Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

"
CycloneJack wrote:
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
Not trolling at all, it isn't off the mark at all, your entire premise is based on how debilitating your problem is to you, but its still YOUR problem. You're still asking a game developer to modify their game for your own personal interest due to your personal problems, my example is the exact same thing.

Try to actually counter my point, not just troll.

Actually, it is not my problem, as I can play the game just fine. And no, your analogy of a friend dying was way off. It is obvious you have no concept of what a phobia is, and I'll not take the time to go any further on that subject with you.

As for the OP's request, all GGG needs to do is to spend a few minutes looking into this (or other similar issues as they are brought up) to see how easy/difficult it would be to do, and then determine if the benefits would outweigh the costs. If they do, and they determine that it can be done in a few man hours, then they would gain some points with a portion of their community. It is a QoL issue, nothing more.

That said, if this, or other similar requests, would take a considerable amount of work, due to how the game was initially designed and programmed, then I would agree that they should not take the time to do so. These would need to be considered on a case by case basis.

It is no different from them looking into modifying the current UI. You and I may think that the current UI is fine, but there are some that dislike it. Apparently GGG felt that the benefits of making a new UI outweighed the costs.

A company that takes a little time to makes things better for a portion of their community always wins.

Lol, you think just because its a phobia means it has priority over any other traumatic problem? you're ridiculous dude. Nice dodge though.

and this wouldn't make the game better in my eyes, or many other gamers, it would make it worse.
Last edited by TiltedAxis on Aug 19, 2014, 8:25:03 PM
Confrontation therapy is one of the few that work with many phobias. Basically, you gradually expose yourself to what triggers anxiety and panic attacks, and always stay in the situation until the panic or discomfort subside. They will, and you won't die. Very hard, but also quite effective. In a way, you could treat the virtual spiders in PoE as a first step to desensitize yourself.

It's not like someone with fear of heights hanging themselves out of the top floor window of a tall building, but like someone watching an animated movie of someone else doing it.

If you do nothing about it, the phobia will only get more intense and eventually include other objects, creatures or situations. I don't think GGG should spend resources on an option like this, because it's like providing an alcoholic with booze (alcoholism also being an illness). It's not helpful, even if you may believe differently. It's also very different from something like support for people who are color blind. That's physical.

I sense that this will be an unpopular post, but it's not meant to be upsetting. It's based on more first hand experience than I care to share.
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
Lol, you think just because its a phobia means it has priority over any other traumatic problem? you're ridiculous dude. Nice dodge though.

Where did I say that?

I said that GGG should take the time to look into small issues like this, making the game more accessible to those who are colorblind, and many other small QoL requests and see if the benefits outweigh the costs. I've also stated in this thread that these changes should not affect game play. I said this pages ago. Swapping the model from creature A with creature B does not affect gameplay. Making a new UI does not affect gameplay. Disabling the lightning effect on the 1st map does not affect gameplay.

If your friend died and caused you to have thanatophobia (I think that is the correct phobia), and you requested that GGG remove dying from the game, I would say that removing dying from the game would affect gameplay, and the costs would most likely outweigh the benefits. I would also be saddened by your loss, as it is never easy losing a friend, and would be empathetic towards your new phobia.
"
Mivo wrote:
If you do nothing about it, the phobia will only get more intense and eventually include other objects, creatures or situations. I don't think GGG should spend resources on an option like this, because it's like providing an alcoholic with booze (alcoholism also being an illness). It's not helpful, even if you may believe differently.

The bolded is a viewpoint I had not considered. I think this is a very good post and, from a certain perspective, it does make some sense.
"
CycloneJack wrote:
"
TiltedAxis wrote:

Where did I say that?

I said that GGG should take the time to look into small issues like this, making the game more accessible to those who are colorblind, and many other small QoL requests and see if the benefits outweigh the costs. I've also stated in this thread that these changes should not affect game play. I said this pages ago. Swapping the model from creature A with creature B does not affect gameplay. Making a new UI does not affect gameplay. Disabling the lightning effect on the 1st map does not affect gameplay.

If your friend died and caused you to have thanatophobia (I think that is the correct phobia), and you requested that GGG remove dying from the game, I would say that removing dying from the game would affect gameplay, and the costs would most likely outweigh the benefits. I would also be saddened by your loss, as it is never easy losing a friend, and would be empathetic towards your new phobia.

I am empathetic towards your phobia, I'm not empathetic towards changing art for personal comfort.
To all people who are afraid of spiders, I will gladly accept your "spider lair" and "arachnid nest" map donations.

To GGG, could you create a spider pet? That would give an advantage in PvP
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
I have womenphobia. Can you do a no Scion option?
"
Deadpeng wrote:

I have a marauderphobia, could you please change your avatar? :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:

I have a marauderphobia, could you please change your avatar? :)

And I have a templarphobia.
Another quality ZAP! post.
"
Toshis8 wrote:
[Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support]
Why don't you go and tell meth addicts to "man up and stop takin drugs, lol".
You think antagonizing him because of his condition will help anyone? Well, maybe you felt better about yourself.

If GGG ever makes such an option - only the better. If they don't - well, too bad.
More people will get to play the game, press will write about Good Guy GGG (GGGGG, for short o_o) and game will get more attention.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:34:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info