Crit Ele Split Ripper - Fastest map clearer? You decide! Up to 95 crit

"
forzazx6 wrote:
What's this got to do with windripper? From what i see all the damage comes from auras + tornado shot, pretty sure you can smack this on any ele harbinger and get better results.

Yes it provides rarity etc but you titled the topic "fastest" clear speed, pretty sure you can get 5L harbinger for 2-3ex and get better results

Harbinger Bows are painfully slow, and slow is by far the worst thing you can do to an elemental aura build. In the end, what Mathil's video shows more than anything is that it is very easy to hit the 1-shot threshold with Tornado Shot, and once you hit that point where you 1-shot mobs, then doing more damage only really makes bosses die faster, and at that point you're better off investing into attack speed, which would not only kill bosses faster, but packs as well.

A Harbinger Bow couldn't possibly keep up with a Windripper, there's a reason no one's ever bothered to craft a top tier elemental Harbinger Bow, and if you use a physical Harbinger Bow then you've just went and made a completely different build.
"
"
forzazx6 wrote:
What's this got to do with windripper? From what i see all the damage comes from auras + tornado shot, pretty sure you can smack this on any ele harbinger and get better results.

Yes it provides rarity etc but you titled the topic "fastest" clear speed, pretty sure you can get 5L harbinger for 2-3ex and get better results

Harbinger Bows are painfully slow, and slow is by far the worst thing you can do to an elemental aura build. In the end, what Mathil's video shows more than anything is that it is very easy to hit the 1-shot threshold with Tornado Shot, and once you hit that point where you 1-shot mobs, then doing more damage only really makes bosses die faster, and at that point you're better off investing into attack speed, which would not only kill bosses faster, but packs as well.

A Harbinger Bow couldn't possibly keep up with a Windripper, there's a reason no one's ever bothered to craft a top tier elemental Harbinger Bow, and if you use a physical Harbinger Bow then you've just went and made a completely different build.

For me personally the threshold only counts if you do it in atleast 5men party, where windripper falls short, because harbinger will keep 1shotting.

I'd be happy to see if mathil could test this in a group and share results.
"
forzazx6 wrote:
For me personally the threshold only counts if you do it in atleast 5men party, where windripper falls short, because harbinger will keep 1shotting.

I'd be happy to see if mathil could test this in a group and share results.

I suppose it would be interesting to see how well it scales in a party. But I'm sure Windripper would still beat out a Harbinger in any situation. The added Damage per Hit of a few top tier Ele rolls just isn't that much, there is no Tyrannical roll for Elemental Weapons, Ele weapons just don't have that sort of scalability, at least not on the weapon itself. Plus Windripper has 2 really good Ele rolls on it by default anyways.

In the end, you can get 169.5 average Ele Damage/hit using a bow with 3 perfectly rolled top tier elemental damage rolls. Whereas using L20 Heralds + Auras results in an average of 377.5 ele damage. So just that alone shows that Auras make up the vast majority of your damage, even when using absolutely perfect damage rolls.

Factor in flat damage on gear and things get pushed even further in favour of using a Windripper where the attack speed scales all of those numbers at a much higher rate. And all of that is ignoring the fact that Windripper actually has 2 high ele rolls on it by default putting it at a potential 104.5 ele damage per hit with top rolls, not as high as getting 3xT1 rolls, but high enough to render those rolls pretty useless in comparison. The only thing a Harbinger Bow has in its favour is that it can get a Crit Multi roll, but that's no-where near enough to counter the fact that Windripper can attack so much faster, because all of those numbers are damage per hit, once you start to calculate DPS, a Harbinger Bow, or really any bow that isn't a Windripper instantly looks terrible for Ele damage because Windripper really is that OP, and even Mirror-worthy bows can't really compare.

People tend to get tricked into thinking that Windripper is special because it has that rarity and quantity, but it's actually special because it takes the best quality of a Harbinger Bow, and the best quality of a Thicket Bow, and just mashes them together with no consideration for balance. Obviously Harbinger Bows still win for anything Physical related, but Windripper basically made all other bows except for that obsolete. Really the rarity and quantity are mostly an afterthought, since it is difficult to Freeze/Shock the bosses that people usually farm, meaning that the bonus is mostly only applied to trash mobs. Which is still a nice bonus, but not nearly as big as it sounds on paper.
Last edited by Shotgun_Surgeon on Oct 25, 2014, 6:04:54 AM
"
forzazx6 wrote:

Better results? I don't understand your implications at all. A crit ele build is all about the auras/heralds and boosting them, the best your weapon can do is give the most attack speed/crit possible. Windripper happens to do that AND have good ele damage AND give that free rarity/quantity.

Are you somehow implying a Harbinger provides better results because you can get an extra fire damage roll on it, perhaps an inkling more light/cold and then lose crit and lots of attack speed?

I provided the best budget bow as an option in the form of Death's Harp. It gives you far bigger hits with that 100% crit multi mod but reduces your clear speed because it's just not as fast. When having such low defences and high dps, your attack speed/run speed is a major factor in how well you live and clear. A harbinger is nothing compared to Windripper for this build so I'm really not sure where better results are supposed to come from.

I will probably have a video or 2 up in the next week of group play though, yes.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Last edited by Mathil on Oct 25, 2014, 6:27:20 AM
what gem would you remove for a 5l? crit multi?
ign: DreamsofIllusions
"
polo2005 wrote:
what gem would you remove for a 5l? crit multi?

Yes.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Would the new life based spec also be able to kill Atziri?
With something like Elemental Hit for single target.
"
ExG4m3r wrote:
Would the new life based spec also be able to kill Atziri?
With something like Elemental Hit for single target.

What I'm running now? Should be able to easily, yea.
What would be the bandits rewards for the new spec? Sticking with the old ones or taking Life from Oak?
"
Reaveler wrote:
What would be the bandits rewards for the new spec? Sticking with the old ones or taking Life from Oak?

Guide on page 1 is updated already.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info