Massive rubberbanding

I think that a lot of players have the same experience.

But there are different ways to handle it.

i have stopped playing. But i would like to hear ggg

a) name this as an issue
b) giving an official statement to it on the starting webpage.

Until this happens support from ggg is just like any other company and all the fanboys are wrong.

Imho there are only two possible resons why this didn't happened:

a) ggg or their hosting provider are still not able to track the issue and fix it (maybe server load).

b) "you get what you paid for" on ggg's side for the servers

I personally believe that reason a) is not the case because ggg had in the past other issues which are clearly named and explained to the player base.

But this is all just my opinion.
porgey: GGG are fully aware of desync (rubberbanding). In fact, a while ago, Chris wrote a huge article on it. I'd recommend you take a read of it for yourself. Maybe it will help clear some stuff up for you.

It has nothing to do with the server hardware, or network conditions. It's a result of predictive algorithms and simulations.
"
Drakier wrote:
porgey: GGG are fully aware of desync (rubberbanding). In fact, a while ago, Chris wrote a huge article on it. I'd recommend you take a read of it for yourself. Maybe it will help clear some stuff up for you.

It has nothing to do with the server hardware, or network conditions. It's a result of predictive algorithms and simulations.

Yes, and that was posted on August 24, 2013.

If memory serves correct I thought they implemented fixes for this issue around Christmas time?

This issue is game-breaking for some of us, in particular the melee builds. Due to the nature of Spectral Throw the issue doesn't 'seem' to occur, but Cyclone is horrendous.

I don't understand how cyclone can activate and move to an area I never even clicked on in the first place.

"
Yes, and that was posted on August 24, 2013.

If memory serves correct I thought they implemented fixes for this issue around Christmas time?

This issue is game-breaking for some of us, in particular the melee builds. Due to the nature of Spectral Throw the issue doesn't 'seem' to occur, but Cyclone is horrendous.

I don't understand how cyclone can activate and move to an area I never even clicked on in the first place.

Yes.. changes are constantly being done in an attempt to minimize the problem and reduce how often it occurs. In most cases, this is more related to the "resync" code that was added to detect desync automatically and correct for it (teleporting). Teleporting didn't used to happen because they never re-synced unless you typed /oos. Now however, you can be auto-resynced and teleport because of it.

Desync is mainly related to movement effects. As you said, it doesn't really affect spectral throw or ranged abilities very often because those don't force your character to actually move somewhere.

Cyclone is one of the worst because it DOES make your character move, and often times poorly. Multi-strike is also really bad due to the nature of jumping around the screen randomly. I've heard people say that the Cyclone doesn't desync nearly as bad if you shift+click the ability and only press it once until the cyclone is over. Then you shift+click again to get a new cyclone. I haven't personally tested it, but it sounds plausible based on the types of actions that cause desync to occur in the first place.

Cyclone moves a little randomly because it does some odd calculations based on the vector of your attack. When you press to use cyclone, it calculates a vector of travel (like a physics vector) based on a whole bunch of different factors.. including movement speed, attack speed, etc. It then moves your character along that vector. I think somewhere along the lines, people are either multi-clicking, or doing other weird things which cause the server calculations and client calculations to become confused and more easily cause desync.

Feel free to do more testing and find out if you'd like which methods of using Cyclone work, and which don't (which cause more desync than others). It should be fairly repeatable.

Good luck.
/oos ing alot at the moment. its really annoying. Will paste tracert if the problem persosts tomorrow.
Last edited by hcl on Feb 13, 2014, 10:25:57 PM
"
hcl wrote:
/oos ing alot at the moment. its really annoying. Will paste tracert if the problem persosts tomorrow.

Edit: seems OK atm.

I hold shift with Spectral Throw normally, but tonight have also been using shift with cyclone, doesn't help much that I can tell.
Last edited by Jack_Wheelbarrow on Feb 13, 2014, 11:38:41 PM
This is a long standing issue that I find much worse with some builds more than others. There are fun builds that I no longer play because of desynch issues. I'm not sure that we are ever going to see this fixed though. I can only assume that GGG does not appreciate the magnitude of the problem. I suggest that you do what I do and avoid builds that suffer the worst from these desync problems.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
This happens roughly 3 times per minute and i've died 4 times today because of it. This is ridiculous.

Fix it, or stop penalizing experience until you have a viable solution.
4 more times today. i'll be updating this regularly.
And what's with the all the disconnects lately?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info