Assorted tips to barter like a sir and other concerns about trading etiquette

Raising from the dead.
"
Odoakar wrote:
I actually feel differently about this matter, although I do try to be very polite during bartering.

If someone posts WTS, he WANTS to sell his item. I MIGHT want to buy it. It is his obligation as a seller to state a starting price (as it's customary in any auction or bartering). If I was to say WTB, and the same person let's me know he has the item available for sale, then it is my obligation to state how much I'm willing to offer, as I'm the one who first express the need for something.

So far I've found a lot of people announcing WTS, and then not stating their starting price, just so they have an upper hand in the exchange. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but when I have Trade chat open, I'm not looking for anything special, so if someone puts WTS something, I don't want to waste time bartering for something that is not so critical for me to have. I want to know his starting price so I can make an instant decision whether I should buy that or not. But if I say WTB, then I do expect that I will have to make the first offer.

This is...very logical.
"
innervation wrote:
"
Odoakar wrote:
I actually feel differently about this matter, although I do try to be very polite during bartering.

If someone posts WTS, he WANTS to sell his item. I MIGHT want to buy it. It is his obligation as a seller to state a starting price (as it's customary in any auction or bartering). If I was to say WTB, and the same person let's me know he has the item available for sale, then it is my obligation to state how much I'm willing to offer, as I'm the one who first express the need for something.

So far I've found a lot of people announcing WTS, and then not stating their starting price, just so they have an upper hand in the exchange. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but when I have Trade chat open, I'm not looking for anything special, so if someone puts WTS something, I don't want to waste time bartering for something that is not so critical for me to have. I want to know his starting price so I can make an instant decision whether I should buy that or not. But if I say WTB, then I do expect that I will have to make the first offer.

This is...very logical.

Indeed. I feel the simplest way to cut through the dilemma of which party is more reponsibile for initiating the negotiations is by putting the burden on the person who makes the approach or announcement.

Just imagine these scenarios:

Teenage dood: *knock knock* "Hey mister, I'm mowing lawns for money. Want yours done?"
Robe-wearing old man: Well, son, how much are you asking for the job?
Teenage dood: lol oldguy, offer!
Robe-wearing old man: *slams door*

Pink-tie salesman: Hello glorious firm, I can serve all your advertising needs!
Busy and balding Head of Marketing: We might be shopping for a contract, what are your terms?
Pink-tie salesman: Um no you offer.
Busy and balding Head of Marketing: !!SECURITY!!

If you want to sell, please provide a basic minimum asking price.

If you want to buy, please give a starting offer first.

Also, if enough people practice this, ambiguity will start to evaporate, slowly of course, but it will happen. I foresee a time when the haggling is minimal because everyone has a lot of civil and fruitful experience upon which to draw. Getting laughed at or ignored does not help build a solid market of knowledgeable traders.

Good thread, though! I always appreciate human courtesy. I like occasionally giving "tips" when trading, by which I mean that I may toss in some freebie scrolls or low-value orbs to the seller or buyer. Courtesy is good!

Thank you for the time you took to compose this, OP. *salutes*
/popcorn always, because people
Yes.

great post

IF GGG stickys this (maybe reworded if they want to edit) i will buy something from the microtransaction shop the minute i see the sticky.

Who is with me ??
Fantastic read friend. I enjoy your dry wit and sense of humour! The punctuation, spelling and grammar being correct are a rare sight indeed on Internet forums.

+1 from me good sir.
Garbage thread.

OP it is common practice for seller to list price.

Whenever I sell stuff I always list prices and I sell stuff pretty quickly and guess what?? I never have to deal with the "low ballers" that you cry so much about since I listed my prices.

If you have a price in mind why is it so hard to list it? Obviously you have a price in mind if your gonna tell people off for "low balling" you.

I lol'd at "keeping the c/o secret" sry you must be trolling on this? You really expect people to just bid into the wind blindly?

Basically your thread is 10 step on how to waste everyone's time and be BM seller. Is this a troll thread?

You can thank me for bumping your trash.
Most times i just give people stuff for free like a orb here and there im not into trading though to be honest dealing with the chat and all the people confuses me i just like going out to find stuff and yeah sharing is caring.... its just a game i don't loose anything and people get a genuine kick out of getting a free 8% quality lighting strike orb and as far as im concerned i wasn't using it and ill find another one eventually.

However if These tips were followed it would entice me to participate in the trading side of the game more...
"
Oatz wrote:
Garbage thread.

"
psytheleg wrote:
this thread is so stupid.

I think you both might have a reading comprehension problem since I support both your statements in OP.

And your language is truly, truly outrageous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20BZID081Vk
Last edited by dndallasta on Feb 28, 2013, 10:33:28 AM
"
dndallasta wrote:
"
Oatz wrote:
Garbage thread.

"
psytheleg wrote:
this thread is so stupid.

I think you both might have a reading comprehension problem since I support both your statements in OP.

And your language is truly, truly outrageous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20BZID081Vk

No you rly don't and what does that you-tube link have to do with anything?

Plz show me where you support any of my statements in your OP.

Nice troll nice troll /golfclap
Another thing, that annoys me, is people spamming trade chat with offers like "WTB Alterations, paying 1 Alchemy for 12".
Besides the fact that only Newbies dont know that you can trade your Alterations at the Act 3 merchant at a much better rate (for 8 alterations you can get a fusing which is about 1 alch), which makes it an obvious try to make a profit of new players that dont know the ratios yet, mostly the players offering these trades repeat themselves every few lines.
Even though you can argue about whether it is ok to try to make a living off trying to scam newbies (afterall this game is meant to be cutthroat), it is just really annoying if every 5th line you read in the trade chat is one of those offers.
In effect, this method of making a quick buch can easily get you on a lot of ignore lists because most players just want to use the trade chat to look out for actual trade opportunities and not be spammed with Newbie-trap-offers...

Maybe you could add a line about this kind of thing as well? Of course, everyone can try to scam people as much as he wants but doing it in such an excessive and obvious way just doesnt do yourself any good... ;)

Besides that: Great post, i vote for sticky! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info