Players are using bots killing the game

"
Fruz wrote:
"
Playing melee? Well as soon as you walk through a doorway in an indoor map every single enemy immediately begins spamming their skills at you

And when you play a range char, for many of them, if you click on an enemy beyond a doorway that has desynced and is actually not in sight .... you end up at melee range, but you don't have the same defences.
It's not a matter of melee or not at this point, desync will screw ranges even more than melees ( well maybe not Cyclone to be honest lol ).

Group play is much easier than solo, this however won't be denied by anyone I guess, but that's not really a matter of trading or not there depending on loot allocation.
You can trade of course, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Yes, those same mobs have the potential to be just as dangerous to ranged characters.

On the trading point though. Sure, you can choose not to trade, but if you look at the average gear of a trader vs average gear of a self founder the difference is immense. In order to just be able to comfortably run mid level maps took me over 1k hours self found whereas it can be done in a couple of days when using trading. This gap needs to be closed but that is besides the point of this discussion.
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Freeslana wrote:
"
braheem wrote:

Every thread in this forum has atleast one white-knight that, for no apparent reason at all, likes to shoot down any criticism or negative observation about the current state of the game. It's very interesting to observe this sort of behaviour extend from what's more well known to be blind patriotism and make its way to video game fanboyism.

Hah, you should also notice that in like half the cases, the white-knight is anubite.

LOL, called it, Anu!

This is getting like a never ending trash TV session.
Look at all the black-knights in here riding each other.

Except unlike anubite, I'm not a knight. 90% of the time, you see him defending GGG whatever they do. Do you see me hating GGG whatever they do? I only complain when there's a reason to complain. He just discards any arguments against GGG's decisions.
Old april 2012 account got stolen
Last edited by Freeslana on Feb 26, 2014, 6:59:16 AM
"

On the trading point though. Sure, you can choose not to trade, but if you look at the average gear of a trader vs average gear of a self founder the difference is immense. In order to just be able to comfortably run mid level maps took me over 1k hours self found whereas it can be done in a couple of days when using trading. This gap needs to be closed but that is besides the point of this discussion.

Well yeah there is a huge gap between self-found and trading, I'm waiting for GGG's next trading system, because if trading becomes less tedious ( using shop indexers is quite okay though, but an IG tool would be far superior imho ), it should be less of a problem and probably easier to balance.
Now, what is exactly GGG's aim ?
Who knows ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
braheem wrote:
Every thread in this forum has atleast one white-knight that, for no apparent reason at all, likes to shoot down any criticism or negative observation about the current state of the game. It's very interesting to observe this sort of behaviour extend from what's more well known to be blind patriotism and make its way to video game fanboyism.

Newsflash: This is a forum.

Perhaps some of you need to be reminded that means, so :

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum
"
3. an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

In this case the "public interest" is the common interest of the user base in PoE.

In other words, Anubite or whoever have every prerogative to go into every feedback thread and try to shoot down what they claim to be invalid criticism. If you or anyone has a complaint to post in a feedback thread, you should be prepared to prove your argument. If people can't examine claims, how can we distinguish the feedback that is good and constructive and feedback that isn't worth the keyboard it was typed on? Forums can't work if you ban dissenting opinions.

White knighting is not a problem because people try to refute criticisms against a thing; white knighting only becomes a problem when the person defending a game or a thing uses arguments they know to be bad in order to defend the game.
"
braheem wrote:

I like all the ad-hominem. Not that I should expect any better, but it seems to be the only way to discredit my opinion.

Call me a white knight all you guys want, I don't mind. I try to present GGG's opinion mixed with my own, because they don't post anymore on these forums. I've had more than enough heated discussions with Qarl, so much so that I don't really feel all that enthusiastic about leaving any more feedback for him. But that's neither here nor there--

The point is that botting and RMT is all hullabaloo. There's no mincing that. I've never once claimed it doesn't exist, thanks, I'm just telling you it's overblown by people who don't fully understand this games' recipe mechanics or want to take out their furstration on the game for whatever reason, it's not like they can actually prove botters and RMTers exist in the numbers they claim.

If botting were a huge issue, if it were easy and safe and what not, I'd be doing it myself. I mean, I played EVE, where botting is basically encouraged. I botted in that game. When I was younger, I botted in cheap lame korean MMOs, because hey, it was easy and safe with no repercussions. It's not the case here at all. So for what it's worth, I know from experience that botting isn't as nearly as a big as a problem. You can't just google a program and start running it, you're gonna lose your account and it's not going to be all that profitable.

PoE is harder than any modern online RPG I can think of, making successful bots is a challenge. RMT is also going to be hard because RMTers need to understand ALL the crazy mechanics of this game, from recipes to gems to the passive tree; it's especially hard to bot and farm as a RMTer on hardcore difficulties.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 26, 2014, 8:02:43 AM
"
anubite wrote:
"
braheem wrote:

I like all the ad-hominem. Not that I should expect any better, but it seems to be the only way to discredit my opinion.

Call me a white knight all you guys want, I don't mind. I try to present GGG's opinion mixed with my own, because they don't post anymore on these forums. I've had more than enough heated discussions with Qarl, so much so that I don't really feel all that enthusiastic about leaving any more feedback for him. But that's neither here nor there--

The point is that botting and RMT is all hullabaloo. There's no mincing that. I've never once claimed it doesn't exist, thanks, I'm just telling you it's overblown by people who don't fully understand this games' recipe mechanics or want to take out their furstration on the game for whatever reason, it's not like they can actually prove botters and RMTers exist in the numbers they claim.

If botting were a huge issue, if it were easy and safe and what not, I'd be doing it myself. I mean, I played EVE, where botting is basically encouraged. I botted in that game. When I was younger, I botted in cheap lame korean MMOs, because hey, it was easy and safe with no repercussions. It's not the case here at all. So for what it's worth, I know from experience that botting isn't as nearly as a big as a problem. You can't just google a program and start running it, you're gonna lose your account and it's not going to be all that profitable.

PoE is harder than any modern online RPG I can think of, making successful bots is a challenge. RMT is also going to be hard because RMTers need to understand ALL the crazy mechanics of this game, from recipes to gems to the passive tree; it's especially hard to bot and farm as a RMTer on hardcore difficulties.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. If you would play end-game content regular, you would see the immense, destructive nature of RMT around every step you take. Unfortunately you are a mere scrub having no character above level 80.

Right guys? Am I doing it right?
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Feb 26, 2014, 8:10:36 AM
"
Xarog wrote:
"
braheem wrote:

Newsflash: This is a forum.

Perhaps some of you need to be reminded that means, so :

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum
"
3. an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

In this case the "public interest" is the common interest of the user base in PoE.

In other words, Anubite or whoever have every prerogative to go into every feedback thread and try to shoot down what they claim to be invalid criticism. If you or anyone has a complaint to post in a feedback thread, you should be prepared to prove your argument. If people can't examine claims, how can we distinguish the feedback that is good and constructive and feedback that isn't worth the keyboard it was typed on? Forums can't work if you ban dissenting opinions.

White knighting is not a problem because people try to refute criticisms against a thing; white knighting only becomes a problem when the person defending a game or a thing uses arguments they know to be bad in order to defend the game.

no shit... noone called to ban anything.

This is a matter of semantics... The problem is I didn't make it obvious in the context of my post that i'm referring exactly to those who have bad arguments. The difference is that I think it's a problem whether or not the person is aware they have bad arguments... They may think their argument is valid and sound but it's still an issue if 1. their argument is not cogent, and 2. the reason they presented the argument in the first place was because of blind loyalty.

Now, let me present a definition for you..

White knight
"
On an internet forum, a person who defends a member who is clearly wrong, usually with the hopes of gaining brownie points with said member. Often seen as negative behavior.

This isn't an obvious definition but it suffices to say a white knight isn't exactly a good thing when someone is referred to as one on a forum.
Now, GGG is obviously the member in this definition. So the entire purpose of my post was to point out that there are many individuals going around and constantly attacking posts with criticisms.. but not by actually refuting the argument, no that's too much work and they have a quota to reach.
ugh, reading through threads like theses is like watching two hobos fighting over a slice of cheese.
"
anubite wrote:

This argument is unconvincing.

The primary difficulty of the game is based around item/build combinations. However it is not all that difficult to find a build which works in one area accounting for all reasonable eventualities and then farming that area over and over again. Many farming builds take advantage of this fact - if you look at the farming guides on the forums you'll see many of them specifically mention that their builds are only viable in a niche area, but the payoff is that the initial investment is really attractive to a poor player (hint: it helps if bots are easy to set up from scratch since they're essentially ticking timebombs wrt being banned). Someone planning to bot just has to pick one that suits their needs and then follow the step-by-step guide provided oh so unwittingly.

As for the hardcore problem, if I were going to set up an RMT company and botfarm, I would opt to find a good farming area in the earlier parts of the game and retire each character once its level got too high. I would then have a secondary bot program dedicated to levelling characters to that point along with the right skill builds so that the new characters could move in when the old ones retire. Maybe it wouldn't be optimal, but it would probably be reliable enough to farm currency, and that's pretty much what RMT is all about, no?
"
braheem wrote:
Now, let me present a definition for you..

White knight
"
On an internet forum, a person who defends a member who is clearly wrong, usually with the hopes of gaining brownie points with said member. Often seen as negative behavior.

Yeah, because you know, you have the absolute truth about that ...

Most of the arguments ( not to say all of them ) in those kind of situations have been refuted many times, and you are talking about being blind ?
funny.

@Xarog : "would do something" and "being capable of" are two different things. Of course there will be people finding ways to create automates at some point, that's inevitable.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info