! Important Notice from GGG ! hiring experienced graphics programmer [ 1st page - UPDATED ]

"
morbo wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
so starting from scratch would be easier and cheaper...wut?

Using an available game engine is not starting from scratch. If they have hard time finding coders for their own engine, they might license some of the available products instead.

Would that not be starting over? I dunno, im no programmer.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
That sucks...
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
Generally if your code is properly abstracted, changing a library(and I'm guessing graphics engines are just another library) is theoretically just a matter of swapping out all the code that called it directly(which in theory should be concentrated in a wrapper). Given that said library would be the graphics engine, it's probably still a ridiculous amount of work and it's the best case scenario. I very much doubt it's an option for GGG.
Anyone else remember this old comment on a Kotaku board from 2012? Source

I remember people at the time saying it was just some troll but it seemed too specific to be made up IMO.

"
I worked with these guys once, right at the (relative) beginning of this project, in late 2007. The fourth of the four friends was gone and it was just the three of them and myself in one of their garages. Back then they were a year in and intending to release definitely sometime in 2008. From what I understand/remember their initial funding came from a business Chris had duping Diablo 2 items and selling them online for real money. Questionable ethics aside, they had a real advantage in terms of resource.

The lead programmer spent his time sleeping (snoring) on a couch and playing Team Fortress 2 all day. The only one who seemed to get much done was the artist. I was straight out of game school, put to work on a useless tool with no actual real task other than "clean this code up." Eventually I lost motivation and found other stuff to do and they told me they would have no more work for me after that other stuff and that was fine with me.

Credit to them, their initial goal with this was to basically create a next-gen Diablo 2 where THEY sell the items (pre-empting our current microtransactions). The business plan was ahead of its time but they have more than missed the boat, as now that Diablo 3 is out and everything has microtransactions and DLC, there seems to be nothing special about the product they are offering.

Several years later I'm unimpressed with what they have achieved. With the resources they had they could have done for more than they have. Instead they put out this trash and then go around publicizing it as though its something to be proud of. They also had the nerve to give "lectures" to people at the last games industry conference even though, despite that they have created this... software they haven't really achieved any real success and therefore, in my book, are thoroughly unqualified to be giving any advice. Indeed I went to the lead programmer's talk (which was about skilltree design, because that makes sense...?) and it was literally the worst one of the whole conference. He got ripped up in the question time afterwards fairly badly and I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Unfortunately, news stories like this on such a well-read website such as Kotaku will only serve to inflate their already over-sized egos, when really what these guys have always needed is a reality check [Removed by Support].

They like to paint themselves, and indeed the article above helps to paint them as a few rogues who started out with nothing and have played by their own rules and come out on top after a long 6 year slog. The fact is, from my own (admittedly limited) experience, the anecdotes in industry I have heard and the FACTS (6 years and still not released) they were actually [Removed by Support] who started out with plenty of resource, squandered it, ignored the advice and refused the help of people who knew more about what they were doing (playing by their own rules, remember?) and after it all...still really haven't accomplished much at all.

"Perfectionists?" I would be embarrassed to use that word about myself on the verge of releasing a product like Path of Exile.
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Apr 3, 2014, 12:50:22 PM
"
I remember people at the time saying it was just some troll but it seemed too specific to be made up IMO.

yaaa.... It's a troll.
finding a good coder, that is willing to put up with what poe gfx engine is and where this entire game is heading (i still remember 'we wont provide gfx toggle for particles because atmosphere is so much more important than gameplay'), is willing to accept the financial is going to be very very tricky

what is strange is that most successful indie or post-indie gaming studios have 100s people storming their offices for a chance at FREE internship
"

what is strange is that most successful indie or post-indie gaming studios have 100s people storming their offices for a chance at FREE internship

Most successful indie studios are not located in New Zealand which lacks human resources. US has far far more qualified workers. GGG has to actually find people willing to fly to New Zealand for most hires.
Last edited by kasub on Apr 3, 2014, 1:03:09 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
Would that not be starting over? I dunno, im no programmer.

Not really. They would need some serious work to port the game on a different architecture (a different scene graph, rendering pipeline, etc..), but most of the assets (models, animations, textures, shaders) would be reused (provided GGG uses industry standards in their development).

Ofc. finding some expert to work on your existing code is cheaper than switching engines, but if its not available or you need 'years' to get one, then the next best thing is to use proven solutions that are available on the market.

Even big game producers use 3rd party engines like ID Tech or Source, because its way cheaper than developing your own technology.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I'm quite convinced that they can't easily switch to any industry used engine. For several reasons:
1) ARPG is not typical rendering engine application
2) It will need a big overhaul of what they are already having - this alone needs expert
3) It's never that easy as switching from one abstraction to another - not even closely
4) The amount of work and time to switch would be extreme

The best bet for them is to start slowly rewriting parts of their rendering engine in clearly planned manner to "upgrade" the engine onto next level. Piece by piece strategy.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
Last edited by Filousov on Apr 3, 2014, 1:16:40 PM
Thank you all for writing your opinions here. Just came from work and had lots of fun reading this. Well i hope someone right for the job notices this and applies for the job, this really sucks and it is slowing the process of making this game more awesome than already is.

Someone help us and GGG :).
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info