I'm Surprised to Find that Melee is Easy

I've heard a lot of people say melee is weak and stuff over the past year or so, but all that time I never committed SERIOUSLY, to a melee build of my own. But with my last character I have committed to it. And I have to say it's the easiest to play, and strongest, fastest clearing, tankiest character I've ever made.

I even had a six linked soul mantle character who I thought was clearing really fast and was really strong. But nooooo, compared to melee the character was slow AND fragile. Sure my totem build was doing tons of damage, but the projectiles had to travel there first and would often get blocked by obstacles on the map. But with melee I just leap on top once, maybe twice, and then boom they instantly explode.

I'm not seeing any disadvantage to playing melee (other than desync being more punishing). Am wrong? What am I missing?
"
BearCares wrote:
And I have to say it's the easiest to play, and strongest, fastest clearing, tankiest character I've ever made.

Sorry, but if that is true you really suck at creating builds. ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
And your opinion is based on clearing what kind of content with what kind of build and gear ?
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
"
BearCares wrote:
I've heard a lot of people say melee is weak and stuff over the past year or so, but all that time I never committed SERIOUSLY, to a melee build of my own. But with my last character I have committed to it. And I have to say it's the easiest to play, and strongest, fastest clearing, tankiest character I've ever made. [...]

Seeing that you do not have a single lv 80+ character, your experience regarding cleer speed is heavily limited. If you think that your melee build is the fastest cleering build you ever made, you surely have never played Windripper Tornado Shot ot ll Kinetic Blast wander.
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
melee is fun to play, but that comes with a price: biggest fkn gear-check in the whole game.
if you don't have the gear, your fun is bound to end. really, really quickly.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
How easy was your 76 maps with Vuln, extradamage, shocking ground, etc..?
d:-D*
Melee is godly until you hit 72+ maps WITH hard mods, your tanky character becomes a piece of paper vs a big pack of -max, + added elemental damage, + damage group

Where as a ranged character can just kill all those nasty mobs without having to be hit

posts 550+ 2h dps weapon few days ago
...now melee is easy

btw beacares your alltime favorite is beyond league isnt hard while admitting you hide in a party and your followup i died fighting merc merveil SOLO

you have sodium quality thats for sure
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Every build has its nemesis(es). I too was pretty impressed when I started a melee character, after playing only ranged/minion casters before. Enemies that were a challenge with a caster, were a cakewalk with the melee. But I played with the caster-glasses on, and in my case things began to change in Act 3 cruel.

Unless you build a 99% defensive character and just slowly change points/items for damage, it quickly will be much less effective than a ranged/caster character in advanced content.
I'm guessing the fastest you can clear with melee is by using a heavy hitting skill with HoA prolif. Even then it is not nearly as fast as the ranged options.

As for survivability, melee has it better but only because it absolutely has to. You are throwing yourself into danger. Ranged doesn't need all of that because you kill things from afar.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info