Getting one shot by Kole

"
Trainingmacro wrote:

Your immortal call didn't trigger because it has a player level requirement of 33 while your CWDT gem requires gems lower than 32.

You're reading it wrong. The IC he uses has a required level of 30.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Trainingmacro wrote:

Your immortal call didn't trigger because it has a player level requirement of 33 while your CWDT gem requires gems lower than 32.

You're reading it wrong. The IC he uses has a required level of 30.

Oh, nvm that then. I'm still interested in his passive tree though. We can then at least recalculate what damage Kobe did to him.
Fear the army of dots:
..............................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................
How can you recalculate the damage? That doesn't make any sense. All you know is Kole did enough to do a bit more than 3k damage in one hit. There would be no way to know how much more.
Should be easy enough to test. Get a character with a bunch of life or ES and let Kole hit it with no mitigation on. I'd bet 3k is not unusual for one of his hits.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"Area level 65"
You have level 62. 3k hp in melee. Complains about Kole being strong.

???

He is a freakin boss. Fighting him in melee without IC is a suicide. Just saying.
Also, what did you expect from a guy looking like this? That you will facetank him with your underlevel 3k hp?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Feb 23, 2015, 12:56:36 AM
I like Kole. He's a breah.
Second-class poe gamer
"
gilrad wrote:
First, yes Kole is absolutely ridiculous and anybody who says they can handle him no problem either are massively overgeared (like a dedicated Piety run build that decides to kill Kole while they're at it), or are outright lying.

my regular melee mapping builds can afk that fight, almost all of them except the ci dagger witch, all my life based melee builds can take the immortal call and enfeeble gems out of their codt setup, stand beside merciless kole and then I can walk away from my pc, come back in an hour and he would just be standing there hitting them over and over, they would never lose more than around 1k life at any point in that time. Thats no dedicated anything build thats just a bog standard, solid melee build.

I think this highlights just how radically different the game can seem to different players with different builds/game knowledge etc, and why so many people feel like armour is broken, melee is broken etc.

someone in another thread recently mentioned how its expensive to make hybrid armour evasion builds like mine work, I went and checked xyz and it would have cost about 3 chaos to get enough armour and evasion to completely afk merciless kole infinitely. He hits my char, I lose maybe 800 to 1200 life, then he misses because evasion is entropic avoidance, then he hits me again and at that point I have already passively regenerated back to 100% life, I lose 1000 or so again and it just repeats forever. no pots, no moving, no curses, no immortal call, no leeching, its just impossible for him to ever kill a well defended melee character. If when you get there you know you dont have the defenses to do that yet then you deal with him carefully, or maybe avoid him all together. Plenty of times Ive looked at my char and thought nah, were not ready for this guy atm and Ive just kited right past him and moved on to deal with piety when finishing merciless.

"
Dr1MaR wrote:

Kole, in other hand, can 1 shot you no matter what you do.

thats not true, as explained above, with proper melee defenses its actually impossible for him to kill you, its up to the player to recognize when they have the defenses to make him a total joke, when they have a level of defenses that need to take care and when they have awful defenses that should stay well clear of that monster.

See, we were talking about skill vs gear in the d3 thread elsewhere on the forums, this is a prime example. 3k life is pretty awful, and for him to hit you for 3k you must have had basically zero defenses, yet you say youve been doing fine with that amount. You dont even realise your character is a walking death trap because with enough playing skill you have managed to stay alive through a ton of content until one unfortunate desync in the wrong place caught you out. But make no mistake, your defenses must have been seriously lacking.

You can count on 1 hand the amount of fights that will 1 shot a properly defended character in this game, desync is a very real and very frustrating thing in those situations, like maze vaal, palace dominus, crema boss can instaburst you with 1 firestorm, obviously atziri... Merciless kole is not one of those fights, lvl71 colonnade kole is not even on that list, if he 1 shots you it was a glass character. Dont make the mistake of presuming because you managed to beat tons of content your character must be tanky, its possible to beat virtually everything in this game with an extremely glass cannon char most of the time providing you have skills, but glass characters are vulnerable to desync around big hitting mobs, theres very few legit 1 shot monsters but theres an awful lot of big hitters who can become 1 shotters if you have low defenses. Add an unfortunate desync to the mix and the playing skill that has carried you that far gets bypassed.
If a character can facetank pretty much all blues and yellows it's a tank. Even if flasks are required for this character the character is still able to tank the damage dealt to him. Kobe nearly oneshotted my 1.8k hp 8k armor character in cruel. I think the damage is a little disproportionate as I can take anything that Piety is throwing at me to the face and laugh it off.

I'm still interested in a passive tree so I can see what defensive nodes he has.
Fear the army of dots:
Last edited by Trainingmacro on Feb 24, 2015, 2:14:34 AM
"
Trainingmacro wrote:
Kobe nearly oneshotted my 1.8k hp 8k armor character in cruel. I think the damage is a little disproportionate as I can take anything that Piety is throwing at me to the face and laugh it off.

Apples and oranges. Piety is all elemental (maybe her fire phase does a bit of physical damage too, but that's peanuts), while Kole (not Kobe) is all about physical damage.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I think this highlights just how radically different the game can seem to different players with different builds/game knowledge etc, and why so many people feel like armour is broken, melee is broken etc.

Would you mind posting (here or via PM) some of the passive trees of your mentioned tanky melee characters? I'd really like to learn from them, being quite new to playing melee, and I suspect even my past ranged chars were a bit on glassy side... :)

Thanks!
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info