Mechanics thread

"
imthedan wrote:
You guys should rename this thread. I had no idea about this thread and I've seen "mechanics thread" for the past 8 months and never bothered to check it. I've been looking for a "All things PoE" type thread and this is perfect.

The only reason I clicked it this time was because I saw Mark posted last and I tend to check threads that have Dev posts.

even if you posted on FAQ Thread about how the game works ... someone will point you to this thread 100% ...

so I don't see the reason to change it's name ...

the combination of skill gems and supportive gems are so many ... I don't know what to use lool =))
Long Live the Templars !!!!
All I'm saying is "Mechanics thread" doesn't say the same as "PoE Everything you need to know" or whatever. When I saw the name Mechanics thread, I assumed it was more under-the-hood type stuff...

I'm probably alone on it so it's not that big of a deal, but it's funny because I've been a beta member since January and I still didn't fully understand how some of the things worked on the game. Reading this thread helped a lot.
yes it does... because everything you need to know IS [the] mechanics of the game. lol but yet there's still more info scattered around the forums, like on respective skill gem pages, and some random questions in thier own threads.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Glowyrm wrote:
For instance, I have a flask that recovers a lot of health over 3 seconds and then a 2nd flask that recovers a tiny bit of health over 6.5 seconds BUT gives me 30% Resists for the recovery duration.

Just now while at 20% health, I used the 1st flask and then immediately used the 2nd flask. I gained the 30% Resists right away, even though according to how the queue mechanic was explained I shouldn't have received the effect for the ~3 seconds the first flask was recovering.
This is correct - while queued, you're considered to be getting recovery from that flask. This prevents the case where you use, say, your resistance flask first, then use a second, faster flask, and lose the resistance because the new one caused the old one to be pushed onto a queue.

OK this is awesome and I'm loving this but please don't hate me for what I'm about to do :(

I'm going to dig a little deeper! This should be my last text assault on you, thank you very much for you time.

This assumes that the order in which flasks are used overrules recovery rate. If that is incorrect then I guess the rest of this doesn't make sense.

I have a +30% Resistance flask with 3 seconds recovery rate and a plain flask with 6 seconds recovery rate.

I use the 6 second flask first, and then use the 3 second + Resist one a second later.

Do I have +30% Resists for 9 seconds? The actual HEALING is queued up but the effect is ON because I'm considered to be "in recovery"? This sounds OP so I doubt it.

OR

The effect is ON separately from the healing but only lasts for the recovery time stated on the flask, regardless of when the healing portion happens (so the +30 Resists only ever lasts for 3 seconds max no matter what). In other words, the healing queues up but the effect activates right away and lasts 3 seconds (or whatever the recovery rate may be).
|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

"
Glowyrm wrote:
This assumes that the order in which flasks are used overrules recovery rate. If that is incorrect then I guess the rest of this doesn't make sense.
Order flasks are used in has no effect on which is actively recovering and which is queued if two are in use at the same time. Always, the one with the faster recovery (that's more life/mana recovered per second, not just the duration) is in progress, and all slower ones are queued until it finishes, regardless of which order they were used in.

"
Glowyrm wrote:
I have a +30% Resistance flask with 3 seconds recovery rate and a plain flask with 6 seconds recovery rate.

I use the 6 second flask first, and then use the 3 second + Resist one a second later.

Do I have +30% Resists for 9 seconds? The actual HEALING is queued up but the effect is ON because I'm considered to be "in recovery"? This sounds OP so I doubt it.
This is currently the case.

"
Glowyrm wrote:
The effect is ON separately from the healing but only lasts for the recovery time stated on the flask, regardless of when the healing portion happens (so the +30 Resists only ever lasts for 3 seconds max no matter what). In other words, the healing queues up but the effect activates right away and lasts 3 seconds (or whatever the recovery rate may be).
There are plans to change to this version, but it's not done yet.
Does the 2nd chance to evade critical strikes apply to monsters?

If so, the character screen dps hasn't been updated to account for it.

As an example, this is roughly what my wand witch has:

100 average damage per hit, 1 attack per second
80% chance to hit
60% to crit for 400% damage

Displayed dps is .8*.6*400 + .8*(1-.6)*100 = 224
Actual dps is .8*.6*.8*400 + .8*(1-.6)*100 = 185.6
it's honestly a second chance? i thought it was just "crits can miss too now" basically... so criting isn't 100% chance to hit, it's the same as your normal hit.

check if attack will hit
if true, check if crit.

is it like that, devs?
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
check if attack will hit
if true, check if crit.

is it like that, devs?
That's the old version.

Now, after determining if it would crit from the attacker's crit chance, it checks evasion again, and on a miss the hit avoids becoming a crit.
Thx good job, this thread helped me a lot. :)
wow, that's a LOT of info. Thanks!
//go next

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info