Legacy items are bullshit

These are only the self-found ones, I have a bunch I traded for.

Anyway it seems to me that GGG dont want to disappoint their long term supporters and at the same time use the legacy items as an excuse when someone tries to criticize the heavy handed way they deal with balance. See, we dont change EVERYTHING in the game XD
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Anyway it seems to me that GGG [...] use the legacy items as an excuse when someone tries to criticize the heavy handed way they deal with balance. See, we dont change EVERYTHING in the game XD
They've never said anything like that, but they don't need to, people in this thread will say that for them.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
There is no "mirrored item point." It is, once again, assuming the strawman argument of "other players have really nice things and I'm jealous." Such a strawman is not my position - only half of it.

Those crazy mirror items have absolutely nothing with GGG nerfing items in the name of balance (which means: temporary league standards). Again, my complaint is that portions of Standard are nerfed, while functionally identical portions aren't. Not nerfing things in Standard at all would make the most sense, nerfing both previous and future drops would be meh but at least logically consistent, but the way it is now is just hypocrisy.

It's still not Hypocrisy. It's still a trade-off.
@Sickness: If it's a trade-off, what's the trade?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Not nerfing things in Standard at all would make the most sense, nerfing both previous and future drops would be meh but at least logically consistent, but the way it is now is just hypocrisy.

If your main concern is logical consistency they could get around that by just changing the name of the new versions. "Kaom's Heart" is the +1000 life chest and "Kaom's Blazing Heart" is the +500 life chest with fire damage. The legacy version goes the way of IIQ gem and stops dropping.

They don't have to update legacy items to attain consistency.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
So a man drives into an automobile dealership and steps out.
"I'd like to return this car."
"It drove in fine enough. Doesn't look broke to me."
"I just bought it an hour ago and it will not go in reverse."
"You're right, it doesn't do that. Particular kink in the engine."
"Well how the hell am I supposed to drive a car I can't reverse?"
"Just don't make any mistakes."
"Well I already did. Look at this side here. Scratched it all up trying to get out of a parking spot."
"Well, I guess it was the best you could do."
"Huh?"
"In any case, you got out, so the car doesn't need reverse."
"Uh, yes it does."
"Noop. Good day sir."

Now if this sounds like the person buying the engine is getting utterly fucked over, you are right. Just as GGG was getting screwed when they somehow bought an engine which wouldn't allow them to make mistakes.

This is astonishing enough, but it's not even like GGG has replaced the original after a few days. No sir. This is an issue which has been around for years, yet continually expressed as a dichotomy between short-term options... and that is bullshit.

-----

Recently I conducted a little experiment. I wanted to see what people felt about the "legacy item" policy in regards to something which isn't as directly tied to gameplay. So I made this thread regarding legacy flavour text.

The results, as of this writing, are: if a piece of politically incorrect, potentially offensive poem made its way onto an item, 42% would want it to remain, 45% would want it struck from ALL copies of the item, and only 13% would want to "legacy" the non-PC flavour text.

The results don't surprise me too much. If you don't think something is broke, you don't want it fixed; if you think it is broke, you want it fixed everywhere.

Furthermore, the legacy option sends a very strange message. On the one hand it seems to pay lip service to the political correctness element, while on the other it seems to tell them the text is okay for others to enjoy. It's like if a workplace had a policy of "hey guys, I'm not saying you can't tell racist jokes, but for Pete's sake don't tell them where any non-white folk can hear you." It oozes a hypocrisy the other two options lack.

Now the linked thread was closed for getting out of control, and I don't intend this thread to be on that topic specifically. Instead I ask: as a game developer, shouldn't GGG have even more passion for its gameplay and mechanics than it has for political correctness? And if so, and half-measures like the "legacy item" policy make no sense for flavour text, don't they make even less sense for actual gameplay factors?

If it doesn't need fixing, don't fix it. But if it does, don't halfass the fix.

-----

Legacy items change in viability almost every major patch. Naturally, the legacies themselves don't change, because that might make too much sense and we couldn't have that. But like all uniques, everything else changes around them.

Upcoming potential aura changes have Shavronne's Wrappings users scrambling for Enlightens. Cloak of Defiance becomes a new animal with the beta EB change. The death of spell shotgunning has us wondering how Taryn's Shiver and Freezing Pulse will get along. A Flameblast nerf effects Infernal Mantle builds. Bringer of Rain got its block chance reduce both on- and off-item. As base life and life nodes have changed over the years, Kaom's Heart has lost power (as I predicted years ago).

And so on, ad infinitum.

So if so much balancing is done dancing around the institutionalized immutability of legacy items, couldn't we just always change the passive tree and/or support gems and leave the uniques themselves alone?

Almost, perhaps. But certainly not, due to one stopper: legacy items themselves. You can't balance block chance in Standard around both legacy and non-legacy Bringer of Rain. Or ES around both legacy and non Shavronne's Wrappings. If one is balanced, the other is either under- or overpwered.

So essentially, if you're in Standard, you are either in the Old Player Club with access, or you're not. You might be able to buy your way in if you're new, but it's definitely not something you'll be able to do on your own. Only old members can sponsor new members.

And perhaps that - leaving your maximum gearing potential solely and squarely to the whim of another player - is the most bullshit of all.

this is only a problem in standard league. it's just a game anyway. what is the big issue with legacy items in a permanent league with items overflowing there left and right and never going away.

play in the temp leagues if you don't like it. standard is what it is :)
Last edited by kompaniet on May 25, 2015, 12:59:07 PM
(Note: This has been sitting in my draft bin for a while. I don't know why I never got back around to posting it, but here it is, albeit a little late in the discussion)

I feel that a strict no-legacy policy for the sake of balance is really grasping at straws. The reasons are two:

Least of all, there exist far greater imbalances in our itemization scheme, that any affect to legacy items would have little to know impact on balance (as a concept).

More-over, most re-balance is little more than a stepping stone for the "moving target"--which is, if nothing else, by its own nature the conceptual embodiment of imbalance. This is an observable pattern, repeated each patch iteration, whereby the "moving target" seeks the greatest common denominator for the sake of generating a new brand of imbalance to fuel the next iteration.

Otherwise, balance as a concept only exists in PoE's extremes, where things would cease to function, or function far too well. Legacy items do not exist in those extremes (or, far enough into).
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
I'm not the one arguing for balance in Standard League. GGG does with one Janus face, while the other says old items should remain unchanged. When I mention balance, I do so from the point of view of GGG's double-talk perspective, in the ironic spirit of proof by contradiction.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 25, 2015, 3:45:39 PM
I meant balance as a concept; an intangible thing around which there can be ponderances of double-talk, contradictions, or even steadfast adherence to.

Except there cannot be, because it does not exist in the realm of PoE--a game where the principle philosophy has thus far been to maintain functional imbalance.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on May 25, 2015, 4:03:00 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
functional imbalance.
The hell does this even mean?

The standards by which a "moving target" metagame is judged are:
1. Continually shifting top dogs
2. As close as possible to zero power creep
The standard by which balance is judged is:
1. Diverse metagame of top options with roughly equal viability

A moving target metagame and balance are irrelevant to each other. Even if you fall into a common moving-target pitfall and create a lot of power creep, if you release enough new stuff the power creep can be balanced against each other (despite trumping the old stuff).
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 25, 2015, 4:24:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info