Diablo 3 is dead - Blizzard confirmed

I don't really get the disappointment so many people seem to have experienced with Blizzard. You never loved Blizzard for making D1/2, in fact, you just loved them for buying the studio developing D1/2.
One manager decided during the 90s that buying a company developing a product for gaming nerds was a good idea.
It might have been at that time, nerds were the only audience for games back then.

I'd bet Blizzard made 10 times the money with D3 than what they got from D2 over 15 years already.
We're no longer the target audience, we have to find equal minded Indie Devs that share our understanding of a good game nowadays. (aka GGG :)

Did anyone look at how Sacred 3 turned out? Or Dungeon Siege 3? It may be sad to see these names getting butchered for the masses, especially if you grew up with them, but try not to get bitter and shit into forums. :)
Perception is reality.
"
widardd wrote:
I don't really get the disappointment so many people seem to have experienced with Blizzard. You never loved Blizzard for making D1/2, in fact, you just loved them for buying the studio developing D1/2.
One manager decided during the 90s that buying a company developing a product for gaming nerds was a good idea.
It might have been at that time, nerds were the only audience for games back then.

I'd bet Blizzard made 10 times the money with D3 than what they got from D2 over 15 years already.
We're no longer the target audience, we have to find equal minded Indie Devs that share our understanding of a good game nowadays. (aka GGG :)

Did anyone look at how Sacred 3 turned out? Or Dungeon Siege 3? It may be sad to see these names getting butchered for the masses, especially if you grew up with them, but try not to get bitter and shit into forums. :)

blizzard used to take risks and thrive on new ideas. not just the studio that developed diablo but overall.
now theyre like most hollywood companies that are releasing sequels/prequels/remakes

too scared to take a risk and caking off established trademarks. I believe that TF2-looking online fps is their first original title in like 5 years or something like that.

blizz now places emphasis on quality, 'polish'-ness, the 'experience' as opposed to new ideas

IRONICALLY, all they had to do with D3 was copy it as they did with SC. sprinkle a few new ideas here and there like PoE, and it wouldve been a good/great ARPG. and they managed to fuck it up big time. because for once they decided to deviate, it was because D2 wasnt streamline enough for huge part of the audience.

"
widardd wrote:

This is sadly true (for some genres). I'm still a fan of the GTA series. Or at least, I think I am. I'll find out in a couple months. Lol.

I used to be a big fan of battlefield as well. However, lately I've become bored with it. Maybe I've become addicted to the skinner box, maybe the thought of dying 10x a round no longer appeals to me. Don't know.

What I do know is that the vast majority of games I've enjoyed over the past several years were from indie studios.

E: I am still a sucker for eye candy though. Loved crysis 3.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Nov 22, 2014, 3:28:11 AM
Blizzard has damaged almost each genre it has touched recently. Explanation:

ARPG genre - Diablo 3 - dumbed down, AH cash grab. Big mistake, AH removed, D3 becomes far removed from the original concepts of D2, which is now being maintained by PoE. If it wasn't for POE and other games like Torchlight etc, D3 would have ruined the ARPG genre

MMPORG - WoW was a huge success but for all of the wrong reasons. Before WoW, the MMO genre was a case of fine dining restaurants - UO, EQ, DAOC etc was a reasonable difficulty, had people grouping and working together etc. This was also the case in EQ2 but when WoW came out, the whole genre was dumbed down. WoW is known as the 'KFC' of MMPORGS - widely popular and simply a bucket of cheap chicken. After WoW the MMO genre never recovered - everyone demanded easy solo gameplay in a genre that was supposed to be 'multipalayer' focussed. Hence the genre is now dying. Blizzard made the money and killed MMOs. Congrats.

The 'only' exception is SC2 - it is the best RTS but sadly has no competition either. SC2 was not dumbed down from the original which is good and is now the only place to go for the genre. Starcraft is the only good thing left for Blizzard.

However it is now moving into the MOBA genre with Heroes of the Storm. It looks less of a dumbing down than a different take but we will see. But generally these days Blizzard is the king of casual, it is 'not' the studio it was before in the old days (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 etc). And casual is not always good when it means the zombie masses then demand the same for all games in the genre.

So yes PoE is amazing because it maintains what was best for the ARPG genre. D3 - perhaps a fun game but it caters for the low attention, 'I want everything now' gamer generation that exists now and something I want nothing of. I grew up on BBC Micro and the original NES - Im old school through and through and proud. If I don't work for my rewards, I don't want it, and I wouldnt want it any other way.
"
VSwift wrote:
Blizzard has damaged almost each genre it has touched recently. Explanation:

ARPG genre - Diablo 3 - dumbed down, AH cash grab. Big mistake, AH removed, D3 becomes far removed from the original concepts of D2, which is now being maintained by PoE. If it wasn't for POE and other games like Torchlight etc, D3 would have ruined the ARPG genre

MMPORG - WoW was a huge success but for all of the wrong reasons. Before WoW, the MMO genre was a case of fine dining restaurants - UO, EQ, DAOC etc was a reasonable difficulty, had people grouping and working together etc. This was also the case in EQ2 but when WoW came out, the whole genre was dumbed down. WoW is known as the 'KFC' of MMPORGS - widely popular and simply a bucket of cheap chicken. After WoW the MMO genre never recovered - everyone demanded easy solo gameplay in a genre that was supposed to be 'multipalayer' focussed. Hence the genre is now dying. Blizzard made the money and killed MMOs. Congrats.

The 'only' exception is SC2 - it is the best RTS but sadly has no competition either. SC2 was not dumbed down from the original which is good and is now the only place to go for the genre. Starcraft is the only good thing left for Blizzard.

However it is now moving into the MOBA genre with Heroes of the Storm. It looks less of a dumbing down than a different take but we will see. But generally these days Blizzard is the king of casual, it is 'not' the studio it was before in the old days (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 etc). And casual is not always good when it means the zombie masses then demand the same for all games in the genre.

So yes PoE is amazing because it maintains what was best for the ARPG genre. D3 - perhaps a fun game but it caters for the low attention, 'I want everything now' gamer generation that exists now and something I want nothing of. I grew up on BBC Micro and the original NES - Im old school through and through and proud. If I don't work for my rewards, I don't want it, and I wouldnt want it any other way.

What are you talking about SC2 not being dumbed down? Automine, unlimited select, worker counters, phoenix "micro", shit highground mechanic, no overkill on ranged units... it goes on and on. SC2 is just as dumbed down as D3 is.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Who gives a shit about D3 anyways ? This is PoE forums, derp.
I like desserts with coconut. My wife does not.

She is so stupid and dumb and wrong and stupid and she is an idiot.
D3 isn't dead, but it is simply because the dumb folks there would gladly accept all sorts of nerfs on their classes and rejoice that the greater rift trials still exists, or do they just love getting shit thrown at their faces all day long?

And the Witch Doctor players are dumb too, by calling their minions 'pets'.
"
drumberg wrote:
I like desserts with coconut. My wife does not.

She is so stupid and dumb and wrong and stupid and she is an idiot.

There is actually a difference between a matter of opinion and a critical analysis of a thing.
Noblesse oblige
lol rip poe

it was fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info