Skills that have to be buffed in order to acheive a balanced game

But if you combine both suggestions!

Then you have CC AOE and burn so you could reliably spec for single target while also yielding AOE potential at the same time :).

And you would have freedom to enter the witches tree for some funky stuff.

Arguably, the ranged version might become sick because of harbingers (hur dur) and wands (more hodor).

But from a melee stance this would be fun, maybe a new skill all together '-.-?

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : on the other hand, if they remove ailments from crit in act4 (just guessing here) this might be legit even for ranged an interesting choice for crit builds.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Mar 5, 2015, 7:18:15 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
It is impossible in the current engine.

Fire can never be converted to cold since it would cause a circular conversion with cold to fire. The conversion path must be a DAG; no cycles allowed.
That's why the "ignores conversions" line was added. Any conversion from cold/lightning to fire (or, theoretically, between cold and lightning) from gear, supports or Avatar of Fire would be treated as it didn't exist, preventing infinite loop.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 5, 2015, 8:16:28 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

Fire can never be converted to cold since it would cause a circular conversion with cold to fire. The conversion path must be a DAG; no cycles allowed.
That's why the "ignores conversions" line was added. Any conversion from cold/lightning to fire (or, theoretically, between cold and lightning) from gear, supports or Avatar of Fire would be treated as it didn't exist, preventing infinite loop.

... Then that means the skill wouldn't scale with fire, cold, lightning, elemental, or weapon elemental modifiers. That seems pretty counterintuitive, don't you think?
I rather like that idea, even though it would almost entirely make EE into a non-decision.. but I don't think that would (in this case) be necessarily a bad thing.

Edit: @Pneuma: It was my impression that Scrotie's EH would convert all elemental damage to a single element. Would that preclude interaction with any increases?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Mar 5, 2015, 10:59:32 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

... Then that means the skill wouldn't scale with fire, cold, lightning, elemental, or weapon elemental modifiers.
How do you come to such an apparently ridiculous conclusion?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Actually, I misread your original suggestion.

I could get on board with
"Adds x-y elemental damage.
Converts 100% of elemental damage to a random element.
Ignores all other damage conversions."

Flat added is optional; the last line is the important part, as it precludes "new" EH from being yet another phys skill.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Mar 5, 2015, 11:09:03 PM
Ah, you noticed.

No, I was thinking of actually allowing physical conversions to not be ignored by the skill. It was deliberate on my part. I feel that as long as the leveling bonus is flat elemental damage, it can still use Empower scaling, a purely elemental route should work fine. As long as that much is true, what is the harm in allowing a physical-scaling version of the build?

Why the hate, CHP?
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 5, 2015, 11:56:32 PM
your build is fine, however it has been done before and youll soon see that around 74-75 the damage simply is not enough

also - if you want to follow that route - try to get at least moderate phys damage on weapons (or maybe use fast +LGOH claws) to facilitate mana and life leech. 6Link is not feasible for most and a build that HAS to use 6Link is not a build sadly

btw ive planned similar build and i think that The Vertex helmet is perfect match for Ele Hit. another semi-good candidate is rather obscure and widely ignored:

as for the main topic:

"
Sweep

this skill gem is overshadowed by Ground Slam, Leap Slam, Static Strike and Cleave. has silly 20% D.reduction, scales strangely with aspd, roots in place and has annoying knockback. every single one is enough to make skill risky, yet this one has it all. each time ive tried - and ive leveled 3 gems up to 19 before giving up - crit, non crit, staff, mace - each time simply replacing Sweep with Leap Slam/Ground Slam made the build better

Hege staff is an abomination - skill should NOT BE EVER CENTERED AROUND ONE ITEM!
suggestion: 100% DE (why it is <100% anyway?), remove knockback (put on quality so people who absolutely need it can still get this perk)

"
Shock Nova

Oh the golry days of .9 era when there was no dead zone.. this skill has only one (and that is being generous) use - shocking for non-crit + proliferation. and it is meh at it still. shock nova got shafted numerically and mechanically but what makes her dead is the dead zone, more precisely - desync disallowing precise aiming.
make +aoe scale only OUTER ring, keeping the dead zone the same size regardless of AOE

Spoiler
Barrage

hold it. hold it! yes, barrage. the staple of pretty much every proj-based CoCS build. sadly - noone uses it for 'normal' damage. there is something very wrong with it, mostly the lackluster AOE potential. tried many times, placed it on pierce/non-pierce/crit/non-crit/phys/ele archers and each time it was just 'use burning arrow instead' (and that tells, tells a lot)
suggestion: no idea, any buff here helps also CoCS builds and these should be shafted not buffed..

"
Lightning Trap

it seems fine, numbers are nice but.. it just does not work. Trap+Arc is a better lightning trap than dedicated Lightning Trap. i've tried it with pierce chance, various setups with lmp/gmp/fork etc and each time trap+arc is simply better. even shocking can be done better with - blasphemy - shock nova + trap. enter Three Dragons and shocking can be done even easier if one so desires.
suggestion: 50% build in proj pierce chance (i've played it with ~100% and it was STILL bad so it is not another arc-level buff) + numbers tweak

"
Punishment

buffed in 1.1 (?) from total obscurity to total obscurity. has no place in this game atm. even used with 50+ Dominating Blow army the damage 'dealt' to enemies is laughable and not worth the mana cost. It should reflect all types of damage (sans chaos) and the amount reflected much higher. currently - waste of a gem slot and stash space

Chance to flee.. just remove it

Charan said
"
"
Boem wrote:
"
dual dreamfeather vs two 30%+ Eleweap cutlasses with crit chance and crit multi may be a very, very close call. Or it may not.

It's not, dual dreamfeather would beat it if done correctly.

And crit scales all, dreamfeather is no exception to that scenario.

(you should have gone with double daggers, which would yield better results :p)

just read your next post, there is no way to touch EE to favor EH since it has to many secondary utility and purposes. And like mentioned before double heralds/double aura's will far outshine EE's benefit to a clean EH build, just by pure numbers, but also penetration of elemental resistances in general.

How about the quality provides a %chance to proliferate and a %status effect.

Extremely powerfull imo

At 20%quality something like 35% chance to prolif in 15 radius and 10% status chance?

Another thought while reading this, how about making it the first actual hybrid skill?
What i mean is allow faster casting to act as faster attacking and spell damage as %elemental, this way a spell caster could potentially utilize this skill as a single target finisher and use his spell for AOE coverage.

(fap battlemage fap :o) )

Peace,

-Boem-

No one makes me shake my head on here quite as much as you. That's a skill and a talent.

I meant two cutlasses with those stats.

And EH/EE works marvelously. You just have to eliminate flat elemental damage. Not that hard. It'd be nice if EH cycled rather than random, but it's not that important.

but yeah, daggers would have been better. Just not as cool-looking. My testing takes that into account as well. I've gone dual rather sword+board, which would be a lot more durable and probably not much less offensive. Either way, don't expect big changes. Not with Elemental Hit. I like that some players propose crazy stuff because they have no real idea how hard it is to get changes done at GGG, but I'll try to keep this realistic.

Thx i suppose? I Imagine that's a rather hard feat to accomplish :3, i blame my lack of caring.

My point actually was, that you could go crit with double dreamfeathers as-well and that scaling double dreamfeathers will yield more flat%elemental and as such will have a bigger impact on your WeD gem.

I looked at your passive tree and the crit is non-existent, well it's an oldschool crit style (a rare occurrence) so your actually getting zero to none profit from those stats, while flat elemental% will always have an effect.

If we assume 20000 evasion (not a hard number to reach) that's 50% elemental per feather if i am not mistaken. Which free's up a lot of passive points while at the same time providing defenses.

It looks fun and i am happy your enjoying yourself and making it work. But you do have 4x t1 elemental% rolls and a 6-link to back it up so i am not sure this is indicative of a good functioning skill.

Have you considered to use elreons -mana jewelry btw? I assume this could be quite strong for this particular set-up/build.

Another thing that came to my attention is how you cant use a penetration gem to back up this gem which really hurts it potential.

So maybe the quality could also go in that direction at 20% have 20 penetration on all resistances? That would indirectly buff its potential and might make it strong enough in itself.

ill go post in that ele hit threat after i let my dogs walk. Make some suggestions there, might be more appropriate and visible for GGG.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Ah, you noticed.

No, I was thinking of actually allowing physical conversions to not be ignored by the skill. It was deliberate on my part. I feel that as long as the leveling bonus is flat elemental damage, it can still use Empower scaling, a purely elemental route should work fine. As long as that much is true, what is the harm in allowing a physical-scaling version of the build?

Why the hate, CHP?

No hate for phys scaling ;) It's just that, for the most part, physical attack damage is elemental damage, and some degree too much of elemental attack damage is really just physical damage disguised in colorful clothes.

I have a feeling (just feels, no facts) that if EH were allowed to scale via phys, right off the gem, then it'll be yet another "Flaring and Tyrannical BIS for weapons" skill. On the other hand, disallowing phys scaling, right off the gem, could force a shift in itemization priorities... and let's face it, that's really the only way to encourage decision-making within our current affix itemization.

If phys scaling could exist and not be distinctly superior to stacking flat ele on gear, then my only concern would be that EH could be supplemented into any phys scaling build rather than requiring a new build of its own.. Whether or not that is a bad thing, I wouldn't know. In any case, I really like the mechanics behind your suggestion.
Devolving Wilds
Land

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info