Assorted tips to barter like a sir and other concerns about trading etiquette

I believe this is what in Japan is called a 'ninja bump'.
We cannot lose to a thread asking for a Duelist build, bros.

PS: This isn't a bump.

jk it is.
How the heck does someone research market value when there's no universal currency and (most) loot is procedurally generated? I'd imagine the onus should be in the seller to indicate what sort of thing he wants for the item he's selling, doubly so if it's a barter and not a trade for one of the numerous forms of currency.
Or maybe the duty is on the buyer to indicate what sort of payment he'd be comfortable with for the item he's buying.

Never-ending argument. Seller and buyer are PB & jelly. Both are greedy turds. Both have something to offer. Responsibility is equal.

Regardless of roles, if you already know what you want/can/will pay/charge for something, just let it be known beforehand to save the freaking ritual of howmuchofferalchroflnobyenub.

Market value gets more philosophical, but since this isn't absolute free barter (see vendors), some trades just get standardized. A lot of people will charge or pay an alch for most quest rewards and a chaos if it's in high demand and be okay with that. Most people will pay a gcp for Chain these days and so forth. It's not fixed and extremely volatile (see end of CB vs beginning of OB), sure, but it's an instance that gets repeated enough so that it's a reference.

High end loot is a different animal. Obviously, the less likely you're to find an upgrade, the more liberal you'll be with your wealth when bidding.

But again, Economics. Not the purpose of this thread.
Last edited by dndallasta on Jan 28, 2013, 3:48:34 AM
Keeping the road bumpy.

inb4 mod warning. nopls. I'm doing it for the kids!
This is me in trade chat:

Scenario 1:

Dude: WTS ...
Me: How much you want for it?
Dude: Offer?
Me: Nvm, bye.

Scenario 2:

Dude: (Overprices it hardcore) You got any blessed orbs?
Me: No, what about... [negotiations start]

To be honest, if you want to sell me something, don't come at me like you're trying to sell it over the phone waiting for the metro monday morning during rush hour. If you do that, I'll find your item elsewhere.

And this is not because of having to come up with an offer. If I had an offer for your item, I would've PMed it to you immediately.

It's as much the seller as the buyer who needs to have common courtesy.
Something that might have been said already, not sure about it anymore:

It's the choice of the seller how much he wants. If you bid an alch, and he thinks that's too low, it's his choice. Even if you saw 10 people buying the same gem for one alch, if this guy wants more, it's his right to demand that.

Also, if I want a kind of orb, for example chaos orbs, you can offer as many alchs, fusings and so on as you want, I will always prefer chaos, and even if somebody offers me slightly less in chaos than somebody else in alchs, I'll take the chaos. This is also my right to do.

I get some quite angry responses for doing this sometimes ("it's only worth an alch, noob" or "my offer is worth more, y don't I get it"), and this is simply due to my preferences. Since it's my item I'm selling, it's completely irrelevant what you think I have to sell it for, I can sell it for whatever I want.

oh and btw, bump, like the thread.
Since I hate haggling I usually ask the seller for the price. If it's acceptable then ok, else goodbye. I also try to write down the price for the stuff I link in trade, so people already know what to expect.

I haven't yet encountered insulting people, maybe because in HC league there are less as****es than in default.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Chrjs wrote:
Spoiler
This is me in trade chat:

Scenario 1:

Dude: Offer?
Me: Nvm, bye.

Scenario 2:

Dude: (Overprices it hardcore) You got any blessed orbs?
Me: No, what about... [negotiations start]

To be honest, if you want to sell me something, don't come at me like you're trying to sell it over the phone waiting for the metro monday morning during rush hour. If you do that, I'll find your item elsewhere.

And this is not because of having to come up with an offer. If I had an offer for your item, I would've PMed it to you immediately.

It's as much the seller as the buyer who needs to have common courtesy.

One of these scenarios is better than the others.

I agree with the buyer and seller comment (see my immediate previous post). This isn't a seller vs buyer thing in case someone got that idea. I'm addressing both sides on the alphabet list.

Scenario 1 Redux
dude: WTS..
you: how much *
dude: offer? **
you: what about.... [negotiations start]

* can be killed if dude just specified in ad what he's interested in/rates/minimum
** can be killed if you ballpark an initial offer instead of asking how much

^ That's about 90% of how trades go, btw.

I don't really see why you would reply to a completely over-the-top asking price but yet refuse to reply to the traditional 'offer?'. It makes absolutely no sense to me. You can use the new player argument not knowing values and that's fine, but not pertaining to this thread (at least not too much).

Regardless, rush or no rush, people like to a) be assholes when trading, b) do silly rituals that are fluff before actually getting down to business. Both serve no purpose other than emotional masturbation. Let's think about losing both traits, bros.
Last edited by dndallasta on Jan 28, 2013, 4:39:32 AM
I agree in theory, but honestly I have no idea what stuff is worth. I played this game for some beta event months and months and then just started again when open beta began. At this point I really don't have an idea of how rare certain orbs are or anything. Some things seem rare to me now, but I'm barely into act 3 normal. Stuff I think is super cool now may actually be worth pennies and I just don't know it yet.

It's pretty much impossible to have any idea what to offer/ask for when you don't have a really solid knowledge of things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info