[Official] WINE info thread

"
Sovyn wrote:
I installed Fontin a while back before I wrote my guide, when I was trying to figure out how to fix the font corruption issue. Well, I did notice that the game used the installed font (according to the path reported in the debug log), but it made no difference for me in terms of the in-game font problem, which was just that italic text looked a bit corrupted (regular text was fine).

Yeah, I downloaded the fonts the game uses (in .TTF format) and installed those and the font rendering didn't change; I also verified (with the 'md5sum' tool) that the font files shipped with PoE are the same as the TTF download from the official Fontin website (except for Fontin SmallCaps for some reason... but the others are the same). So if the version of Fontin you had installed was the TTF version, yeah, I expect you would have been more or less fine. If you look at the screenshots I posted, the font spacing with the OpenType version installed was far, far worse.

"
Basically the problem was the PoE installer messing things up, so the trick was to simply copy the fully installed PoE folder over into a fresh Wine prefix and run it from there.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get this to work. Whenever I copy my Content.ggpk and other files from one Wine prefix to another, Client.exe always decides to ignore it and re-download the whole 5.8GB.

In other news, I think I've gotten somewhere with my weird-slow-GPU investigations. As I mentioned, I've been using Debian Wheezy which comes with version 3.2 of the Linux kernel, which is the first version that included stable Ivy Bridge graphics support. Apparently there have been a lot of kernel fixes for Ivy Bridge since then, so it was suggested I upgrade to the latest version of the kernel, currently 3.8 (handily, Debian Experimental includes just such a beast). With some help from #intel-gfx on Freenode, this is now my best guess at what was happening:

Under the 3.2 kernel:
- at bootup, the GPU would be running at 'nominal' speed, which is apparently 650MHz.
- After a while of not using the GPU, it would drop down to 'idle' speed, which is apparently 350MHz.
- Nothing would convince it to speed up again.

Under the 3.8 kernel:
- at bootup, the GPU is running at 'idle' speed, which is apparently 350MHz.
- If you run a graphically intensive game like PoE, it starts out sluggish but after a while (say, five minutes) it 'warms up' and cranks up the GPU until it's running at top speed (1150MHz).
- After you shut down your graphically intensive game, the GPU slowly cranks back down to idle again.

With my shiny new kernel, I don't always hit 60fps as frequently as I used to, but I can turn up the graphics quality while mostly maintaining 30fps.
"
nissarin wrote:
"
I tried running Path of Exile in Wine today and came across a strange error. It loads and plays just fine, except that the default window size is a 5cm square. I tried going around in the display options and changing the display settings, but I can't quite get it back to normal, and it reverts back to the small window the next time I open it.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue when I installed the game - after setting the resolution manually be editing the production_Config.ini (in *desktop*/My Games/Path of Exile) it went away.. not sure what was that about but it work normally now (at least for me).

I just had this problem and fixed it by deleting the production_Config.ini file as you said. Thanks for the help!
"
Thristian wrote:
So if the version of Fontin you had installed was the TTF version, yeah, I expect you would have been more or less fine. If you look at the screenshots I posted, the font spacing with the OpenType version installed was far, far worse.

Yes, I installed TTF. No difference. I agree your OpenType screenshots look far worse than anything I've seen on my system.

"
Thristian wrote:

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get this to work. Whenever I copy my Content.ggpk and other files from one Wine prefix to another, Client.exe always decides to ignore it and re-download the whole 5.8GB.

Odd. Maybe an issue with relative paths. I would try running Client.exe directly from the new folder rather than using a shortcut or shell script of any kind. You could also try running Client.exe from a terminal after changing directory to the new PoE folder.

"
Thristian wrote:

With my shiny new kernel, I don't always hit 60fps as frequently as I used to, but I can turn up the graphics quality while mostly maintaining 30fps.

I don't know what resolution you are running, but 30 - 60 FPS is very good. I know Intel graphics tends to be more experimental with gaming, but if any Intel GPU will run it, it would be the latest on-CPU Intel graphics (e.g. HD4000). So congratulations.
"
Sovyn wrote:
I'm finding that PoE on Wine crashes quite reliably after around 2 hours in multiplayer. Single player seems fine but it may just be that I don't play that long when soloing. Or, a theory, perhaps the additional effects being cached (other players casting) in multiplayer exacerbates the issue.

So, it seems there may be a memory leak still in the latest versions of Wine (tested with 1.5.24, 1.5.25, 1.5.26).

Tested PlayOnLinux 4.1.x and 4.2.

Nothing in the debug log.

Tried installing usp10 again with winetricks which used to fix the memory leak crash issues with older Wine versions, but no help.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit
4 GB ram
ATI/AMD HD 4770 with Mesa 9 driver

Just reporting an issue I noticed.

Quoting myself, I thought I'd follow up and let everyone know that this issue was fixed for me after switching from Unity to LXDE. Just theorizing that the lower memory footprint of LXDE pushes any potential memory leak crash out far enough time wise that I'm not likely to ever see it.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Espionage724 wrote:
I should probably read through some pages on this thread at some point, but how is PoE currently with Wine on AMD-based GPU's?

In the past, FPS was generally low and new asset loading caused hitching on both AMD and Nvidia hardware, with a solution being to disable GLSL shaders. This worked for Nvidia users, but broke compatibility with PoE (disabling GLSL = non-Shader Model 3.0 compliant = crash after loading screen I think).

Still not great on ATI - I get about 20-40 FPS with an ATI HD 4770 at 1920x1080 medium textures, no shadows, no AA (lowest settings) with some hesitations (summon skeletons does it pretty bad for example). It's better with the latest beta Mesa 9 (open source driver) than with the legacy proprietary driver overall though - lower average FPS but fewer pauses - a good trade-off.

I went ahead and bought an Nvidia GT 545 GDDR5 for $35 USD (yeah, I know, what a deal). It's equivalent to the HD 4770 I had (supposedly). In any event, what a difference! My FPS went from 20-40 with bad pauses on spells to 60-125 FPS and zero pauses. I disabled GLSL right away and have not tested it with GLSL enabled. Why "fix" it if it's working so well, right?

So, consider Nvidia a requirement for a good experience.
The guide is now updated with my current specs and a recommendation to buy, beg, or borrow an Nvidia card!
"
Sovyn wrote:
The guide is now updated with my current specs and a recommendation to buy, beg, or borrow an Nvidia card!

That's pretty much what I've been saying. I've had similar issues in other games in the past, which is why I'm pretty dead set against AMD/ATI now. I'm not usually brand-loyal, but nvidia has always done a really good job in my opinion.. both in their hardware as well as their drivers and support. The nvidia drivers are pretty solid on linux which was not my experience with other video card manufacturers.
Hi!
When i start PoE i get error "d3derr_notavailable"
Some ideas?
"
Sadhu wrote:
Hi!
When i start PoE i get error "d3derr_notavailable"
Some ideas?

If you followed the guide properly to get it to work under PlayOnLinux, you should have a "debug" link to the right of the shortcuts. Click once on the Path of Exile shortcut you made, then click the Debug link. It should open up a debug window that will spit out a lot of stuff. The timestamp marks your execution.

Find the "Current" execution of when you clicked the Debug, wait until it crashes, then copy that into a Spoiler tag (using the Spoiler button at the top of the edit box here). Hopefully that will contain some information that can be used to help track down your problem.

Also, please post your system specs as well as your OS distribution, etc. If you're using any special video drivers, also post that.
"
Sovyn wrote:

You might want to mention that modern Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge graphics (HDxx00) needs the latest kernel for best performance, and older Intel graphics (GM9x5) are too slow for PoE to be playable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info