Assorted tips to barter like a sir and other concerns about trading etiquette

"
Plz show me where you support any of my statements in your OP.

knp

"
Oatz wrote:
If you have a price in mind why is it so hard to list it?

"
dndallasta wrote:
If you have an idea of what you're willing to pay for an item, just offer somewhere in that vicinity. There's no point in replying an ad with "how much" just so the other person can go "offer" and you actually offer what you always knew beforehand

"
dndallasta wrote:
Simultaneously, if you're the seller and absolutely won't go below certain value, just name your price when asked.

"
Oatz wrote:
[...] gonna tell people off for "low balling" you.

"
Oatz wrote:
[...] the "low ballers" that you cry so much about

Not even close, since I didn't 'cry' or advised to tell people off if they were lowballing. I'm actually somewhat understanding of why that happens:

"
dndallasta wrote:
[...] an extreme lowball might just be a new player learning the ropes.

My only other mention of lowballs in OP:
"
dndallasta wrote:
Chances are you're going to get a lowball if you ask for an offer anyway.

Here's a hint for the video joke. Read my post and then listen to the lyrics. Repeat as necessary.

Sigh.
Sometimes, I worry about these kids' education.
Last edited by dndallasta on Feb 28, 2013, 1:41:56 PM
"
malvar wrote:
/scamsnip

Yeah, I'm with ya on that.

The problem is that scamming is a different topic altogether. Moral ambiguity isn't really related to good manners. You can still scam like a sir, right?

Besides, there's always a chance that those people you saw spamming were legitimately unaware of the vendors and their rates.
Last edited by dndallasta on Feb 28, 2013, 1:42:23 PM
Apparently the commonly accepted concept like "don't be a dick" as mentioned in OP is long lost on a lot of people.

Excellent thread. Common courtesies and politeness is so very lacking in this day and age.
IGN- Vyvanne | Voxxvi (Tempest League)
Vyvanne's Odds and Bods Boutique - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1311497
Very nice post indeed.

Its like treat others as you want others to treat you.
bumping for great justice.
Deutscher Chat: /global 4745
Threads good. Manners would do wonders.

+1 to OP.

Add on, that it is OK to walk away from a deal because you don't like it, and be polite about it. A no thanks I am trying to get more, will make the world a better place.
Well done OP.

Now we gotta get everyone who plays POE to read this thread.

Sticky pls!
IGN: Amynna/Renadria
This sort of game where people need to be reasonable and use their words to trade and barter is very new to a lot of people. So many fail miserably because they can't communicate without being derps or douchebags. That said I Have made plenty of trades with civil people that have learned that being nice pays off.

Good thread TS and one that many should read. There is no pay to win here folks so it is in your best interest in the long run to be nice because if you end up on a lot of peoples ignore lists you will never sell anything.
I'm not big into trading on here. I like pricetags and don't much care if they're higher than they should be. When I see something I want, I get it and only later see it at half-price in another shop. That's just the sort of guy I am.

So let me say that now I'm looking into it, your checklist is magnificent, dndallasta. A lot of really good advice.

I'd love to sticky it, and I'll discuss it with the other mods, but I have a few reservations.

Firstly, as with most of the great stickies here, it'd probably not be read by the people who should read it.

More importantly, when we sticky something, we're basically saying 'these are the rules' and while you give lots of great advice, they're not the rules. We can't really enforce these.

If they were to be stickied, it'd have to be under the proviso that they're just helpful suggestions for trade conduct from the community. And again I'm not sure that currently matches our demands for a sticky-worthy thread. FAQs, resources, in-depth guides about the mechanics...these get stickied for their objective functionality.

What you've created remains ultimately subjective.

I think it'll get plenty of bumpage in and of itself.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
psytheleg wrote:
this thread is so stupid.
you get a stupid person wanting to sell something with no price.
and another stupid person wanting to buy something with no offer.
and now you can see what happens when 2 stupid ppl collide.

what so hard about giving a price when people ask how much?
what so hard about offering a price when you want to purchase something?

don't know the price of the item? don't sell/buy it then.

truth here

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info