Fix Conversion Trap

"
Rhys wrote:
We don't want to remove it entirely (i.e. make it not work on players) but the ability to convert opponents almost constantly is too strong/too abusable. The fact that it is banned outright in at least some dedicated PvP circles is telling.

It is an interesting skill to use against summoners, though.

One possible solution we were debating is to have Conversion Trap only work once per player per round (for Arena matches, not CTF/FFA). So it would still have some utility but couldn't be spammed constantly. (It's also extremely easy to implement, which is a bonus - at least for us :P)

I suppose we could dramatically reduce the duration when used on players, but then I suspect people would just never use it (on players), so that first idea is probably more interesting.

What do you guys think about this? Or do you have any other ideas?

Why not just make it so it only works to convert traps and minions ? Anyways we always ban conversion traps in every 3v3 or matches that we do after all. So there's really no need for it when it comes to converting players, it's just very annoying to get converted and far too abusable. It should only work to convert enemy traps and minions to take them at your advantage but disabled on players.

The shortest reason on why disabling it on players is necessary is simply that we want fair matches, if we are doing 3v3s we wanna do 3v3s without having to worry about getting converted and immediatly messing up the whole match.

Trust me that's what needs to happen, i bet everyone else would agree on this idea.
IGN:Hauntworld - ICU Omniscient PvP guild
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PvP Low life crit caster / Gear -->/1829851
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HLD PvP tournaments -->/1576295
Last edited by hauntworld1 on Jul 1, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
"
Rhys wrote:
We don't want to remove it entirely (i.e. make it not work on players) but the ability to convert opponents almost constantly is too strong/too abusable. The fact that it is banned outright in at least some dedicated PvP circles is telling.

One possible solution we were debating is to have Conversion Trap only work once per player per round (for Arena matches, not CTF/FFA). So it would still have some utility but couldn't be spammed constantly. (It's also extremely easy to implement, which is a bonus - at least for us :P)

I suppose we could dramatically reduce the duration when used on players, but then I suspect people would just never use it (on players), so that first idea is probably more interesting.

reducing the time on converted players (not minions or totems) and making it so conversions could only occur to each opponent once per round might be a good start. I do agree the ability shouldnt be removed entirely or the ability to convert players but in its current state its very disruptive and UN-enjoyable. Also please work in something with how multi trap effects conversion. Multi trap is what makes conversion the worst imo. without multi trap on conversion u can only throw so many conversion traps so quickly because their replenishment rate is so slow. With multi trap u can throw way to many conversion traps way to quick with little drawback other than the mana multiplier and occupied gem slot. On teams and everyone using multi trap the field is just FLOODED. Its always cool pvping until someone busts out multi conversion trap and everyone else does the same since its so frustrating to face.

P.S. Rhys, thanks for taking the time and allowing yourself to be allocated into pvp feedback moderation. Many of us have been discussing for quite some time how to fix things like conversion. Most of us in this section arent upset about the speed at which pvp is fixed and balanced but just the lack of communication in the past. You relaying information for us is a HUGE step and many of us talk daily about how much it means to us!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Jul 2, 2014, 1:12:12 AM
"
hauntworld1 wrote:
Why not just make it so it only works to convert traps and minions ?

Can you convert traps? Didn't know that.

Yeah... might be a good idea to only be able to convert minions, totems, and traps. I think that's all the non-player situations.
IGN: _Firebitch
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
"
hauntworld1 wrote:
Why not just make it so it only works to convert traps and minions ?

Can you convert traps? Didn't know that.

Yeah... might be a good idea to only be able to convert minions, totems, and traps. I think that's all the non-player situations.
I think this is how it was expected by most players to work in arena
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Yup i also vote for: no-players. Only minion/traps/totems.

Reason: even with one use, it will be abused. At the start of the round every single player will throw one with multiple traps which is 9 traps in a 3v3 and if one guy steps on one he will instantly get 3v2'd or 3v1'd
IGN: @GreenDude
Last edited by GreenDude on Jul 2, 2014, 9:40:56 AM
"
GreenDude wrote:
Yup i also vote for: no-players. Only minion/traps.

Reason: even with one use, it will be abused. At the start of the round every single player will throw one with multiple traps which is 9 traps in a 3v3 and if one guy steps on one he will instantly get 3v2'd or 3v1'd

It's like a Benny Hill episode. It's funny as hell though, when someone unknowingly kills their own teammate. :)
IGN: _Firebitch
"
Rhys wrote:
"
Oats_PT wrote:
for team games you definitely need to nerf it. we had this 3v3 once where everyone started throwing conversion traps. it became a boring ass cluster fuck. its just too abusable.

Anyone got a link to a vid of this? Curious.

How about have the conversion duration be based off of the % combined total of life/ES remaining for the person targetted? I HATE unintuitive fixes. Please, minions only, or my idea. No once per round only. And even then, if conversion traps get nerfed, ranged need buffs in terms of ways to escape.

And yes, I realize melee still has problems 3v3. That's an entirely separate issue though.
Last edited by AleronDescends on Jul 2, 2014, 11:29:21 AM
I support it working only on minions/traps, seems reasonable.
ก็็็็็็็็็็IGN:Varanice(90 EA Marauder); Aura_Amoureux (8X LL Aurastack Cyclone Scion)
Softore Shop Thread #665265 -Uniques, Race Rewards, Gems, and more.
I also play LLD PvP in SC, and race as Witch or occasionally Scion.
www.twitch.tv/varanice
Last edited by Varanice on Jul 3, 2014, 4:38:01 PM
"
Rhys wrote:

I speak strictly from a LLD standpoint and I vote "Conversion Trap only work once per player per round". It's fair and "easy to implement"... (could see a change happen)

I definitely vote down conversion only working on minion/totem/traps. Too many great builds in lld that use it effectively and would only need 1-2 traps per opponent.

Balance, not nerf.

Last edited by VZ58 on Jul 4, 2014, 1:56:31 AM
"
Rhys wrote:

In the context of level 28 PvP:
What I think could be done is either a skill gem or unique item that allows players to see traps for a short period of time with a long cool down (more than say, cold snap.

Overall traps are very powerful, even besides conversion trap. Puncture traps are responsible in my opinion for putting phys bow rang
ers second in command after melee in the current "meta". However I still think it would be a poor choice to limit the number of trap uses per duel buecause traps are a great tool against the bigdaddy block pen melee users.

In team games it would be best to fully ban conversion trap

Last edited by Pillowapnts on Jul 15, 2014, 2:57:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info