Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

I like this change for the same reason I'd like rares to roll 2nd, and 3rd (etc.) tiers easier. Yes, it would jsut shift the QQ line, but at least you can compete at endgame with 2nd and 3rd tiers. It's rough when you throw 30 alchs at claws and you can't get anything with more than 120 dps.

Make those good (but not great) tiers roll easier and I can actually craft a Merciless appropriate rare with a reasonable amount of currency. Instead, you're forced to play the trade game to have useful gear.

I feel like this change in uniques will reflect that sentiment, which makes solo + self found far more viable, and removes some dependence on trading. Which overall is great.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
How is Blood Dance too complicated? It's straightforward free Regen for noobs... Can't get simpler than that... >_<
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
I share Worldbreaker's concerns. There's a limit to how many Ondar's Gloves you want to find per Kaom's Heart; at a certain point, inundating the player with too much with crap numbs them to the experience of the orange-brown text, turning what should be a moment of joy into a moment of meh. I'd much rather the ratio of common uniques relative to super-rare uniques be kept to a minimum (say, you find 8 or so of a single common per one of a single super-rare).

For example, here's the scheme Magic the Gathering uses, applied to PoE...

UNIQUE DROP CATEGORY ROLL
1/112 super-rare
7/112 rare
24/112 uncommon
80/112 common

NUMBER OF UNIQUES IN EACH CATEGORY
10 super-rare
35 rare
60 uncommon
60 common
165 total (PoE has more than this, but same principle applies)

CHANCE OF GETTING ONE SPECIFIC UNIQUE (DROP CATEGORY / NUMBER IN CATEGORY)
1/1120 (0.09%) super-rare
1/560 (0.18%) rare (2:1 super-rare)
1/280 (0.36%) uncommon (4:1 super-rare)
1/84 (1.19%) common (40:3 super-rare)

Magic's common rarity seems overly designed to create filler; perhaps evening it out, so that it matches the 2:1 ratios each of the other rarities shares with the rarity above it, might be a good idea. 10:1 super-rare (aka 30:3) is probably best.

If implementing something like this would require reducing the overall drop rate of uniques, then I say: let's reduce the overall drop rate of uniques. Better to have a little of something meaningful than have a lot of something meaningless.

There was also that Jay Wilson picture... and it's a bad omen that GGG is responding to complaints by doubling of (some) unique drop rates, following in D3's footsteps. They lead to a place we don't want to go.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 16, 2014, 2:34:58 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
They lead to a place we don't want to go.

places like what, fun?

this change benefits literally everybody except those who could already afford to easily buy all uniques in those categories. it basically just makes builds in general more accessible in the 4-month leagues.

yes, if you find the uniques they sell for less, but they will mean you can purchase the ones you need for less as well.

how many of the "rare" items have you found this league? 1? 2? 3?

how about the "super-rares"? 1? most likely 0.

do you really think these changes are going to have a bad impact on the game?

Last edited by Veruski on May 16, 2014, 2:14:19 PM
I like this change quite a bit. I'm not the most active player and I don't really have anybody on my friends list to play with, so I mainly just play solo or with a public group. Still, I always manage to get a handful of characters to 80+ in each 4 month hard core league. I think I've only found one decent end game unique, and I've been playing since the start of OB.

I know that this game can be played without them, because I've been forced to play without them this entire time. Quite frankly, I'm completely bored of playing the same vanilla builds each time. I actually want to find an item that makes me want to roll a new character and think of a way to build around it. Isn't that supposed to be the lure of this game? I feel like I've been missing out on everything and I'm not willing to play 40 hours a week to get there.

Hopefully this will allow a player like me to actually experience what this game is supposed to be about.
"
Veruski wrote:
Yes. The 20% more super-rares part... probably not, I imagine that part's okay. The doubling of rares and uncommons? Sounds bad. Especially the uncommons part.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 16, 2014, 2:30:12 PM
"
Worldbreaker wrote:

Right, you didn't understand because I am a fucking idiot when it comes to analogies. I am more upset that my views on "great/epic" drops are going to be shifted farther up the rarity ladder, basically looking at loot as currency its going to be cut in 1/2. Seeing a Tabula and going nice! 2ex, it will be cool! 1ex, just the attitude towards them dropping will be lower individually was all.

However, after talking about it with some guildies, this is a much needed buff to solo play, which far outweights my feelings on it. I will still be upset about it, but more bittersweet I suppose.
:)

That's fair, I admittedly didn't concern myself too much with the perception issue (though I'm not sure if the shift in valuation will be as direct as you describe). I guess I just don't see that big of an issue there -- it sounds like something players can get used to.
Have you made a cool build using The Coming Calamity? Let me know!
Last edited by ephetat on May 16, 2014, 2:48:37 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

CHANCE OF GETTING ONE SPECIFIC UNIQUE (DROP CATEGORY / NUMBER IN CATEGORY)
1/1120 (0.09%) super-rare
1/560 (0.18%) rare (2:1 super-rare)
1/280 (0.36%) uncommon (4:1 super-rare)
1/84 (1.19%) common (40:3 super-rare)

interesting numbers, changing some stuff for the new leagues is ok, but also
need to consider that the items goes to standard servers after
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Veruski wrote:
Yes. The 20% more super-rares part... probably not, I imagine that part's okay. The doubling of rares and uncommons? Sounds bad. Especially the uncommons part.

Not sure why you say this. I agree, the 20% more super rares will ultimately be meaningless, I think, so not so bad. Doubling of rares sounds great, as I'd love to find something useful for a build rather than my 4th wondertrap or 5th kurai ward or 7th stone of lazwar. Same goes for uncommon. May not be as cool as finding a rare, but so long as it's displacing the stuff that every player generally finds in great quantity, it's only good for the overall experience in my mind.

The only problem I see with it is that it furthers the wealth gap required to get a super-rare, but honestly, they're rare enough now I have no 'chase' feel to them at this point. Widening the gap wouldn't even be noticeable to me. I know I'm not going to drop a Shav's, and I also know I'm not going to participate in archaic trade long enough to obtain one. It's moot.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
Something to consider is that a few common uniques will probably be getting knocked up a notch in regards to rarity - blood dance for sure, but probably a small handful of others. This means that the price of certain currently common uniques might go up, or the supply will finally be relatively equal to the small demand (both cases making selling them less of a hassle). Either way, finding a crest of perandus might turn into "hmm, fun and easy way to earn 3c", instead of "Fuck, another?".

Honestly, I don't get why there's as much negative feedback as I've seen. I've put in over a thousand hours, I've made a few ex worth of currency, and found a few sub-4 ex drops (mostly under 1) - pretty reasonable earnings so far. These changes just mean that something like Bino's might cost 6ex instead of 12-15, and that's assuming no build popularizes it, driving up the price. Hell, it might even be possible for me to find one after another 600 hours, which won't kill the game.

They seem to be specifically focused on the rarity of build enabling uniques (like Bino's), so calm your tits - not every filthy casual's going to be walking around with dual soul takers and a Kaom's.
Last edited by ComradBlack on May 16, 2014, 3:15:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info