Item Development - Information

i think Complexity is not a weakness, Complexity is what i love at POE, because you can make unique characters
GGG are geniuses... end of story

everyone was thinking act 4 in next patch

GGG releases an item that starts oskills (imo a cool idea.. but very controversial)

gives a small statement preparing us for no act 4 (later this year)

bam... no act 4.. but 80% of ppl are focused on staff argument :)
IGN: McPeen / Sex / iLeap
"
"
Recomposed wrote:
"

Oh, really? Grow up.

You're just a player who, I imagine, only cares about their own experiences and enjoyment. That is what I get from your response.

As opposed to a tester, as a person concerned with the health of the game. Someone who'll give feedback based on more than just whether or not an item or skill is 'overpowered'.

Hey bud I really do enjoy the game and I LOVE how successful the game has been. I'm very happy it's found a solid/growing playerbase

from that 2nd bit, am I supposed to take it that you're a tester? for poe? you did pay them a quarter salary so I'd hope they'd let you.

'quarter salary'...you just betrayed how small-minded you really are, yet again. In some countries, it was over a year's salary. In some circles, it was a big weekend. In others yet, it was a tax return.

Anyone who played the beta was a tester. Including, it seems, you.

Anyone who still plays is, in a way, a tester. GGG rely on players' feedback because there's simply no way their internal QA can catch in three weeks what 10k+ players can catch in three minutes. So don't mistake me when I say 'tester'. I'm not talking employee -- I'm talking anyone who feels as though they're part of this experiment, who realises it's about so much more than just whatever YOU get, YOU enjoy, YOU want.

I'm done. There are enough people posting here who have seen what I've seen for me to know I'm not just losing my mind. Enjoy.

PS love your character names! Classy shit! LOL.

If ANYONE but him had posted SHIT like this he would be on probation asap..Hell I had posts deleted for statements that don't even come close to this ( or any "you are just a player" statements)
My ENglish are indeed terrible but I think I know the meaning of an "antagonistic comment". There used to actually be mods in this game.

Frustrating
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
Does Icestorm have a base critchance? How high is it?
Can a Dev please answer this question so we can already make rought plans? (atleast IF it has Critchance!)
While Charan's tenor can sometimes be arrogant or offputting, his "Just A Player" is actually not, even if it can come across that way.

It's a mindset thing (which he explained better later) about how the game is viewed by someone and how they relate to their experiences in it. Player, Tester, Designer, Developer, etc all have different experiences, with Player tending to be the most short term, and narrowest scope of them (it's about that one Player's experience).

Charan assumes people read more of his posting than people actually do I think ;p. This is a subject he's posted about a lot.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
"
martinel91 wrote:
i think Complexity is not a weakness, Complexity is what i love at POE, because you can make unique characters

You're conflating the terms as used. You're talking about Depth. Complexity goes to the learning curve and all the different parts that require learning in the game.

Penny Arcade has a pretty good video about this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVL4st0blGU
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
Last edited by Archwizard on Apr 8, 2015, 2:57:46 PM
As long as oskills (I learned a term today!) are kept to a minimum, I don't see the need for the panic. It's a nifty staff.

All of you are fans of a game that borrows heavily from other similar games; why are you all so shocked and terrified when things like this happen?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
when the expansion containing Act Four launches later this year

What? 'Later this year' imo means no Act IV in April-May... :(
At 100-300 base damage with 1000 int, one might assume that Icestorm could be better than a lvl 21 q20 Firestorm. However, it's restricted to a staff that's pretty lackluster from a power gaming standpoint (2 hands for 9% cast, +1 support gems, 100% spell damage, and 1 extra support slot). You can double the spell damage and quadruple the cast speed with wands (while getting +1 all gems in armor), and add significant spell crit + crit mult. That in and of itself more than makes up for the 1 extra support slot. Then you must consider all of the sacrifices made in gearing and passive selection to achieve such a high int value.

Firestorm itself isn't very efficient in high level mapping either, so it's a pretty poor benchmark to aspire to. You don't generally see endgame firestorm builds.

This is really just a budget-friendly unique, since Icestorm can be cast using 6 supports without a fusing expense. Experienced players who can afford good gear will have more effective clearing options. It's unfortunate that an item granting a unique skill doesn't appear to scale well enough to facilitate end-game desirability. It may be fun to use while leveling but leveling with twink gear represents such a small fraction of total play time.

It's still a nice unique, but nothing that excites me. It's sort of like a tabula in that it allows a newer player to level and complete low maps without a large currency/time investment. However, the mechanics (building so strongly around int scaling), as well as the lack of information about icestorm itself, is not new player friendly. It's not a unique that a new player can find/trade for and incorporate into their existing build - they have to design around it from the get-go.

It seems like a noob trap, since it pigeonholes a player into gear and passive selections that are only effective with that staff, but the power of the staff plateaus at low level maps (beyond which clearing becomes overly inefficient relative to alternatives). A new player would be better off using flameblast.

PS.
The skill description from the hotkey tooltip is insufficient. We need to know:
keywords
radius
critical strike chance
damage effectiveness

Players can figure this out via testing but it would be better for GGG to release the info explicitly so if/when things are buffed/nerfed they can refer to specific values.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Skreeves wrote:
Does Icestorm have a base critchance? How high is it?
Can a Dev please answer this question so we can already make rought plans? (atleast IF it has Critchance!)

It seems to be very much like firestorm.

(from image) 5% base crit.
(from image) 1s base cast time.
(from image) 22 base mana cost.
(implied) 20% damage effectiveness.
(implied) 10 ice shards per second.
(implied) 1.3s base duration.
(implied) 25 base aoe for storm, 9 base aoe per ice shard.

... Yeah, this is really too much information to just omit. :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info