[1.3.x] Dual Flame Totems: Solo, Self-Found, Beginner-friendly. AA+EB!

"
Mivo wrote:
I'll probably not update this guide for the Forsaken Masters expansion. With the severe nerf to life, and the heavy reliance of this build on a large life pool and the resulting high HP regeneration, I'm not convinced that it will work nearly as well in 1.2 and after as it did in 1.1x. The resist cap increasing nodes are also gone.

Right now, I feel that with the 1.2 changes, a mana-based Flame Totem build would be the more attractive choice, particularly because it allows for running defensive auras. If I were to play a dual-totem build in 1.2 (I typically play different builds in new leagues for variety), I would even consider a CI build (should be affordable with the new Masters), though life+MoM+EB may be a better approach.

From the patch notes, a couple of support mana multipliers are reduced:
Added Chaos Damage: 150% -> 140%
Greater Multiple Projectiles: 200% -> 165%

My current L66 Scion has a Flame Totem mana cost of 321. That should go down to 247 in Forsaken Masters.
From playing around with the Passive Skill Tree Planner, I'm definitely not sure this build will not work well after the new expansion.

While life percentages in the life nodes are reduced, there are two mitigating factors:
1. Life gained from level is increased from 8 to 12 per level
2. Two of the support gems have their mana multiplier reduced, reducing mana per flame totem to around 75% of before.

Here are the numbers from my test build and the current 100 point one:
Spoiler
Attribute New Old Diff
Strength 290 360 -70
Dexterity 70 80 -10
Intelligence 110 142 -32
Maximum life 291 302 -11
Life regeneration (%) 8.3 7.7 0.6
Increased maximum life (%) 152 216 -64
Increased Totem damage (%) 50 50 0
Increased Totem life (%) 80 28 52
Increased Totem duration (%) 40 25 15
Increased armor (%) 62 50 12
Increased evasion (%) 38 16 22
Increased energy shield (%) 22 28.8 -6.8
Increased Cast Summoning Totems (%) 65 65 0
Totem elemental resistance (%) 25 15 10
Totem physical damage reduction (%) 16 10 6
Totem increased cast speed (%) 10 6 4
Totem increase attach speed (%) 16 10 6
Increased effect of buffs (%) 5 3 2
Increased elemental damage (%) 42 24 18
Lightning resistance (%) 67 34 33
Fire resistance (%) 69 34 35
Cold resistance (%) 67 34 33
Chaos resistance (%) 20 12 8
Max lightning resistance 0 3 -3
Max fire resistance 1 3 -2
Max cold resistance 0 3 -3
Enemies cannot leech life Yes No

Life percentage goes down from 216% to 152%, true enough, but this I think will be offset by the two factors mentioned above, plus there is another 30% life available with 6 skill points.

Apart from that, the new build is a lot stronger on a lot of points:
* Slightly more life regeneration (0.6%)
* Better totems all around
* Slightly more armor and evasion, but a little less energy shield
* Almost double the elemental damage percentage
* Double(!) the elemental resistance
It is a bit weaker on a few:
* Less strength, dexterity and intelligence (4 skill points will get +40/30/30)
* Less plus to maximum resistance (only +1% to fire, vs. +3% to all before)

So, if you lose the extra elemental resistance I put on (well, you can't lose the fire resistance because of the way the paths go), the extra totem cluster, and the extra elemental damage, that'll buy you 6 skill points. I think given the two mitigating factors, that'll by and large make a build at least as good as the old one.

Edit: New skill planner is active. Here is the test build I used above...
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56EGHtz7-Cti9NZK18m6qSsg_J2SEBqD5vcauEMwrtoxG-JMcpwxfU6U8LUz_r2zFivAfBLMCcaIAxPYn7fxLbBaHGayqWfMqE1orLKej8sAakFWnhBo4Zp760jbp42okqhZvGmydrqcI2t24k6eU0f3kIrUEXcZG1-0g4XOLjHKp9zLqGPjrFHHfv6cwns3SIWoeqBjyL2o7ROekrLyf7w4nL-OfXz-iDy7_UFAUIFBHGJFKxHhp9q6Kr5ARWGM=

Note that Marauder will be slightly better passive-wise, with +6 life and +16% armor.

An interesting variation if using a shield is scrapping the specific Lightning/Cold resistances, but taking the 4 shield block nodes by 'Sanctuary'. That gives an extra 8% block, plus 22% Elemental Resist when holding a shield. So, you'll be down 8% in those two resist (59% vs. 67%), but even higher for Fire (91% vs. 69%), and get the extra block.
Last edited by Cyzax on Aug 20, 2014, 7:43:05 PM
Life pool is nearly the same than before, instead of take life in tree you get it back from stats per level ( 8 before - 12 now ).
Also with master crafting it will be easier to get some extra life on gears.

Second thing, a mana variant is possible thats true, but even with most of mana cost nerfed you will still need to get it on items for extra mana / mana regen and it's not really what we want after all isn't it ?

Best regards, and hope for an update :)

Crash.
Hf :)
Currently I'm playing with this passive build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAnEEswagDF8QzBQgFHEWbxiRGNcaOBpsHKckqicvJ-0qEyynLv8x-zWSNuk8LT8nQYdE50bXSsRKyEz_UEdQUFOlVbVZ81orXcZeXV8_ZIRmnmh0ajtsFm6qcql4aXsgf-OHGYuMkFWUoJ2uns2iAKIPo_KkrKcIpzCnhKeUrKqvbLUEtfK3PriTvJ_AGsEExBXE9sWKxq7R_dhN2L3aYtrd37_hc-Nq45_kIuoY7SDvDvAf8i_2rvcy-JP46_m9-ej60vxL_gr-hw==
and its working perfectly nice. From before I have ca 600 more hp, 100 more life reg, way more resistence and some dmg. So I would say with 1.2 this build is working perfectly well.
I just tried the build I posted above (adjusted for my char only being L66 at the moment), and it is actually MUCH better than before!

My total life and life regen is up, and the cost of the Flame Totems are WAY down (from 321 to 180). Elemental resists are through the roof, meaning I can get nice gear with lots of life cheap since I don't need it to provide much resist!

Kill speed is not affected at all :-)
How about this build?

Spoiler

Only 7.5% life regen (which is 0.2% less compared to the old build) but you have 192% increased max life and 141% increased fire damage. You only have +30% resists but that should be enough resists for most people. If you need more resists, there are a lot of resists nodes available.
those nodes with increased fire damage works with the totem?
Spoiler

TL,DR: Yes, those increased fire damage nodes work with Flame Totem too.
Hello,

I am level 75 (templar) and with the respec, this build is more effective : more life, more DPS and more choice for the tree...
Only reserve : the resistance have lower max
Thx again for this build !! i'am enjoying it a lot : )
Last edited by A55ayan on Aug 21, 2014, 8:37:41 PM
same here, respeced it, lvl 80 (i think), and for me goes following
- a lot more hp (3.8k with tabula)
- 2.4 k dmg ( before 1.2)
- res are quite ok.

still in testing mode, for my opinion its better than before.

i have to say i dont have to expensive gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info