new waypoint art

I think the new waypoint art looks great and fits PoE just fine.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
I have to admit they are too bloomy. Problem is there is no way to increase or decrease how much bloom an object receives. I love what they look like in dark environments but man in the brighter areas they go bright white and huge.

I Could make them dimmer and so on but we were trying to make them stand out even when activated.

The new WP art is a step in the right direction. Now you have to get rid of these horrible ugly white doorway/entrance highlights. Seriously, who kept THAT in the (post beta)game? O.o" My "view of a graphics-guy" always screams in pain when it sees that plain white highlighting. ^^""

Here, this is how a proper entrance highlight could look:

http://www.rarityguide.com/articles/content_images/1/diablo3/diablo3cathedrallevel1.jpg *
*colour may vary

With such an outstanding portal you don't need any additional highlight effects! ;)

As previously explained, each different looking entrance will need an effect specialized for it, this isn't the case for waypoints because they're all identical. So it makes sense that waypoints got upgraded first.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 8, 2014, 1:05:03 AM
Stairs/doors/entrances could all have the same effect, maybe different colours to separate them from an Portal/waypoint and of course different shapes. But overall it can and should be the same effect to always recognize it as clickable pathway.
I have no clue how GGG can throw out the most impressive Microtransaction effects and art, even animated and all-polished but still has these ugly white "alpha" entrance effects in. Talented people are there, obviously, but nobody has time to finalize these basic graphic pieces?
Last edited by Fusion_Power on Mar 8, 2014, 8:57:49 AM
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
Stairs/doors/entrances could all have the same effect, maybe different colours to separate them from an Portal/waypoint and of course different shapes. But overall it can and should be the same effect to always recognize it as clickable pathway.
I have no clue how GGG can throw out the most impressive Microtransaction effects and art, even animated and all-polished but still has these ugly white "alpha" entrance effects in. Talented people are there, obviously, but nobody has time to finalize these basic graphic pieces?
When I say different effects, I mean the same effect but custom molded to suit the shape of the doorway that it is attached/applied to. That takes a lot more work then what was required to update effects for the waypoint (There are numerous different door/entry designs).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 8, 2014, 3:49:21 PM
"
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
When I say different effects, I mean the same effect but custom molded to suit the shape of the doorway that it is attached/applied to. That takes a lot more work then what was required to update effects for the waypoint (There are numerous different door/entry designs).

Uh, you usualy use shader effects for this stuff, it's not "hand made". You already have the white surfaces, they are already matching and defined. I can imagine that GGG can replace these with more transparent and different coloured versions, add some shader effects for that surface and it's basicly done. ^^
No need to start from 0.
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
"
"
Fusion_Power wrote:

Uh, you usualy use shader effects for this stuff, it's not "hand made". You already have the white surfaces, they are already matching and defined. I can imagine that GGG can replace these with more transparent and different coloured versions, add some shader effects for that surface and it's basicly done. ^^
No need to start from 0.

You still have to end up making about 4-5 versions for this. We were gonna do this then our graphics programmer left to work on his own engine... It was his next task. Then water : <
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell wrote:
You still have to end up making about 4-5 versions for this. We were gonna do this then our graphics programmer left to work on his own engine... It was his next task. Then water : <

Is the new engine meant for use in POE? Or a personal project of the graphics programmer? I recall asking something similar before but don't recall getting a response.
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 9, 2014, 6:09:43 AM
"
Russell wrote:

Uh, he's gone? O.o"
Well, I guess you still have talented GFX artists there, all the new Legendarys (3D Art) and Microtransactions they throw out regulary, like full animated pets seems to be much more complex than a plain portal highlight surface. :)

And your water is fine, what should be wrong with that?
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
"
Russell wrote:

Uh, he's gone? O.o"
Well, I guess you still have talented GFX artists there, all the new Legendarys (3D Art) and Microtransactions they throw out regulary, like full animated pets seems to be much more complex than a plain portal highlight surface. :)

And your water is fine, what should be wrong with that?

They're after much more realistic water (Water crashing against rocks/walls/surfaces), a way to control the direction the water flows, the speed it flows at, how choppy it is, reflective properties of the water surface including translucency etc. (I think), otherwise they want to fix the age old bug where auras aren't visible in water.
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 9, 2014, 3:37:34 PM
"

They're after much more realistic water (Water crashing against rocks/walls/surfaces), a way to control the direction the water flows, the speed it flows at, how choppy it is, reflective properties of the water surface including translucency etc. (I think), otherwise they want to fix the age old bug where auras aren't visible in water.

Hmm, never had a problem with that and never noticed this with the Auras. Do Water even reflect in PoE? Well, I guess there are much more important (graphical) issues to solve than water right now. Especialy the overall game performance. Your mentioned points sounds like even more FPS issues than improvements. ;)
I would rahter see some optimizing and simplifications that garantee us stable 60 FPS even in 6 player partys and even on "normal" PC's. ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info