[Official] WINE info thread

Recently switched to Ubuntu and was hit right in giblets after seeing the horrid frame rate/graphics i was getting with my ATI cards. I've got no plans to switch out my cards since i was getting solid performance on them with Win7.

Should I be using the Wine version that is listed on WineHQ or just the newest version available?

Thanks
Using the newest version of Wine available is almost always the right plan, especially if you're following Sovyn's "Installing PoE in PlayOnLinux" guide.
I'm currently using 1.5.26 and feel no need to update as things are running 100% perfectly. Sorry to say, after much experimentation, I did have to change out my ATI card for an equivalent Nvidia card to obtain acceptable performance. The difference really is night and day. A used GT 545 with GDDR5 memory (important) or GTS 450, won't set you back more than $50 and it will scream with PoE at 60-120 FPS depending on the zone and what's going on - with no hitches.
via PlayOnLinux i loaded up the 1.5.28-PathOfExile Wine version and that by itself is night and day compared to the newest wine

It is at least playable now!

-cheers
"
EddieGere wrote:
via PlayOnLinux i loaded up the 1.5.28-PathOfExile Wine version and that by itself is night and day compared to the newest wine

-cheers

Great! Maybe I bought an Nvidia card too soon. :)

Perhaps someone uploaded a patched version of Wine that improves the situation with ATI - if so, that would be great news for ATI owners.

Have you tried summon skeletons or something like that? Or played in a party with a summoner? Or really any party - ATI was pretty bad before with all of the short freeze ups (1 second or so, plenty of time to get killed).
"
EddieGere wrote:

-cheers

Very odd.. as far as I know, the only difference between 1.5.28 and 1.5.28-PathOfExile is the async NtFlushVirtualMemory fix. There's nothing else I'm aware of that makes 1.5.28 different from 1.5.28-PathOfExile, so you should get similar results with 1.5.28.

If that isn't the case, I'd be interested to find out why.
I may have spoken too soon, the game is running better but when i switched from full screen to windowed a few times trying different settings the choppy terribad frame rate came back. Then after closing and re-opening the game went back to decent.

Its still nothing to brag about compared to how smooth everything was running on win7, does crossfire work at all with PoE? If it does i should be able to get by with running both my cards, i have 2 of them i might as well use em!
"
EddieGere wrote:
does crossfire work at all with PoE? If it does i should be able to get by with running both my cards, i have 2 of them i might as well use em!

I believe that crossfire would be a function of the proprietary ati/amd catalyst driver independent of the games or other software you use. If you get it working in the driver it should work for PoE. I don't see why not, but it does add a layer of potential issues to the mix.

They may have added a checkbox in CCC to enable CF now, but, if not, something like this....

sudo aticonfig --adapter=0,1 --initial
sudo aticonfig --cfa --adapter=0,1
sudo aticonfig --cf on --adapter=0,1

then restart.

Let us know how it goes!
"
jmackay wrote:
"
troublekid wrote:
this may sound really stupid... but what is WINE?

Wine is a program used to open Windows based apps on a Mac.

Linux.
"
Jiminimonka wrote:
"
jmackay wrote:
"
troublekid wrote:
this may sound really stupid... but what is WINE?

Wine is a program used to open Windows based apps on a Mac.

Linux.

Unix-like operating systems, including Linux, OS X, BSD and Solaris.
same name in-game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info