Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

"
Toshis8 wrote:
[Removed by Support]

You should consider that he might be totally unaware of the phobia being curable. For him, it's likely hell.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 9:50:18 AM
Its one of those things that probably can't be related to by those who don't suffer from it. For those affected, its probably close to intolerable. I have a friend, and though we joke about it a lot, he suffers terribly from it. Before the Skyrim mod came out, he would send me his save files so I could kill the spiders for him!

I don't know what percentage of people are affected, but I am sure that there are new players that come to PoE, see spiders, and stop playing. If that percentage of players is greater than even 1%, doing something like a model replacement could be worthwhile financially.
Not being flippant here at all, but for those with arachnophobia, do the leaping Fetid Maws (they resemble cave crickets to me) in game create the same effect as the spiders? If not, they could be a replacement for the spiders.
Could work with Fetid maws.

I was hoping bears (as done in skyrim) - but then I thought of all the roles spiders fulfill. We would get:

- Flicker striking bears
- Bears descending from the ceiling
- Bears that die, and spawn more little bears

GGG would probably want to implement something that fitted in with the rest of the game.
This is ridiculous, its a game, there have to be certain things the devs want in there. Do you go to a museum and ask every resembling a spider be removed too? Besides, as far as i know spiders in a game are not real nor do they invoke the same fear as real spiders do.
Not the phobia itself is the biggest problem, but how this guy acts about it. Here is his original post again:

"Yep I'm the only one that suffer from arachnophobia in video game, so they always make no spider mods exclusively for me ^^

Like in skyrim I was so happy that i downloaded the mod more than 30.000 times and made it one of the most popular :)

Same with dragon age, legend of grimrock, dark messiah of might and magic, divinity original sin ... Modders seems to really like me :)

Now on a more serious note, I know it's a lot to ask and they probably have others things to do, I just thought it was best to try than not ^^"

He is using the phobia as a "card" to manipulate many other people and frankly, it seems that he is enjoying it.

Probably GGG should prioritize colorblindness instead of wasting time on some crazy phobia. People who are colorblind can do nothing about themselves no matter how hard they try, only other people can help them. But phobia, on the other hand, can be treated by the person himself if he really wants that. The problem is in his mind.

Phobia IS a problem, but even bigger problem is when someone is using that phobia to manipulate other people and get advantage over other people. Does this guy even want to get rid of his phobia or likes being "special"?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 20, 2014, 11:45:40 AM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
He is using the phobia as a "card" to manipulate many other people and frankly, it seems that he is enjoying it.

He's not using a "card", he's mocking those who say it isn't an issue because video game spiders aren't real spiders.

If this were true, and he really is the only person suffering from video game arachnophobia, then all of those mods really were created only for him, and he downloaded each one of those mods thousands of times. This is obviously not the case, which then means that people with arachnophobia really are affected by spiders in video games.

The fact that there are so many games with mods that do just what the OP is requesting should point out that there are a lot of gamers, especially RPG gamers, with arachnophobia. Which in turn means that GGG may gain more customers by taking a little bit of time to add a model swap via the Options. This is GGG's decision to make, not yours or mine.

I do think that changes for colorblindness should have a fairly high priority as well, but I also think that the costs for this would be much higher, since they are having to tweak, or add an overlay, to so many art assets.
As a marginally sever arachnophobe I have no problem with digital spiders. They just aren't real enough.

Seriously.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Sorry I can't understand the virtual/real difference between spiders, i'm afraid of the image not being attacked.

And i'm not doing this because I want the world to change for me and spiders to be removed from everything, it's just that it's been a common mod in a lot of games for some time now and it allows a lot of arachnophobic gamers to enjoy their games without having therapy or force themselves to play in such an indescriptible state of "fear" ( phobia is much much worse than fear )

So I'm just asking them if they can do something for us to play their game, if you don't mind spiders why would you reply to this thread ? Go play the game and enjoy the freedom to play and see anything you want, my request has absolutely no influence on anyone ^^

[edit]
"

Yeah...no ^^ . I was just being sarcastic, after so many forums I always read the same things and it's a bit annoying in the long term :/. As for colorblind people, it affects a lot many more people and should be an option in every game, and I agree they should do something about it first. POE is not the only game I want to play... But I'd really like to ^^ !

Last edited by mouimoui on Aug 20, 2014, 2:23:37 PM
For those wanting a mod to change the spiders into bears...

i have Arcotophobia and Arachnophobia so please take something else.

This world is an illusion, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info