[Official] WINE info thread

"
Maeldun wrote:
Hey, I'm not sure if this was asked before, so sorry if this has already been answered (of which I can't find).

I used Play on Linux to install the game for me. Worked just fine (although the allocating resources took fucking sooo many hours, what the fuck). I had some freezing (which lost me a good dualist I was leveling) but then disabled GLSL support through the Play on Linux app and now the problem is gone. I also have some funky text shit going on, but I can still read it so it doesn't bother me too much. I have had a few crashes, not many (and seems to all be in act 3 iirc).

I just wanted to ask, Play on Linux seems to be using Wine 1.4 to run POE, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend changing this to a newer version of Wine?

The guide covers all of these issues.
Hello everyone
I have been trying to make this game work fine for almost two weeks, and managed to solve almost everything (game not starting, fire arrow crashes, font, etc) thanks to this thread, but there is still an issue that prevent me from going any further in the game: when i enter in certain zones (flooded depths, lower prison, and probably some other later, but i can't pass the lower prison), the game just freeze for around 30s and return to the logging screen, with one message like "you have been disconnected from the server".
No matter what i do and the setting i choose, it happen when i enter in those area.
Except for this freeze, i have been able to run the game perfectly (the fps are a little low but it is not unplayable) on wine, and then tried on playonlinux using Sovyn's guide, hoping there would be changes, but the same thing happen again.

I hope someone know how to fix it, and thanks for your hard work =)

ubuntu 12.04 lts 32bits
Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz × 2
GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i/PCI/SSE2
2,8 Gb ram
Last edited by Frolamiz on Apr 2, 2013, 11:44:44 PM
@Frolamiz

I get that too, but only very rarely and usually when I'm looking in my stash in town so no harm done.

Not letting you zone into some areas is certainly more severe.

I suspect this is a general Beta technical support issue rather than a Wine issue. I'd check the Technical Support forum - I'm sure there are many experiencing the same type of issue.

To troubleshoot, I'd go ahead and put Windows on a VirtualBox or a test bed and see if it does the same thing. If so, it's probably something wonky with the Internet pathway between you and GGG.
Thanks for the fast reply =)
I'll try the game on virtualbox, even if i don't really like doing it, and see what happen.

What version of windows is the best for PoE?
"
Frolamiz wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply =)
I'll try the game on virtualbox, even if i don't really like doing it, and see what happen.

What version of windows is the best for PoE?

I think most people would suggest Windows 7 at this point in time.
I've been playing for a while now on Debian Wheezy, GNOME 3.4, Intel HD4000 graphics. I know it's not exactly the most powerful GPU on the planet, so I didn't have high expectations, but the game was more or less playable - at the absolute minimum graphics settings, I'd get about 25-30fps standing just inside the Terraces and about 14fps in Lioneye's Watch. With some caution, a little bit of Incinerate and a lot of kiting, I made it all the way up to the end of Act 2.

Well, it turns out the Vaal Oversoul or whatever it is at the top of the pyramid at the end of Act 2 is a bastard. I don't know what crazy graphical effects he was trying to pull, but the FPS meter showed me dropping as low as 4fps, and I wound up getting one-hit killed over and over and over. I grit my teeth and burned through portal scrolls as I warped in, dropped a new portal, spammed Incinerate, died, and respawned in town, over and over again. I even got him down to about 25% health when the game crashed, taking my video-driver with it and forcing a reboot.

When I logged in again, instead of opting for the full GNOME 3 environment, I decided I'd try the "GNOME Classic" environment that uses no hardware acceleration, just to see if it ran a bit faster. Turns out, it sure does: the beginning of the Terraces jumped from 30fps to 60fps, and Lioneye's Watch jumped from 14fps to 40fps! Man, it's a completely different game when you can dodge incoming projectiles instead of just tanking them, especially if you're playing a Witch. :(

TL;DR: If you're playing PoE on Linux in Wine, with weaker graphics hardware and a modern, composited desktop environment like GNOME 3, Unity or KDE, you should totally try it with a 2D/compatibility/"classic" non-composited desktop environment; it might be *much* better.
"
Thristian wrote:
TL;DR: If you're playing PoE on Linux in Wine, with weaker graphics hardware and a modern, composited desktop environment like GNOME 3, Unity or KDE, you should totally try it with a 2D/compatibility/"classic" non-composited desktop environment; it might be *much* better.

Thanks for the idea! I will go try this today and let you guys know if it helps :D

Edit: I got the chance to try this out yesterday and it almost doubled my fps! I only got logged out due to lag once (it usually happens several times per hour for me) and it wasn't even during the big boss transformation of Vaal!!!!! I will be playing from Gnome classic instead of my unity desktop for now on!
It itches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by LordItchy on Apr 4, 2013, 11:00:54 PM
"
LordItchy wrote:
"
Thristian wrote:

Thanks for the idea! I will go try this today and let you guys know if it helps :D

Edit: I got the chance to try this out yesterday and it almost doubled my fps! I only got logged out due to lag once (it usually happens several times per hour for me) and it wasn't even during the big boss transformation of Vaal!!!!! I will be playing from Gnome classic instead of my unity desktop for now on!

Nice, congrats. I tried Unity 2D and I don't recall a performance boost, so I switched back to Unity 3D (Ubuntu is dropping Unity 2D in the new version in any case). Perhaps (theorizing) my graphics card (ATI HD 4770) is powerful enough that it makes little difference, or perhaps Unity 2D is not as lean as some of the other environment options.
Last edited by Sovyn on Apr 5, 2013, 1:58:47 AM
any halfway competent compositor will have a mode to disable compositing when a fullscreen window is on top. look for such an option, and complain loudly to the developers if it doesn't exist.
"
discomfitor wrote:
any halfway competent compositor will have a mode to disable compositing when a fullscreen window is on top.

According to Phoronix, GNOME 3 learned how to disable compositing for full-screen windows in GNOME 3.2; I'm currently running GNOME 3.4, so I should be good.

I've looked into this a bit more, and I'm quite confused. Here's what I've found:

- PoE can either be "slow" (15fps in Lioneye's Watch) or "fast" (30fps in Lioneye's Watch).
- If I reboot, log in (to GNOME 3 or GNOME Classic), PoE runs "fast" (wel, GNOME Classic is still a *little* faster, but fresh from a reboot GNOME 3 is closer to "fast" than "slow").
- If I run PoE or some other game, then quit and start PoE, it's still "fast".
- If I launch my browser and surf the Internet a bit, PoE is still "fast".
- If I launch my video-player and watch some videos, PoE is still "fast".
- If I leave my machine turned on, but I wander away for a bit so that the monitor powers down, PoE is still fast.
- If I play some PoE, quit, do some browsing, watch some videos, then leave the computer alone until the next day, PoE becomes "slow".

I originally blamed it on compositing/non-compositing, because I've seen that behaviour before with other games. However, when PoE is "slow", it's exactly the same speed in both composited and non-composited modes, and when PoE is "fast", composited mode is almost as fast. Something that happens on a regular basis is putting my machine into "slow" mode, and I have no idea what it could be.

At any rate, I'm still pleased to discover my GPU isn't nearly as crappy as I thought it was.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info