Assorted tips to barter like a sir and other concerns about trading etiquette

Nice topic, i've been doing quite some trading yesterday and i've been called a noob a few times for (deliberately) over asking or under-bidding for items... I would've offered something more valuable, but i gave up when i got called a noob... Hey, he didn't post what he was asking for it, so he can hardly blame me for offering a alch for clarity ( ^^ )
Shoep - Default league Ranger
Peohs - Any other class or character i play.
Jhuvik - My Marauder
Merialeth - My witch
"
Shoep wrote:
Nice topic, i've been doing quite some trading yesterday and i've been called a noob a few times for (deliberately) over asking or under-bidding for items... I would've offered something more valuable, but i gave up when i got called a noob... Hey, he didn't post what he was asking for it, so he can hardly blame me for offering a alch for clarity ( ^^ )

And it's worth noting that things like this are exactly why a lot of people DO want to wait for the other person to offer first. It's not that they want to waste your time or anything, it's just that they don't want to either get ripped off by offering too much or be insulted or just ignored for offering too little. Keep in mind that especially when people are just starting out, there is really no way for them to know what something IS worth.
"
Shoep wrote:

This is a perfect example of what this thread is directed at.

The seller could have just gone "min offer chaos" or something in his ad, but he didn't. He could've just told you when asked "a chaos", but he didn't. So much time lost only to end up being rude to some other dude that just wanted to buy something.

Also, this is a nice segway into a disclaimer that might be confusing yet valid: lowballing and other nasty tricks can be fine. Again, there's a strategic component to deliberately dragging out an exchange or preying on how badly a buyer wants something sometimes. But if you already know how it's going to end up regardless of what the other person says, just save us all some time!
Good post, hero! I traded a chaos orb in return for a summon skeleton gem today. Supply and demand. Items are worth what people deem they're worth.
When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.
Last edited by _Linus_ on Jan 28, 2013, 1:58:03 AM
"
Hodari wrote:
It's not that they want to waste your time or anything, it's just that they don't want to either get ripped off by offering too much or be insulted or just ignored for offering too little.

Sometimes.

If you lowball me, worst case scenario, I don't reply back. You can always try and up your offer. Usual response to not replying? "LOL u sellin or no answr". Best case scenario, I realize you're new and have no clue what items are valuable and, if I'm in a good mood, I might try and offer some polite advice.

If you don't wanna get ripped off, you should research general market value for your benefit instead of forcing me to hold your hand through a trade which, after all, it's supposed to benefit me as well.

There's a big difference between trying to outsmart your partner in barter and being a greedy, lazy, negligent, rude poopoo face all at once.
Actually, re: the person who was buying Clarity, it tends to vary in worth between an alch and a chaos depending on buyer. I personally sell it for an alch only as it is a quest reward anybody can get hold of.

I've never lowballed to get what I want. I mostly tend to make fair offers, and never try to rip ppl off. But its also really funny to watch folks try to sell worthless rares for a chaos or two apiece ( the funniest I saw was somebody trying to sell a rusted hatchet for 2 chaos orbs.)

Problem isn't with fair offers or deals etc., the problem is that most new traders do not know what their goods are worth. simple as that. Then they ask for outrageous offers, get laughed at by half of trade chat, and told to try harder.

Oh and BTW - trading is something you learn by doing on Wraeclast. I've had to learn a lot of things myself about how trading worked while I was in the closed beta period, to which point I've managed to garner some 200+ gcp in orbs by the end of CB, despite not ripping people off, and this also included a mirror somebody sold me for cheap since it was the end of CB anyway.

"

If you don't wanna get ripped off, you should research general market value for your benefit instead of forcing me to hold your hand through a trade which, after all, it's supposed to benefit me as well.

There's a big difference between trying to outsmart your partner in barter and being a greedy, lazy, negligent, rude poopoo face all at once.

If I could sum up all my thoughts about trading as is right now - these would honestly be it. Appreciate the time you took to write up this bru, hope it helps the newbies out more.

Regards from Wraeclast.
1337 21gn17ur3
"

Oh and BTW - trading is something you learn by doing

Edited OP. You get 20 points.
Last edited by dndallasta on Jan 28, 2013, 2:24:48 AM
I think they should remove trading, BOA everything..

just remember what D2 became (there was no currency neither- since gold was worthless).. and just imagine the bots that are coming
We'll see. The way currency works here, we might have a shot at botters not meddling too badly.

BoA everything sounds pretty insane and brutally kills player interaction and group play.

Again, though, this isn't about Economics and specific financial mechanics, but rather player interaction at a more base level. So, let's please not derail it.

I think this is a bump, btw.

Last edited by dndallasta on Jan 28, 2013, 2:33:24 AM
Very nice, bump.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info