Mechanics thread

Thank you! This is awsome :)
Users devided in nationalities: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11469
I am uncertain on how "big nodes" behave, on the image below if i put a point on the skill marked by the red box, does it enable the skill with green box to be selected?

Last edited by DrTenma on Nov 14, 2011, 9:44:49 AM
What is the difference between "Elemental damage" (like on Sceptres) and "Spell damage) (f.e. on Wands)?

Unavailable

Unavailable

If I'm using for example Infernal Blow, is the fire damage affected by increased elemental damage or increased spell damage?

Or does "elemental damage" only affect the absolut elemental dmg values that are sometimes on weapons (like x-x fire dmg)?
Last edited by siis on Nov 14, 2011, 1:57:58 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Elemental damage means elemental damage. If you have increased elemental damage then it will increase all the fire, cold and lightning damage you deal, regardless of whether it's with spells or attacks.

Spell damage refers to all damage dealt by spells, regardless of type.

For example, detonate dead is a spell which deals some physical damage - that would be increased by spell damage increases, but not by elemental damage increases.
Likewise, Glacial Hammer is an attack, not a spell, so none of it's damage is increased by spell damage increases, but since some of the damage is dealt as cold, that would be affected by elemental damage increases.

Not all elemental damage is dealt by spells, and not all spell damage is elemental.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 14, 2011, 5:04:37 PM
Great update, Malice.

I would suggest removing the following sentence from the skill linking section, as this is no longer applicable and may be taken out of context.
"
Malice wrote:
Additionally, two skill gems of the same type can be used in separate socket groups to allow for more linking opportunities.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Nov 14, 2011, 6:03:03 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Elemental damage means elemental damage. ...
Not all elemental damage is dealt by spells, and not all spell damage is elemental.

*harrumph* *pouts*
Where are the modifiers for chaos (poison) damage?

Lord Nurgle is not pleased... >:(
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
"
Garr0t wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Elemental damage means elemental damage. ...

*harrumph* *pouts*
Where are the modifiers for chaos (poison) damage?

Lord Nurgle is not pleased... >:(

Very good question.

There are bows with +spell mods, these bows are useless because poison arrow and explosion arrow are not spells but attacks, so would only gain more dmg from +elemental dmg mods? But as far as I know chaos (form poison arrow) does not count as elemental?
Is there any way to increase chaos dmg on an attack skill (non-spell)?
Last edited by siis on Nov 14, 2011, 6:16:58 PM
* Updated OP for 0.9.3b

"
DrTenma wrote:
I am uncertain on how "big nodes" behave, on the image below if I put a point on the skill marked by the red box, does it enable the skill with green box to be selected?

The answer is no. The two nodes are not linked. To get to the skill in the green box, you'd have to go all the way around.

"
Garr0t wrote:
Great update, Malice.

I would suggest removing the following sentence from the skill linking section, as this is no longer applicable and may be taken out of context.
"
Malice wrote:
Additionally, two skill gems of the same type can be used in separate socket groups to allow for more linking opportunities.

Ah, but it is still applicable, it just works differently now (you get multiple different version of the skill rather than one super-skill).
Perhaps that part should be re-worded.
"
siis wrote:
There are bows with +spell mods, these bows are useless because poison arrow and explosion arrow are not spells but attacks, so would only gain more dmg from +elemental dmg mods?
Explosive arrow (and infernal blow) are special cases.
While both these skills are attacks, the explosions are not dealing attack damage (the explosion isn't based on your weapon), but spell damage.
So in those two cases an attack is dealing damage that counts as spell damage (and gains the increases to it).
Even if that were not the case, that would not make those mods on bows useless, rather they'd be useful only to niche builds which do damage with spells as well as bow attacks.
"
Magic, rare, and unique monsters only drop equipment, and have a large Increased item rarity modifier for those drops.

Just to clarify... does that stack multiplicatively or additively with your character's increased item rarity modifier? (I assume multiplicatively)

Also..

"
Damage reduction from armour and endurance charges only affects physical damage.
Endurance charges are related to the strength attribute and grant +6% damage reduction, and +6% to all resistances per charge.

which is right?
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
Last edited by taekvideo on Nov 14, 2011, 7:19:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info