Skills that have to be buffed in order to acheive a balanced game

Not going into all the points I agree/disagree with, but I like this thread. =)
"
I have responded to the appropriate thread, Boem. I'll iterate here what I said there: I'm not trying for a 'build'. I've used Elemental Hit intuitively, working around what appear to be its weaknesses and issues now. This is, to me, a good way to highlight what might need work and to bypass what might not.

___

Next I'm going to try Shock Nova.

Lolled at your response in "that other thread".

And you know i am not trying to force anything on you, just pointing out certain things that might be useful to your build and of relevance to EH as a whole.

Pretty sure you will as easily utilize them as disregard them as you see fit.

And i agree, nothing beats in-game knowledge then just picking it up and taking it for a spin.
It gives a certain flair to a build/character to make non-meta stuff function and i do similar stuff all the time, very rewarding at times especially when your somebody that enjoys exploring the mechanical depth of PoE.

Meta is so easily achieved :), but turning perceived dirt into a diamond is much more rewarding and takes effort and time.

Good luck with shock-nova my first thought would be a knockback gem :').

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
To be honest, Static Strike is what Shock Nova should had been. No amount of buff would fix that inner ring hole Shock Nova possess. It really needs a revamp. At least Ice Nova spreads out everywhere. Shock Nova does not do squat from point blank range. -__-
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

How to fix Shock Nova
Current radius: 14 to 26
New radius: 15 to 40

Keep the inner bubble drawback, give it otherwise the de facto craziest AoE in the game... and people will use it. No damage tweak needed.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 7, 2015, 2:36:38 AM
And you forgot the fact shock was reduced to a single stack.

In the old days reliably applying shock in successions was a great benefit, currently it is not.

How about giving it the freeze mine treatment?

Every unit shocked by shock nova gets an additional 10% lightning penetration from lightning spells for it's shock duration.

It's comparable and i have actually been tempted in some builds to utilize freeze mine prolif for this utility factor, maybe the same can be done for shock nova?

Wanna go the reallllyyyyyyy fun route do?

Make it a reservation cost buff that gives a 10-25 aoe static field around the character in which enemy's lose lightning pen. give it something like -15%/ attack speed/-10% move speed(electrical freezing up the muscles if that makes sense?) and up to 10% pen at max lvl.

Now you have a hard positioning skill that doesn't require casting but has a clear benefit when actively played with.

Peace,

-Boem-
There is no doubt in my mind shock nova is viable, since it's a lightning base spell and it has the AOE modifier tag on it.

The question really is, "is it fun to play" and i think that's where it fails with the exception of some people that enjoy quirky stuff and self-punishment.

I played with storm call and this build would basically be completely identical except that it would probably play worse.

(identical in passive tree min-max and gear acquisition)

A mix of the two could potentially work, echo storm call on yourself to cover the "dead center" with a delay and cast shock nova before the storm calls come down.

but again, your just increasing the duration of the fight to be quirky about it, a storm call would as easily take out everything at that stage :p.

Peace,

-Boem-

(also when the game still had triple shock stacks, nothing beat a shock nova trap + multitrap + prolif to apply a triple stack in screen wide AOE, not a single skill could compare to it crit or not, efficient or not because it happened instantly)
+1 to OP
Also:
Add Infernal Blow (higher aoe and buff Damage effectiveness 150% = Base damage),
Determination (and Armour as type of Defense pretty bad),
Vitality (make it work for solo players (like Heralds) or ONLY players (not work to monions)),
Hatred (buff for non crits and high physical damage),
Vulnerability (buff physical part),
Life Leech (buff leech rate non crit and non VP),
Melee Physical Damage and melee as the problem (why not buff melee phys damage support gem?)

EDT:
"
Melee splash. Dat 14 unit aoe, when accounting for desync issues, is so small it seems in a pack of 8 or so mobs you might hit 4 or 5 of them. It's not even worthwhile at that point when it's scarcely bigger than our character's hitbox, come on...

Special this! +1, would like to see it.
Shotgunning ruins Flame surge. Damage needs to be 2300-3000 at 20/20 to equal GMP Arctic breath

Put Shock nova in my Supernova spec - you'll wreck maps/APEX w/ 5 min clears. Way underrated.

Viper Strike would be good if monster had 10x more HP. As is they one shotted by most everything
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 11, 2015, 7:44:16 PM
I like the Supernova spec (is it yours?) but Shock Nova is basically strictly inferior to Ice Nova. Both have enough DPS but SN has internal dead zone and less max AoE range. That's why I said the only way to balance SN vs IN is to make sure SN gets better max AoE range than IN, in exchange SN gets the internal dead zone.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 11, 2015, 8:29:36 PM
Great Idea but I just want to mention Shock nova deals about 50% more real world DPS than IN due to shock stack. Also - in a setup like mine where you are lightning warping into center of packs that often kills by it self the close ones. You also dont need to drink both Ice and Lightning potions on reflect packs with SN.

I played around with it and after you get used to leaving some stragglers it's not bad
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 11, 2015, 8:30:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info