100 and own 500 exalts in a temp league you were never going to be in the running for anything and it didnt matter at all if people have legacy gear or started the game 2 years before you did, you were never going to measure up and maintain an equal footing. I dont measure up, I have 12 exalts in my stash right now, I dont have lvl100 characters, got nothing to do with legacy items, legacy mods, time invested, all that stuff is completely irrelevant. We can start a fresh, fair league tomorrow and people will be ahead of me from minute 1, the same people who are ahead of me in standard league, same people that given any length of time will always be ahead of me in this game. I dont kid myself that the extra 32% crit multi on their amulet is responsible for that.

Those items are fair, you worked for them. Congrats!
Make Things For Smile!
"
PHRandom wrote:
Every legacy has its own niche. For example, quill rain does wonders if you get a way to cast things like explosive arrow or any spell with CoC plus an attack to trigger it, as it has biggest attack speed and those spells doesn't lose damage from negative affix that quill rain has. On other way, tabula rasa doesn't give any stat, neither armor nor health but is a valuable unique due to 6-Link white sockets. This allow players to make powerful 6-Link combos otherwise forbidden for most players.

As people should notice, legacy items are only the iceberg edge, as you may also run rares and even magics with great efficiency. Why? Because every item synergizes with passive tree choices and with such a big passive tree plus lots of RNG, players need to test every piece of their build every time. With legacy items is no different, adapting them to your build may be a great challenge but its worth.

In resume, they are NOT bullshit at all.

Wait, what?

Neither Quill Rain nor Tabular Rasa have legacy versions.

:/
Casually casual.

Spoiler
u mad?

but seriously tho if you feel like you need certain legacys in your build then you can get literally every legacy with enough currency.
I'm glad someone got the mirror-item point across.

You have the same chance to drop a Loathe Bane as you do a 1000 life Kaoms, yet the focus is legacy stuff. There is no difference, other than a hypothetical, theoretical, infinitesimally small chance for a self-found player to find one. And of course, legacy gear is almost always cheaper.

A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
There is no "mirrored item point." It is, once again, assuming the strawman argument of "other players have really nice things and I'm jealous." Such a strawman is not my position - only half of it.

Those crazy mirror items have absolutely nothing with GGG nerfing items in the name of balance (which means: temporary league standards). Again, my complaint is that portions of Standard are nerfed, while functionally identical portions aren't. Not nerfing things in Standard at all would make the most sense, nerfing both previous and future drops would be meh but at least logically consistent, but the way it is now is just hypocrisy.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 25, 2015, 6:41:59 AM
I quit playing PoE because of the legacy items. I just could not stomach playing a loot finding game where the BEST loot exists but cannot drop anymore. I could not stomach having a nerfed version drop when I know that there are better versions available, but no matter how much I play, the best version will never drop again.

It made me sad and disheartened. Path of Exile is my favorite game, but I refuse to play it anymore.... I have not logged in since the nerf to all the block on unique items.
Last edited by IamtheAxeMan on May 25, 2015, 11:19:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info