Just played my paragon 106 barb in d3...THE BIG PATCH 2.01

"
eggwhites wrote:

It's the typical, ignorant D3 criticism. You harp on there being no permanence in D3 yet don't acknowledge the existence of Regret orbs in PoE, which are easily attained by the bulk with a few exalts. I've respecced so many times I've lost count. There is no permanence. None. Whatsoever. I can buy 80 regret orbs right now for a handful of exalted.

"All the characters are the same"... PoE doesn't even have classes, our characters ARE literally the same save for the starting area on the tree. D3 has 6 completely different classes with completely different gameplay styles with completely different skills. If you were referring to all characters having the same gear, that's no longer an issue with Loot 2.0 & RoS. There's a lot of variety in gear choice now. If you had made that point a few months ago then I'd agree.

Let's not ignore the fact that most PoE skill trees have an inordinate amount of points sunk into HP nodes. This just makes your statement about homogeneity even more baffling. In terms of viable, end-game builds there are FAR more in D3 than in PoE. That's a fact.

I play, enjoy, and love both of these games because I'm not an irrational fanboy of either. This forum is honestly disgusting to read due to posts like the ones made in this thread and others. It actually turns me off to the game when I realize I'm a part of such a blind, elitist, delusional community. There are plenty of you who are not like that, but those types are diamonds in the rough more than anything.

First, I said "Or even anything that comes close to it". This would be like needing to use currency to respec. So, I knew damn well about regret orbs.

I stick by my statement. I've been playing 2.0 for over a couple days now (in spare time). For ME, it still DOES NOT fix any of the problems whatsoever. Weapon DMG being MAIN dmg modifiers for SPELLS. This is stupid. I hate it. I'm using a 1.3k DPS 1h weapon for my wizard, and it's a sword. It's dumb.

There's no need for me to reroll. Not even to question it. In PoE, you have a choice of spending x currency or rerolling. And the cost isn't cheap.

Death penalties? None. ZERO. The game just does not offer anything interesting for me. I keep trying to see what people like about it. Other than fluid combat, I don't understand. No choices, no penalties, nada. What's the point in role-playing, when there's no role? Lots of action, I'll give them that. But I just don't ever feel connected to my characters.

"
SL4Y3R wrote:
The game just does not offer anything interesting for me. I keep trying to see what people like about it. Other than fluid combat, I don't understand. No choices, no penalties, nada. What's the point in role-playing, when there's no role? Lots of action, I'll give them that. But I just don't ever feel connected to my characters.

Pretty bizarrely I've always felt that way about my PoE characters, templates. The thing I did get sort of attached to in PoE was a specific playstyle which, imo, has been wrecked beyond recognition. Obviously shit like desync doesn't help there.

I rarely felt like I had a choice in PoE either, most things ended up sucking total ass in terms of viability and the vast majority of methods to play in this game are pretty terrible. I don't know how anyone can stand shooting shit in this game, I really can't.

Oh, still haven't tried any form of D3.
To each his own :)

Edit I've also lost my favorite playstyle in this game, and I'm pretty damn sure it won't be coming back. Which is a shame.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Mar 2, 2014, 2:25:28 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Edit I've also lost my favorite playstyle in this game, and I'm pretty damn sure it won't be coming back. Which is a shame.

What playstyle was it?
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
eggwhites wrote:

It's the typical, ignorant D3 criticism. You harp on there being no permanence in D3 yet don't acknowledge the existence of Regret orbs in PoE, which are easily attained by the bulk with a few exalts. I've respecced so many times I've lost count. There is no permanence. None. Whatsoever. I can buy 80 regret orbs right now for a handful of exalted.

"All the characters are the same"... PoE doesn't even have classes, our characters ARE literally the same save for the starting area on the tree. D3 has 6 completely different classes with completely different gameplay styles with completely different skills. If you were referring to all characters having the same gear, that's no longer an issue with Loot 2.0 & RoS. There's a lot of variety in gear choice now. If you had made that point a few months ago then I'd agree.

Let's not ignore the fact that most PoE skill trees have an inordinate amount of points sunk into HP nodes. This just makes your statement about homogeneity even more baffling. In terms of viable, end-game builds there are FAR more in D3 than in PoE. That's a fact.

I play, enjoy, and love both of these games because I'm not an irrational fanboy of either. This forum is honestly disgusting to read due to posts like the ones made in this thread and others. It actually turns me off to the game when I realize I'm a part of such a blind, elitist, delusional community. There are plenty of you who are not like that, but those types are diamonds in the rough more than anything.

First, I said "Or even anything that comes close to it". This would be like needing to use currency to respec. So, I knew damn well about regret orbs.

I stick by my statement. I've been playing 2.0 for over a couple days now (in spare time). For ME, it still DOES NOT fix any of the problems whatsoever. Weapon DMG being MAIN dmg modifiers for SPELLS. This is stupid. I hate it. I'm using a 1.3k DPS 1h weapon for my wizard, and it's a sword. It's dumb.

There's no need for me to reroll. Not even to question it. In PoE, you have a choice of spending x currency or rerolling. And the cost isn't cheap.

Death penalties? None. ZERO. The game just does not offer anything interesting for me. I keep trying to see what people like about it. Other than fluid combat, I don't understand. No choices, no penalties, nada. What's the point in role-playing, when there's no role? Lots of action, I'll give them that. But I just don't ever feel connected to my characters.

I like how you completely ignored over half of the post and went on some random, tangential rant:

"

You have no answer to the above because it destroys your argument. Completely obliterates it.

As for death penalties, you actually lose your character and all your gear forever when you die in hardcore. In PoE you get transferred to Standard and can resell your gear for standard currency and then trade that for HC currency. It's a complete joke and it's a common occurrence that you see all the time. What death penalty? As for softcore, losing 10% xp isn't a noteworthy loss unless you're in the high 80s/90s. It's also just a time sink in the guise of hardcore gameplay.

As for "rerolling"... do you people realize this is nothing more than yet another time sink? It's a way to extend the carrot-on-the-stick model that this game relies so heavily on. PoE is F2P and GGG's core goal is to have you keep playing, to never quit. This is why RNG is such a huge issue, this is why drops are shit, and this is why you can't "reroll" easily because that would mean less time spent in the game grinding away. That's all it is. But deluded fanboys of this game think it's some sort of hardcore gameplay mechanic that requires "hard decisions and choices" when the reality is that it's simply a time sink to keep you playing the game. That's it. This game is made for profit. No matter what they say, they're in it to make money and the only way to sustain income in a F2P game is to keep you playing by any means necessary (i.e., time sinks). This lesson in F2P model theory has been brought to you by eggwhites; the amino acid-filled, protein-rich food of champions.
No build diversity? Forget the skill tree. There's large differences between the gear you're using. Just to use uniques as an example, we have the sharkskin boots, lightning coil, kaoms, crown of eyes, Cloak of Defiance, summoner uniques, and a LARGE amount more.

Depending on the unqiue you have, will VASTLY change the skill tree you use. As far as defenses go:

Block, AR, EV (usually with Acro), MoM, CI (With or without GR/ZO), HP+ES.

There's crit builds, not crit builds. High attack speed (blender) builds. And a metric ton more.

And no, it's not a fact that there's more "end game" builds in D3. Prove it first. Because I just rattled off a lot of different build defenses, didn't even have to include skills yet.

If you like D3, gratz. But speak for yourself.
"
lukeiy wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

What playstyle was it?

CI that didn't use leech, but instead relied on ES Cooldown nodes in order to quickly regen in between fights.
D3 RoS = Action game with fake name and fake description of content to scam people.

PoE = ARPG made by small comapany to kick Blizzards ass because they kicked Blizzard Norths ass. (And therefore Blizzard failed hard because of their WoW-is-the-only-game-in-the-World attitude.)

I sometimes see PoE as a game made just to own Blizzard, which it did. Trolls from New Zealand owning Blizzard.
Posting about Diablo 3 on the PoE forums. Yep, that's going to go down well. I also have to chuckle about how D3 failed and how PoE is kicking Blizzard's arse.

Consider D3 sold 3.5 million copies in the first 24 hours. Now one can argue (I think successfully) that this was due to people playing the earlier games like D2 and bought it on blind faith. Even if you discount these people and the debacle that was the launch, people still bought the game.

After 12 months, not only did D3 continue to sell, it sold well. So much that it sold 12 million copies during that year. Now a lot of fans would have probably left from that initial 3.5 million but the game continues to sell.

With all the bad publicity, you would think the opposite and people would stay away from it? No they don't, then why does it continue to sell?

And a year later during 2013, it's sold another 3 million copies. That averages out to 250,000 copies a month. So obviously it's selling well. And looking at the price of D3 x 250K buyers a month, that's still a nice little revenue earner for Blizzard nearly two years later.

And with Reaper of Souls, I'd be interested to know how the sales will go for this. Are we going to see the millions of copies that will be sold during this year? I think so. In commercial terms, D3 has been a success with even with the bad publicity and excluding the initial 3.5 mil pre-orders.

It's easy to rip into Blizzard but you have to hand it to them, they know how to make money and continue to make money with the bad publicity they received and players leaving. Even if they sell a game that has gameplay the equivalent of a turd.
No one is denying they don't know how to make some money :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info