[Official] WINE info thread

"
discomfitor wrote:
any halfway competent compositor will have a mode to disable compositing when a fullscreen window is on top. look for such an option, and complain loudly to the developers if it doesn't exist.

I assume this would be the setting "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" in CompizConfig "Composite" tab (for those systems that use Compiz). The tooltip for same says "Allow drawing of fullscreen windows to not be redirected to offscreen pixmaps." Looks like this setting is enabled on my system.
"
Thristian wrote:
"
discomfitor wrote:
any halfway competent compositor will have a mode to disable compositing when a fullscreen window is on top.

According to Phoronix, GNOME 3 learned how to disable compositing for full-screen windows in GNOME 3.2; I'm currently running GNOME 3.4, so I should be good.

I've looked into this a bit more, and I'm quite confused. Here's what I've found:

- PoE can either be "slow" (15fps in Lioneye's Watch) or "fast" (30fps in Lioneye's Watch).
- If I reboot, log in (to GNOME 3 or GNOME Classic), PoE runs "fast" (wel, GNOME Classic is still a *little* faster, but fresh from a reboot GNOME 3 is closer to "fast" than "slow").
- If I run PoE or some other game, then quit and start PoE, it's still "fast".
- If I launch my browser and surf the Internet a bit, PoE is still "fast".
- If I launch my video-player and watch some videos, PoE is still "fast".
- If I leave my machine turned on, but I wander away for a bit so that the monitor powers down, PoE is still fast.
- If I play some PoE, quit, do some browsing, watch some videos, then leave the computer alone until the next day, PoE becomes "slow".

I originally blamed it on compositing/non-compositing, because I've seen that behaviour before with other games. However, when PoE is "slow", it's exactly the same speed in both composited and non-composited modes, and when PoE is "fast", composited mode is almost as fast. Something that happens on a regular basis is putting my machine into "slow" mode, and I have no idea what it could be.

At any rate, I'm still pleased to discover my GPU isn't nearly as crappy as I thought it was.

The more or the less, it happens to me. I think it is related to hard disk cache, or something. Whenever POE is running, I can hear the HDD and the whole system slows down (choppy youtube videos, long time response to change tabs in Firefox, to load Desktop Menu, starting other programs...). If I close POE, I stop hearing the HDD and everything goes fast again.

Could it be related to journaling or trimming?
Last edited by Konosoke on Apr 9, 2013, 8:39:13 AM
A noob question, if you guys don't mind.

How much hard drive space does PoE need? I ask because I'm *really* limited on hard drive space right now. (I'm running on an old 16GB drive for the time being until I can get another bigger hard drive.)
Last edited by MimSiE on Apr 10, 2013, 9:54:46 AM
I'm not seeing how this has anything to do with WINE, but around 6GB currently
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
julus wrote:
@Sovyn: as you get it to work, can you write step by step guide how to do it on Linux?

Gladly, but I thought I already did, above.

I'll give it another go with some additional detail.

Guide to install PoE on latest Wine version under PlayOnLinux to fix memory leaks, crashes, and font corruption

First, my system is:

Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64-bit
4 GB RAM
ATI HD 4770 video
Catalyst 13.1 proprietary driver

If your system is different, this guide may or may not solve the font corruption issue but it should get you up and running without memory leak issues or crashes.

Step 0) If you don't yet have PlayOnLinux, go get it. It's free and makes it easy to manage different versions of Wine. After installation of PlayOnLinux, you can resume this step-by-step guide.

Step 1) in PlayOnLinux: in the menu, click Tools / Wine Versions. If you have used PlayOnLinux before, remove whatever old version of Wine you were using for PoE by highlighting it and clicking the left arrow to uninstall it.

Step 2) Still in the Wine Versions window, select the latest version of Wine for installation (1.5.26 as of this writing). You want the x86 version regardless of your operating system. Follow the simple prompts to install Wine. After that finishes, close the Wine Versions window.

Step 3) Back in the main PlayOnLinix window, click the Configure button. Click the New button. In the virtual drive creator wizard, select 32 bits windows installation, the latest Wine version that you installed in step 2, name the drive (PoE, for example).

Step 4) After completing the virtual drive creator wizard, click the name of your old virtual drive where you had Path of Exile installed (if any). Go to the Miscellaneous tab. Click "Open virtual drive's directory." Then, click the name of the new virtual drive you created (PoE). Go to the Miscellaneous tab. Click "Open virtual drive's directory." You now have two file manager windows. Drag them so they are side-by-side. Open the folder drive_c, then Program Files. Right click the Grinding Gear Games folder and left click "Cut". In the other window, navigate to drive_c, then Program Files. Right click in the empty white space in the window, and left click "Paste." You have now moved your game over to the new virtual drive. Close both file manager windows. Basically, in this step we are getting a fully working Path of Exile install from somewhere and pasting it into the new virtual drive's programs directory. It does not matter where you get it from - a Windows partition, etc.

Step 5) In the PlayOnLinux configuration window again, which should still be open, click the name of the old virtual drive. Assuming you had only Path of Exile installed, it is OK to remove it, so click the remove button.

Step 6) Still in the PlayOnLinux configuration window, click the name of your new Path of Exile virtual drive (PoE in this example). Click "Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive" Follow the wizard to make a shortcut for Client.exe. It should show as one of the options. You will need to name the shortcut, I named it Path of Exile. The wizard will ask you if you want to make another shortcut, select "I don't want to make another shortcut".

Step 7) Make sure you have the latest version of Winetricks installed. I just edited my copy which was located at /usr/bin and cleared the file, pasted in the latest Winetricks code (20120912 as of this writing) from the link above, then saved the file. In a system terminal type: sudo gedit /usr/bin/winetricks

Back in the PlayOnLinux configuration window again, click the name of your new Path of Exile virtual drive (PoE in this example). Go to the Miscellaneous tab. Click "Open a shell." From the shell prompt, type: winetricks d3dx9_36 vcrun2010

You will see a couple of downloads and installations reported in the window. Don't be alarmed if there are what appears to be a few error messages sprinkled in. When it's done, close the window.

Step 8) Fixing the crashes: Still in the PlayOnLinux configuration window, once again click on the name of the virtual drive that we made (PoE).

- Click the "Wine" tab.

- Next, click "configure wine".

- When the Wine configuration opens as a new window, click the "Libraries" tab.

- Under "New override for library" select "openal32" and click "add".

- "openal32 (native, builtin)" will now appear in the "Existing overrides" box below the *d3dx9 and *msvcr100 entries that should be already in there from step 7.

- Click apply and OK.

That's it!

For Nvidia Graphics Card Owners only - FPS drops fix:

In the PlayOnLinux configuration window, once again click on the name of the virtual drive that we made (PoE).

- Click the "Display" tab.

- Next, select "disabled" in the drop-down box next to "GLSL Support".

- Close the PlayOnLinux configuration window.

- Enjoy graphics free of FPS drops.

For ATI/AMD Graphics Card Owners only - Possible improvement for the extreme FPS drop issues on AMD/ATI graphics cards, at least on my system (Ubuntu Linux 12.04.1 LTS AMD64, ATI HD 4770, 4 GB ram, Samsung SSD).

First, I removed the AMD proprietary drivers (FGLRX), if present. In a system terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

I then rebooted just in case.

In a system terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update

Then I went to the Update Manager as I wanted to see exactly what packages were being updated.

I installed everything suggested.

Then I rebooted again.

In a system terminal:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"

....Now reads Mesa 9.0 instead of 8.x.

Basically this mini guide reverts from the proprietary driver back to the free open source (FOSS) driver, and then updates the FOSS driver to a newer version than available from the default sources.

The average FPS is not super, but I think overall the game is more playable than with the 'faster' proprietary driver with its more extreme hesitations in PoE.

Optional Fix for Launcher Window Appearance

In the PlayOnLinux configuration window, click the name of your Path of Exile virtual drive (PoE in this example). Go to the Miscellaneous tab. Click "Open a shell." From the shell prompt, type: winetricks riched20

Possible fix for the LONG Allocating Space issue. Credit to FeepingCreature and Drakier

I'm running a Debian based 64-bit system so I had to "apt-get install eatmydata:i386" from a terminal (since wine is 32-bit, you need the 32-bit version of the lib). Normal users on 32-bit installations should be able to "apt-get install eatmydata" (or whatever the relevant command is for your distro - for example it would be "emerge libeatmydata" on Gentoo).

Once that was done, I had to track down where it put the lib, which I found on my system at the following location: /usr/lib/libeatmydata/libeatmydata.so

I then went into PlayOnLinux and clicked Configure on the Path of Exile shortcut, then under the Miscellaneous tab the bottom box is a command to exec before running the program, and I put in there
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libeatmydata/libeatmydata.so

I closed the dialog. Then to test it, I renamed my old Content.ggpk to a backup and launched the Path of Exile shortcut. Allocating Space took only a few minutes rather than the HOURS it was before.

well... i did this step by step and everything went as it was supposed to be except that i still cant launch the game.
i keep getting a bunch of errors as before:

"the D3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects were not released"
"Failed resetting Direc3D device objects"
"DXUT Createdevice failed"
"Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed"

not sure if i missed some step or still need to do additional settings.

im using:

Linux 12.04 (32bit)
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
wine 1.5.27
WINETRICKS_VERSION=20120912

thanks in advance :)

I should probably read through some pages on this thread at some point, but how is PoE currently with Wine on AMD-based GPU's?

In the past, FPS was generally low and new asset loading caused hitching on both AMD and Nvidia hardware, with a solution being to disable GLSL shaders. This worked for Nvidia users, but broke compatibility with PoE (disabling GLSL = non-Shader Model 3.0 compliant = crash after loading screen I think).
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
"
GoorooX wrote:

well... i did this step by step and everything went as it was supposed to be except that i still cant launch the game.
i keep getting a bunch of errors as before:

"the D3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects were not released"
"Failed resetting Direc3D device objects"
"DXUT Createdevice failed"
"Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed"

not sure if i missed some step or still need to do additional settings.

im using:

Linux 12.04 (32bit)
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
wine 1.5.27
WINETRICKS_VERSION=20120912

thanks in advance :)

Hello, what overrides are listed in your "Libraries" tab in the Wine configuration window?
"
Espionage724 wrote:
I should probably read through some pages on this thread at some point, but how is PoE currently with Wine on AMD-based GPU's?

In the past, FPS was generally low and new asset loading caused hitching on both AMD and Nvidia hardware, with a solution being to disable GLSL shaders. This worked for Nvidia users, but broke compatibility with PoE (disabling GLSL = non-Shader Model 3.0 compliant = crash after loading screen I think).

Still not great on ATI - I get about 20-40 FPS with an ATI HD 4770 at 1920x1080 medium textures, no shadows, no AA (lowest settings) with some hesitations (summon skeletons does it pretty bad for example). It's better with the latest beta Mesa 9 (open source driver) than with the legacy proprietary driver overall though - lower average FPS but fewer pauses - a good trade-off.

I have upgraded my dual core to a quad and changed from Unity to LXDE (very light). Also, a recent PoE patch made some of the effects higher performance. Not sure that those things helped, but perhaps they did, to an extent.

I'll try switching back to the proprietary driver at some point possibly to see if anything has changed.
Last edited by Sovyn on Apr 10, 2013, 8:55:24 PM
From other threads I've seen the D3D reference count errors were related to the video card not being Shader Model 3.0 compliant (crappy integrated video).

What video card do you have trying to run poe with?

Also as a previous post asked.. what do your overrides look like?
After some struggle making this ***** windows 7 working correctly on virtualbox (every time i do something on a windows system, i have this feeling it is laughing at me), i have been able to play the game.
It is terribly laggy, something like 2 fps at best.
I was able to go to the flooded depth and the lower prison, and i was able to enter those zones without having my freeze issue.
But the game is totally unplayable this way, and it took my quite a lot of try with a lv 14 marauder to only attain the flooded depth, without speaking of the lower prison, so i would like to find a way to make it work on my ubuntu system.
If anyone has an idea on how to resolve the problem, i would be happy to try it if it allow me to play this wonderful game ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info