The basic principles of this guide can be seen on this video:
- Unmatched group utility (up to 7 auras, conduit, 70+ crit freezes and shocks every mob on screen)
- Unlimited potions
- Unbeliavle damage scaling from elemental sources
- Extremely high single target DPS from consecutive shock stacks
- Utilizes every stat in the game (except for spell dmg/crit)
- Dynamic. Build changes based on gear
- Auras can change to easily overcome map penalties
- Can be done as Templar, Witch, or (not so effectively) Shadow
- Very gear dependant
- Very weak mid-game leveling build
- Lower life total than most endgame builds
Single Target 4 Link = Power Siphon (level 5) + Faster Attacks + Weapon Elemental + Crit Damage
AOE 5 Link (6Link) = Power Siphon (level 5) + Chain + Weapon Elemental + LMP/GMP + Life Leech + (Faster Attacks/Additional Accuracy)
Totem 3 Link = Summon Skeletons + Spell Totem + Cast Speed/Enfeeble
Utility 3 Link = Elemental Weakness + Enduring Cry + Cast Speed/Enduring Cry
Auras = 4 Link = Reduced Mana + Discipline + Grace + Determination/Vitality
Auras = 4 Link = Reduced Mana + Wrath + Clarity/TempestShield/Purity + Haste + Anger(fullcost)
Weapon Swap = Brightbeak x2 = Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Whatever Auras you are not using
Discipline, Wrath, and Anger are always used. If you run 7 auras, after casting the 3 auras linked to a reduced mana gem, replace the reduce mana gem and cast Anger at full cost to save 1 gem socket.
Haste is optional, and only used if you are above 2.4k(ish) mana.
Replace Determination for Vitality if you, or your group, needs added life regen.
Replace Clarity with Purity and drop Grace if you need to, for elemental weakness map.
Replace Clarity with TempestShield if your mana pool is sufficient. Probably takes around 3k Mana.
Level 84 on HC: 10k Dps single target, 1.4k Dps AOE using GMP, 4.5k Life, 2.6k Mana, 3k Armor (26k with granite), 4k Evasion. 230 Mana/s using clarity, 160 Mana/s without clarity.
Notes On Gear:
- Best Wand will have 3 Elemental rolls, Crit, Attack Speed, and Crit Damage, Accuracy, or Mana Regen. +skills are kind of nice for temp wands because the bonus can apply to Anger or Wrath if you move it to the wand.
- Try to use Armor based gear. 1 good hybrid, or full ES piece will let you go from 6 to 7 auras. I feel this is a good trade-off because it also skyrockets your mana regen.
- Top stat on any piece is Life. Secondary is Elemental Damage. Thirdly Accuracy/Resists.
- You must never be below 70% in any resist because you may die to reflect mobs.
Notes On Potions:
- Get those exact potions.
The Begining - 1h mace/shield, or 2h maul/staff. Use glacial hammer with ground slam +added fire. Build around elemental so if your gear is good enough you can make an instant transition.
Step 1: Start
Step 2: Life
Step 3: Life
Step 4: Resists
Step 5: The Long Void of Life
Step 6: The Eldritch
Step 7: Life
Step 8: Wands Finally (respec 4 points)
Step 9: Static+Life
Normal = Help Oak
Crual = Kill All
Merc = Help Western Forest Bandit
Making The Transition To Wands:
You will probably want to play in a group as leveling as Templar with a bad melee build will result in many likely deaths. When you transition to wands your main problem will be having enough mana, but it will naturally go away as you get better gear. The main issue on the transition is getting a 4 linked blue/red/green/green item. Find one and use it regardless of stats using PS+LMP+WE+Chain/Fork/Pierce. Your next problem will be finding enough dex. To solve this you may have to spec and respec out of the 30 dex nodes depending on your gear. Level every aura all the way up as fast as you can.
Elemental vs Physical Wands:
Elemental wander basically owns physical because its pretty much the same build but the physical one gets less life nodes as more wand nodes are required to scale the physical portion properly. If you happen to get an insane physical wand, just run hatred and maybe added fire -- don't change anything else -- you don't need more damage than what your auras, and your wand provides.
This is among the strongest builds in the game for map grinding, but it is not for most people. It is very difficult to stay alive when compared to other builds, and the gear requirement is extremely high. Also, fewer people playing means cheaper gear for me, so you should probably go manmode, and play ground slam marauder.