unreal prices for all end game gear

Spoiler
"
Route1 wrote:
Thats the thing, there SHOULDN'T BE an "optimal way" of farming. Farming should just be that: farming. Meaning you grind maps, bosses, and areas over and over. There shouldn't be a barrier to making currency at a reasonable pace without jumping through hoops like equipping an entirely alternative sent of farming gear which, by the way, costs currency to make it even worth while.

If I play for about 4-6 hours a day, I should by all means be making a reasonable amount of exalts. That is realistically a lot of time to invest in a game almost every day. Not to mention the REAL money invested in this game. Also, what if I am simply not interested in trading? What if i simply don't like it at all? Should I be forced to trade and do something I don't enjoy in this game in order to afford really good end-game gear at all? With prices the way they are, I can't afford a 6 link I want to add an additional support gem I've always wanted to use. I also need to replace my boots, gloves, one ring and helm. I want them to be GOOD too. With prices and drop-rates the way they are though, It's going to be forever until I can afford those and I even put in the time almost every day.

Drop rates suck. Everyone knows it.
"
Faendris wrote:

Not true. Drop rates are fine.

See, what you are saying is essentially: "No matter what I do in game, no matter how smart I play, I should get a fixed amount of loot per hour." To me this sounds utterly boring. It is kind of a communist way to design games. I love PoE exactly because it rewards the effort I put into the game and playing smart.

However, there is hope you. Blizzard essentially adopted your idea to a large degree with D3 RoS and to some degreee in WoW. Maybe you should have a look at their games? I find them utterly boring exactly because they follow this design principle of "no matter what you do, you get about the same amount of loot per hour as everyone else". To me playing these games feels like being a bot - no intelligence required, just mind numbing farming.

I'll agree item drop rates are OK, but currency drops are completely off.

Please elaborate on "playing smart" and how it changes the way this game dispenses rewards. Anyone who has ever had the OP's complaint is dying to know.

That last sentence. How does the irony escape you?
Well here's the thing, it's similar in IRL as well ->

If person A scrub the floors for 100 hours and then if person B is an award winning architect and works for 100 hours - do they earn the same amount of money?

Say what you like about GGG's design, I'm glad you can't slam your dick against the keyboard for 10 hours and achieve the same as someone who is trying to make currency for 10 ours.

Believe it or not, if you try - RNG has quite little to do with it. My friend wanted Shavs, okay - so he got 400 IIR and farmed Dom, the best drop he got was BoR or something like that but he kept at it for 2 weeks and converted up the way, sold 1 ex uniques and rares and bought it. There wasn't really any magical RNG involved.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
Taganov wrote:
Spoiler
"
Route1 wrote:
Thats the thing, there SHOULDN'T BE an "optimal way" of farming. Farming should just be that: farming. Meaning you grind maps, bosses, and areas over and over. There shouldn't be a barrier to making currency at a reasonable pace without jumping through hoops like equipping an entirely alternative sent of farming gear which, by the way, costs currency to make it even worth while.

If I play for about 4-6 hours a day, I should by all means be making a reasonable amount of exalts. That is realistically a lot of time to invest in a game almost every day. Not to mention the REAL money invested in this game. Also, what if I am simply not interested in trading? What if i simply don't like it at all? Should I be forced to trade and do something I don't enjoy in this game in order to afford really good end-game gear at all? With prices the way they are, I can't afford a 6 link I want to add an additional support gem I've always wanted to use. I also need to replace my boots, gloves, one ring and helm. I want them to be GOOD too. With prices and drop-rates the way they are though, It's going to be forever until I can afford those and I even put in the time almost every day.

Drop rates suck. Everyone knows it.
"
Faendris wrote:

Not true. Drop rates are fine.

See, what you are saying is essentially: "No matter what I do in game, no matter how smart I play, I should get a fixed amount of loot per hour." To me this sounds utterly boring. It is kind of a communist way to design games. I love PoE exactly because it rewards the effort I put into the game and playing smart.

However, there is hope you. Blizzard essentially adopted your idea to a large degree with D3 RoS and to some degreee in WoW. Maybe you should have a look at their games? I find them utterly boring exactly because they follow this design principle of "no matter what you do, you get about the same amount of loot per hour as everyone else". To me playing these games feels like being a bot - no intelligence required, just mind numbing farming.

Please elaborate on "playing smart" and how it changes the way this game dispenses rewards. Anyone who has ever had the OP's complaint is dying to know.

To me a game enables "playing smart" if it provides multiple paths (ideally an almost unlimited number) of ways to reach your goal and where those paths vary in terms of how good they are at reaching your goal. Playing smart then is the ability to identify and follow the path that fits your needs best.

For example: assume that your goal is to get those 200 ex you need to mirror loath bane. PoE provides you with a large amount of different ways to acchieve that goal: you can gind mobs in a lot of different ways, level and sell gems, flip items, participate in a short-term or 4-month league and leverage the effects when leagues merge, provide bosskill services, hold lotteries, play the corruption game, etc. etc. Playing smart then means that you choose the best path out of those available to you. "Best" is of cource relative to your way to play the game. If you only care about how fast you get the 200 ex, then you would simply try to figure out the path that nets the most ex/hour.

The last sentence of my post does not contain any irony. That is the strength of PoE: there are so many paths to reach my goal that I always can optimize something at least a little bit. I never reach the state that I behave like a bot and become bored farming before discovering a way to improve it at least a little bit. This is one very important thing that makes PoE vastly superior to D3 RoS for me.
"
Taganov wrote:

How to play smart and gain wealth in a new league:

1) make a non item requirements build
2) at beginning vendor all unid magic items to get transmutation orbs
3) always pick up these items: currency, stone hammers / rock breakers / gavels, chromatic items, rare items, 6 socket items, 5 links
4) always enter corrupted zones. Bosses gives nice loots and fragments can be useful and sellable
5) check vendors at each level up and buy chromatic items, 6 socket or if lucky 5 linked items
6) make sure to have an iir gem and a finisher skill. Even 50 iir will double rare items dropped
7) sell all your rare items for alteration
8) try rushing to piety to farm her, 100+ iir recomended
9) keep a set of ilvl60+ items for the chaos recipe
10) sell all gems unuseful for your build
11) level up highly requested gems and sell them at 20 quality with lvl20 gem + gcp recipe

Here. Just by selling all chromatics and alteration orbs at level 60 you're going to have 1 exalt of currency in your stash. Even more if you can have 100+ iir. Also merciless piety can be reached with self found gear with no problems at all, mystery solved!!!

protip: it works in hardcore leagues too
Last edited by Mahesys on Jul 16, 2014, 4:13:29 AM
"
3) always pick up these items: currency, stone hammers / rock breakers / gavels, chromatic items, rare items, 6 socket items, 5 links

May I ask why you pick these up? Is there a recipe I'm not aware of?
"
Pyrotek wrote:
"

May I ask why you pick these up? Is there a recipe I'm not aware of?

Chisel Recipe, google it if you still don't understand.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
Faendris wrote:
I love PoE exactly because it rewards the effort I put into the game and playing smart.

Yes, I very much agree that a game should both reward effort and playing smart. League of Legends does that as a moba: your effort is rewarded by having access to more options, playing smart is rewarded by better rank.

However, a problem is that, PoE doesn't reward playing the "Action RPG" part of the game smartly anywhere near how much it rewards playing the "economy" smartly.

Diablo 3 RoS also had an issue before that while it rewarded "effort", it didn't reward playing smartly enough. Now they are trying to address that by introducing "greater rifts" which are supposed to reward the "action rpg" part more than it currently does.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jul 16, 2014, 6:33:13 AM
"
Route1 wrote:
Thats the thing, there SHOULDN'T BE an "optimal way" of farming. Farming should just be that: farming. Meaning you grind maps, bosses, and areas over and over.

How do you even live IRL?
There are rules exist, there are "smart ways to do things" exist, "lifehacks", etc
Same for the game. You can't just mindlessly grind a1n and expect to get 200 EX.

(also, name me any game that allows you to "just farm" any location and get the same profit as end-game areas\bosses provide)

Simple example of smart (and not) grind in PoE:
1) Player A "just farming" Marketplace in Cruel for hours
2) Player B does chaos recipe by doing Piety Merc. runs
Guess who of them will end up her, on the forum, complaining that he can't afford 5L after 2 years of playing?

"
mazul wrote:
Yes, I very much agree that a game should both reward effort and playing smart.

(next lines is not directed to you, mazul, just generalization ^_^)

This is not kindergarten to be rewarded "for effort".
You are (i hope) 18+ years old, it's time to use your brains
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
Last edited by HarukaTeno on Jul 16, 2014, 7:16:46 AM
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

Simple example of smart (and not) grind in PoE:
1) Player A "just farming" Marketplace in Cruel for hours
2) Player B does chaos recipe by doing Piety Merc. runs
Guess who of them will end up her, on the forum, complaining that he can't afford 5L after 2 years of playing?

That's a good example of how rewarding "smart play" is done well.

A problem is that:
3) Player C does chaos recipe by doing Piety Merc. runs and simultaneously uses poe.xyz.is and trade chat to get market information and thus maximize his profit as well as flip undervalued items.

will by far surpass both 1. and 2. in terms of both wealth but also in utility. This is problematic if a game wants to focus on the "action rpg" aspect.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jul 16, 2014, 7:21:45 AM
i was like all of you before , until i started to work in real life , 13€/hr = 17$/hr , 90€ a day open my eyes and i realise , i let all these things .
i just wonder how i was sitting 6h/day on my computer to trade virtual items :)

my 2 cents opinion .
foolish mortal, only skilled players blessed by RNGesus himself can ever farm one, not you!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info