Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

Silly change. No one would notice a 10 fold increase, much less a 20% increase.

It would be great if we could have a list of what uniques belong to which category though.
So if kaoms have 0.01% chance to drop now it will have 0.012%?
IGN: Puskurcina
so.. build an mf character while theory crafting your main build since both passive tree comes out day 1 of new leagues and if you want anything useful you need very good rarity.

What about a passive keystone (or cluster) that grants rarity but has a negative effect of decreasing rarity from gear?
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
"
pneuma wrote:

I don't think "chase uniques" is healthy for the game, especially when they are build-enabling.

This Exactly! why GGG you want force us to make builds around uniques? -RARES should be on top NOT uniques!
Beta Member Since 2010
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

Yea, given your analogy you still don't see where I am coming from, but it doesn't matter you are already on board with the change.

Quality > Quantity is what it boils down to.

The reason people hate Crest of Perandus dropping will be the reason people end up hating Eye of Chaylua, Perandus Signets.. It is just moving the curve.

Mate, I really do understand where you're coming from. The issue you have with the change is summed up in your last sentence. That scenario won't and can't happen. Lemme try to demonstrate why.

We don't know anything about the relative drop rates but for demonstration's sake assume a distribution of:
85% Common
10% Uncommon
4% Rare
1% Super-rare

This is fairly generous btw. Note that Uncommon can't be much higher than 15% or so because "roughly doubling" it would dilute the identity of the rarities. 20% or higher would mean that a doubled Uncommon would be the new Common.

In this scenario 85 of 100 Uniques you find will be Common. Now apply the proposed changes. The end result is:
70.8% Common
20% Uncommon
8% Rare
1.2% Super-rare

Do you see now why Eye of Chayula won't become the new Crest of Perandus (never fucking mind that they don't have the same utility and comparing the two directly is retarded, I'm giving you that one for the sake of argument)? Even under this very optimistic scenario the majority of all Uniques will still be Common. The result? Less net QQ, while not shifting the focus of that QQ (Common Uniques).
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
"
Kalidor wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

I don't think "chase uniques" is healthy for the game, especially when they are build-enabling.

This Exactly! why GGG you want force us to make builds around uniques? -RARES should be on top NOT uniques!

Definitely agree with this sentiment. The 'chase' should be the Zodish Mirror, or the mirror worthy rare. If you want to add more 'chase', implement set items.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
Loving the development manifesto. Keep up the good work :)
"
ephetat wrote:
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

Yea, given your analogy you still don't see where I am coming from, but it doesn't matter you are already on board with the change.

Quality > Quantity is what it boils down to.

The reason people hate Crest of Perandus dropping will be the reason people end up hating Eye of Chaylua, Perandus Signets.. It is just moving the curve.

Mate, I really do understand where you're coming from. The issue you have with the change is summed up in your last sentence. That scenario won't and can't happen. Lemme try to demonstrate why.

We don't know anything about the relative drop rates but for demonstration's sake assume a distribution of:
85% Common
10% Uncommon
4% Rare
1% Super-rare

This is fairly generous btw. Note that Uncommon can't be much higher than 15% or so because "roughly doubling" it would dilute the identity of the rarities. 20% or higher would mean that a doubled Uncommon would be the new Common.

In this scenario 85 of 100 Uniques you find will be Common. Now apply the proposed changes. The end result is:
70.8% Common
20% Uncommon
8% Rare
1.2% Super-rare

Do you see now why Eye of Chayula won't become the new Crest of Perandus (never fucking mind that they don't have the same utility and comparing the two directly is retarded, I'm giving you that one for the sake of argument)? Even under this very optimistic scenario the majority of all Uniques will still be Common. The result? Less net QQ, while not shifting the focus of that QQ (Common Uniques).

Right, you didn't understand because I am a fucking idiot when it comes to analogies. I am more upset that my views on "great/epic" drops are going to be shifted farther up the rarity ladder, basically looking at loot as currency its going to be cut in 1/2. Seeing a Tabula and going nice! 2ex, it will be cool! 1ex, just the attitude towards them dropping will be lower individually was all.

However, after talking about it with some guildies, this is a much needed buff to solo play, which far outweights my feelings on it. I will still be upset about it, but more bittersweet I suppose.
:)
Its about time! I might actually start playing again if you get this right.
IGN: PixelPopper, PixiePopper
Once you Pop you can't stop!
"
Skorched wrote:
Its about time! I might actually start playing again if you get this right.

Ditto. I've hardly been playing at all. It was mostly because of the super low drop rate of better uniques. Thanks for addressing the issue. Let's hope it's enough :)
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info