Confused about why some bug abuse are acceptable and other not

"
Dellusions wrote:
"
SamBaLam wrote:
I don't see how it's not a bad thing that players are easily being rushed to level 100 and so now..something that should be incredibly hard. It's basically cheating. It's bug abuse.

Thought it'd be more concern for GGG..guess you guys are more worried about new portal effects & what not. :/

Spoiler
Not trying to make a knock here. I know GGG are busy, and have a lot on their plate. But it's to much on their plate and that's why I believe the game never should have been released yet.

First off, that was a completely different bug. Adding 30-70% damage is completely different then adding 340% damage to a minion. Second off, there is more than 1 person working at GGG, and if you want the guy who designs graphics to start working on fixing the code, then we will all have no game left to play. Imagine if you work as a gas station attendant to pump gas, and then some customer comes in and complains that you couldn't fix his cars transmission problem. You're being that customer right now.

Lastly, those "portal effects and whatnot" take almost no development time. In fact I've heard it loosely said that making the 3D art for one weapon would take up the time of a dozen micros or more. Without those micros, they have no other income to pay the guy who writes the code to fix the bugs; Got it?

"why some bug abuse are acceptable and other not"

Did you even read the title here? I understand you made it a point of emphasis to even private message me about this, so that I saw your post since I made such an "idiotic remark" however you should re-think that. I posted about a bug, seeing how the thread is called why SOME abuse are acceptable and OTHERS NOT, so I was bringing up snapshotting and why that one hasn't been fixed. I sarcastically added that line about the portals or whatever, which obviously was exaggerated, and pure sarcasm.

I'm sorry you didn't notice that, but feel free to send me another PM if you like. Or rather, please don't.

"Imagine if you work as a gas station attendant to pump gas, and then some customer comes in and complains that you couldn't fix his cars transmission problem. You're being that customer right now."

Btw, I fucking ROFL'D at this. That is the worst analogy I've fucking read because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I wrote. God I love it.

Got it? GOT IT? k
"
"
Xavderion wrote:
I can live with super-clunky mechanics like snapshotting IF I know that it's working as intended and won't change anytime soon. As it is now, whenever I think about making a summoner, I always think 'but what if they remove snapshotting? will my char become trash?' and it's bugging me. Would really be good to know what the plans regarding all this are.

I have a summoner at level 84 that has never once used snapshotting of any kind, not even something as simple as Sidhebreath. While she has never been what might be considered "zomfg op", I have run up to level 73 maps with her with almost any combination of mods, and almost no problems. I only stopped at 73 because, yeah...RNG decided I needed to progress no further. ;)

Yeah I know, I could make a summoner without snapshotting in mind, but I like to utilize what's possible if it makes my char considerably stronger. If snapshotting is here to stay and I'm not using it, I'm kinda gimping myself. If it's gonna get fixed and I'm using it, my char is probably screwed unless I change him a lot. This uncertainty is the problem.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
Yeah I know, I could make a summoner without snapshotting in mind, but I like to utilize what's possible if it makes my char considerably stronger. If snapshotting is here to stay and I'm not using it, I'm kinda gimping myself. If it's gonna get fixed and I'm using it, my char is probably screwed unless I change him a lot. This uncertainty is the problem.

I definitely agree with you there, and was more pointing out that so long as nothing drastically shifted upon the removal of snapshotting that even nerfed non-shapshots into the ground, it's perfectly viable. With the way things have been worded, I honestly feel like it's only a matter of time before snapshotting is removed. When is the obvious question that we have no real answer to. That's why I just avoided it to begin with. Hell, no one wants summoners in their party anyway, so it's not like I had to worry about being OP enough to carry a bad map group. ;)
"
SamBaLam wrote:
"
Dellusions wrote:
"
SamBaLam wrote:
I don't see how it's not a bad thing that players are easily being rushed to level 100 and so now..something that should be incredibly hard. It's basically cheating. It's bug abuse.

Thought it'd be more concern for GGG..guess you guys are more worried about new portal effects & what not. :/

Spoiler
Not trying to make a knock here. I know GGG are busy, and have a lot on their plate. But it's to much on their plate and that's why I believe the game never should have been released yet.

First off, that was a completely different bug. Adding 30-70% damage is completely different then adding 340% damage to a minion. Second off, there is more than 1 person working at GGG, and if you want the guy who designs graphics to start working on fixing the code, then we will all have no game left to play. Imagine if you work as a gas station attendant to pump gas, and then some customer comes in and complains that you couldn't fix his cars transmission problem. You're being that customer right now.

Lastly, those "portal effects and whatnot" take almost no development time. In fact I've heard it loosely said that making the 3D art for one weapon would take up the time of a dozen micros or more. Without those micros, they have no other income to pay the guy who writes the code to fix the bugs; Got it?

"why some bug abuse are acceptable and other not"

Did you even read the title here? I understand you made it a point of emphasis to even private message me about this, so that I saw your post since I made such an "idiotic remark" however you should re-think that. I posted about a bug, seeing how the thread is called why SOME abuse are acceptable and OTHERS NOT, so I was bringing up snapshotting and why that one hasn't been fixed. I sarcastically added that line about the portals or whatever, which obviously was exaggerated, and pure sarcasm.

I'm sorry you didn't notice that, but feel free to send me another PM if you like. Or rather, please don't.

"Imagine if you work as a gas station attendant to pump gas, and then some customer comes in and complains that you couldn't fix his cars transmission problem. You're being that customer right now."

Btw, I fucking ROFL'D at this. That is the worst analogy I've fucking read because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I wrote. God I love it.

Got it? GOT IT? k

While it may not be the best analogy, it's definitely a fitting one.

Please kids, don't be like this guy.
"%^#*##*%$#&^&(&(%$^*&" - Flameblast 1.0.4
My view on this:

"
well to be honest removing snapshot would be rather illogical. (not that we can have too much logic in magic)

but still when you are creating a zombie the resources matter at that particular point. Later the zombie is independent of you, so it shouldn't matter even if you get better resources.

its like you make a vase out of clay, then you purchase better quality clay later. That doesn't mean that your vase becomes automatically better.

resources of summoning are not some sort of auras that should constantly change the summoned creature when they change.

the only reason it might seem unfair when you compare a summoner with other characters. but since usually they don't create something for long term of course they don't benefit from this.

/end of metaphysical rant
"
Rhys wrote:
"
9_6 wrote:
killing all of your supported summons whenever you remove on of their support gems?

Mark is better equipped to answer this, but I'm believe it's a lot more complicated than it seems at first glance. For example, minions work differently in town (they aren't there, kinda). And there are also traps, mines, totems to consider. It's a real headache and it requires a massive refactor of the skill system, or so I hear.

I'm sure no one would complain if touching anything that modifies a skill gets treated like touching the skill gem itself and cancels all instances of it.
"Snapshotting" is not far behind summoning your zombies and then still having that zombie army around after unequipping the zombie gem or having an aura still active long after its gem has been removed.
Things you found ways of preventing from happening right now, ways so basic you surely planned for them on the drawing board already.

Also I can't speak for the technical side of it but I find it hard to believe that there is a massive fractal of consequences attached to this and it seems to me this is more of an ideological discussion.
Last edited by 9_6 on Jan 31, 2014, 5:28:18 AM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Mmm I though that with all the Buff Summons were getting with last patch, that GGG would have Fixed snapshotting.

I remember finding a bug where you could shot arrows and swap to unarmed to get the Facebreaker buff before it hits. I told GGG and they quickly fixed it.

What is the difference between that case and snapshotting? why is one considered must-fix bug and the other an acceptable abuse.

Why are some bug more moraly and "legaly" acceptable

Never ever did GGG ban a user for exploiting a bug,
so I don't really why you are questioning morals or legality.
They always took it as a problem on their end, which is only fair.

Well, the other stuff was pointed out by Rhys already. If I was about to make a summoner, I'd play them without snapshotting and if they really are suffering from bad balancing (needs much evaluation) one could address it then by actual experience.
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Mmm I though that with all the Buff Summons were getting with last patch, that GGG would have Fixed snapshotting.

I remember finding a bug where you could shot arrows and swap to unarmed to get the Facebreaker buff before it hits. I told GGG and they quickly fixed it.

What is the difference between that case and snapshotting? why is one considered must-fix bug and the other an acceptable abuse.

Well, the other stuff was pointed out by Rhys already. If I was about to make a summoner, I'd play them without snapshotting and if they really are suffering from bad balancing (needs much evaluation) one could address it then by actual experience.

They can't balance summoners around no snapshotting while snapshotting is still possible.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
mazul wrote:
They can't balance summoners around no snapshotting while snapshotting is still possible.

I read other statements, actual experiences, in here.
"
mazul wrote:
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:

I dunno, zombies with life leech and life regen minion passives sure made them much more powerful. I'm assuming GGG is working on buffing the zombies to pull people away from snapshotting before they finally drop the axe.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info