What builds are actually better off not starting from the Scion?

"
Invalesco wrote:
"
Porterhouse wrote:
Life/EB/dagger/crit/flicker strike

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGjBUmVcoKrVIsbNtbG177UFTNVVLpn-btYw2JpWH2yLqwzoWv2HinZbo1lYt8-orb5smrH9wUsBRGL2jijIBcNXjhLJEBfmyGQ5IFfDPeqc0naoRlvljOljnVGKsf8ado1bqveYa2wR-JP3VANadJ6l-WcHF_KsFfen-7g6HGVptrGaIQrl8I_ZW-iQ82HaQG4Ie7_D8xadcLOFwVtsLWkhnoLcX3Q1JUY6KmhOHdlz5OJZbr9vUSn2A4dDuTiriXvejKaW2QWJ5WhoV9gAG

I triple dog dare you to optimize it or make it better as a scion....if you CAN...

Your build is marginally better off as a shadow for 1 main reason:

1. You've built up only 216% incr. life, and the life nodes were all along the way to your DPS nodes - which were all at the ranger/duelist area.

However, no intention to critic, 216% incr. life is a little on the low side for a dual-wielding character who doesn't have a shield to boost HP and block chance. Your HP limit is around 4.9k and you'll need great gear to get above 4.6k. I reckon you should be at around 4.2-4.3k HP.

If you look at your tree, you are pretty much at the extreme limit of your %incr. life. If you decided later on that you needed more life and wanted to aim for 250% or so, you'd likely find yourself having been better off as a scion instead.

got it up to 258 give this one a whack and show me a better scion. I think its hard to do because attack speed is the escape for scion and its kinda meh for flicker strike compared to raw damage. i get what your tryin to say but i think shadows have their niche in the dagger/crit realm and seem pretty solid with a good bunch of life nodes around them. i think scion competes more when you try to run all three hatred/disc/grace with aura nodes and IR.

the spell damage/mana escapes from scion are pretty nice so i think your life based caster point is probably pretty valid.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGjBUmVcoKrVIsbNte-1BVUumf4w2JpWH2xa_YeLz6ud0cFLAUTY93vZw1eOEpcvo1g5IIuqbJhGWpzSdqp2Wo4oyAZ2jVup_xmKsK28F-bIZ_KsFfen-HNzBxSepflnWnRi9FfDPel76uXyTJ4hCWm2sZrJE-WM6WOdUj_rcV5Abgh4kPNh2veYa2wR-JP3VAEk7HpRwVtsLp1ws4e4Ohxk2e6w_mhNJUY6KVvoj9rSj29T8xe_w3Q1noLcXWkhbr4d2XPk4ltDuSn2A4fej4l5ieRX2AAY=
Imo, EB + MoM is superior to Hybrid Life/Es, because your ehp is more or less the same as a hybrid, but you get the added benefit of crazy regen, can run AA, and chaos hits will not bypass your mana shield (although degen including chaos will bypass both anyways).

But supposing you wanted to make a hybrid, I tried and couldn't find a better way to make a hybrid scion better than a hybrid witch, because regardless of the proximity of the scion to the circle of life, the witch is closer to both es and life nodes while picking up crit.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBBUIHYwj0DkgPxBEvEZYWvxdUGdUa2yKBI_YkPCepKaUsnC0fL28xiDIBMww7fD7PQZZEq0lRSn1Ms04qUDBRR1WuVvpXK1pIWm1apluvXfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egbRlwUnC7cNVzU3kDf8aCEId2h9uIQot6jX2Nv448j6aZmpsmnaOdqqKjpyunXKp_qrius7IZtve4yr3mwFHAVMHFwfPPetad2RPbXtzH3Q3e9t-w44TndOjW6xTrY-vk7g7v8PId8-r5Y_yr_MX-K__e

Here's a 102 pt theorycraft of a witch that uses fp as the main skill and scales it with crit chance and multi.

Spoiler
Health
205% increased maximum Life
61% increased maximum Energy Shield
10% increased Energy Shield Cooldown Recovery
Mitigation
64% increased Evasion Rating
8% to all Elemental Resistances
4% increased Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge
Damage
160% increased Critical Strike Chance
160% increased Critical Strike Multiplier
115% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
44% increased Spell Damage
40% increased Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells
30% increased Cold Damage
20% increased Elemental Damage with Spells
4% increased Movement Speed
4% increased Physical Damage
3% increased Attack Speed
3% increased Spell Damage per Power Charge
3% increased Cast Speed
Other
190 to Intelligence
160 to Dexterity
80% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
70 to Strength
48% increased maximum Mana
26% increased effect of Auras you Cast
20 to maximum Mana
5% reduced Mana Reserved
2 Maximum Power Charge
1 Maximum Frenzy Charge

It is untested, especially with the mana costs that I did not calculate, so take this with a grain of salt.

That said, you can make the argument that an EB + MoM scion is better regardless, which I concede, but my argument is that the hybrid witch is better than the hybrid scion, if a hybrid is what you are going for.

Here's the scion version.:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGcOSA_EES8RlhUgF1QZ1RrbHNwigSP2JDwnqSmlKk0snCzpLR8tqC9vMww1kjrhO3w-zz8nRKtGcUlRSn1KyEyzTeNOKlAwUUdVrlb6WkhaUlptWqZbr13yYqxjQ2egbRluqnBScLtw1X_GgwmHdohCiGuI8Y19jjyPppMnm12do52qoqOmV6dcqJqqf6q4rFmxkLQMtfK297fWuMq95sBRwcXB89ad2RPbWdzH3Q3jhOdj7g7v8PId8kXyl_lj_Kv8xf4K_iv-j__e

Spoiler
Health
235% increased maximum Life
21% increased maximum Energy Shield
Mitigation
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
18% increased Evasion Rating
18% to all Elemental Resistances
Damage
140% increased Critical Strike Chance
60% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
54% increased Spell Damage
26% increased Projectile Damage
10% increased Attack Speed
6% increased Movement Speed
6% increased Cast Speed
Other
180 to Intelligence
140 to Dexterity
70 to Strength
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
20 to maximum Mana
5% reduced Mana Reserved
2 Maximum Power Charge
1 Maximum Frenzy Charge

We have less es (but more life so it balances out), but less mana regen and less evasion rating. Scion has slightly more cast speed (and movement speed as a nifty bonus), but slightly less crit, so it's a relatively fair tradeoff. But we have to give up either some crit or life/es to gain mana or evasion. Mana regen and evasion on the tree aren't as important as life/es, because you can make up for it with good gear, which is why I chose to prioritize the latter over the former.

Provided you prioritize the crit chance and crit multi as the core of the build as a given that you must work around, the circle of life doesn't contribute much. The only benefit it gives as a scion is more comfort when leveling, because all the life is close by. In conclusion for certain builds it's just another 8% life node circle and there are already enough 8% nodes to get on the sidelines with the witch pathing.
Last edited by Seerah on Jan 26, 2014, 9:15:08 PM
My build so far:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAnEEBwSzBUIFfQ5IEZYUTRZvFr8ZhRo4GmwfAiQ8JKomlSepKU8snC0fLdI2xTbpOtg8BT1fQZZJUUyzTdhQMFBCUlNVS1WuVcZW6lcrWm1d8l8qYqxjQ2ZPbRlte3BScFZ_xoFJgW-CEIIegpuDOIV9iEKMNox2jmSPRpAbkFWXlZf0mhOdo52qna6ePKIAoi6nCKdcp4Sus7I4tUi2-sBRwcXB889l0NDWndgk2t3bC9te29TfsONq44TkIuvk7DjvfPAf8h3z6vem_Ks=

I've never liked starting at Scion since I feel that the starting nodes are pretty horrible...Perhaps you can try making a Scion version of this? (Guess the build)
Guild #YoloSwag <SWAG>
HSC: SwaglordYolomancerII
Time zone: GMT +8 (Hong Kong)
not sure if anyone mentioned it already, but summoner is still very much a witch territory. might be the only build to be most effecient as a witch nowadays, but nonetheless...
Hey Inva,

I am very keen to see what u are able to do with this hp/acro/block/crit dagger ranger as scion

items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
Last edited by missuse on Jan 27, 2014, 3:58:46 AM
"
Porterhouse wrote:

got it up to 258 give this one a whack and show me a better scion. I think its hard to do because attack speed is the escape for scion and its kinda meh for flicker strike compared to raw damage. i get what your tryin to say but i think shadows have their niche in the dagger/crit realm and seem pretty solid with a good bunch of life nodes around them. i think scion competes more when you try to run all three hatred/disc/grace with aura nodes and IR.

the spell damage/mana escapes from scion are pretty nice so i think your life based caster point is probably pretty valid.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGjBUmVcoKrVIsbNte-1BVUumf4w2JpWH2xa_YeLz6ud0cFLAUTY93vZw1eOEpcvo1g5IIuqbJhGWpzSdqp2Wo4oyAZ2jVup_xmKsK28F-bIZ_KsFfen-HNzBxSepflnWnRi9FfDPel76uXyTJ4hCWm2sZrJE-WM6WOdUj_rcV5Abgh4kPNh2veYa2wR-JP3VAEk7HpRwVtsLp1ws4e4Ohxk2e6w_mhNJUY6KVvoj9rSj29T8xe_w3Q1noLcXWkhbr4d2XPk4ltDuSn2A4fej4l5ieRX2AAY=

Here you go:

272% incr. max life. Higher attack speed, higher melee physical damage. Only difference is having 45% decreased critical strike chance. However, the critical strike chance is already high enough such that 45% likely will not make much of a difference, especially since your crit multi is only 80%. your dps will still be higher because of the higher base damage.

edit: here's another version with lower attack speed but much higher melee damage, as well as offering much more flexibility in terms of leveling/respeccing/gearing options due to the ready availability of resist nodes as well as hp nodes.

Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Last edited by Invalesco on Jan 27, 2014, 5:59:04 AM
"
Seerah wrote:
Imo, EB + MoM is superior to Hybrid Life/Es, because your ehp is more or less the same as a hybrid, but you get the added benefit of crazy regen, can run AA, and chaos hits will not bypass your mana shield (although degen including chaos will bypass both anyways).

But supposing you wanted to make a hybrid, I tried and couldn't find a better way to make a hybrid scion better than a hybrid witch, because regardless of the proximity of the scion to the circle of life, the witch is closer to both es and life nodes while picking up crit.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBBUIHYwj0DkgPxBEvEZYWvxdUGdUa2yKBI_YkPCepKaUsnC0fL28xiDIBMww7fD7PQZZEq0lRSn1Ms04qUDBRR1WuVvpXK1pIWm1apluvXfJfKmHiYqxjQ2egbRlwUnC7cNVzU3kDf8aCEId2h9uIQot6jX2Nv448j6aZmpsmnaOdqqKjpyunXKp_qrius7IZtve4yr3mwFHAVMHFwfPPetad2RPbXtzH3Q3e9t-w44TndOjW6xTrY-vk7g7v8PId8-r5Y_yr_MX-K__e

Here's a 102 pt theorycraft of a witch that uses fp as the main skill and scales it with crit chance and multi.

Spoiler
Health
205% increased maximum Life
61% increased maximum Energy Shield
Mitigation
64% increased Evasion Rating
8% to all Elemental Resistances
Damage
160% increased Critical Strike Chance
115% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
44% increased Spell Damage
4% increased Movement Speed
4% increased Physical Damage
3% increased Attack Speed
3% increased Spell Damage per Power Charge
3% increased Cast Speed
Other
190 to Intelligence
160 to Dexterity
80% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
70 to Strength
48% increased maximum Mana
20 to maximum Mana
5% reduced Mana Reserved
2 Maximum Power Charge
1 Maximum Frenzy Charge

It is untested, especially with the mana costs that I did not calculate, so take this with a grain of salt.

That said, you can make the argument that an EB + MoM scion is better regardless, which I concede, but my argument is that the hybrid witch is better than the hybrid scion, if a hybrid is what you are going for.

Here's the scion version.:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABCGcOSA_EES8RlhUgF1QZ1RrbHNwigSP2JDwnqSmlKk0snCzpLR8tqC9vMww1kjrhO3w-zz8nRKtGcUlRSn1KyEyzTeNOKlAwUUdVrlb6WkhaUlptWqZbr13yYqxjQ2egbRluqnBScLtw1X_GgwmHdohCiGuI8Y19jjyPppMnm12do52qoqOmV6dcqJqqf6q4rFmxkLQMtfK297fWuMq95sBRwcXB89ad2RPbWdzH3Q3jhOdj7g7v8PId8kXyl_lj_Kv8xf4K_iv-j__e

Spoiler
Health
235% increased maximum Life
21% increased maximum Energy Shield
Mitigation
24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
18% increased Evasion Rating
18% to all Elemental Resistances
Damage
140% increased Critical Strike Chance
60% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
54% increased Spell Damage
26% increased Projectile Damage
10% increased Attack Speed
6% increased Movement Speed
6% increased Cast Speed
Other
180 to Intelligence
140 to Dexterity
70 to Strength
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
20 to maximum Mana
5% reduced Mana Reserved
2 Maximum Power Charge
1 Maximum Frenzy Charge

We have less es (but more life so it balances out), but less mana regen and less evasion rating. Scion has slightly more cast speed (and movement speed as a nifty bonus), but slightly less crit, so it's a relatively fair tradeoff. But we have to give up either some crit or life/es to gain mana or evasion. Mana regen and evasion on the tree aren't as important as life/es, because you can make up for it with good gear, which is why I chose to prioritize the latter over the former.

Provided you prioritize the crit chance and crit multi as the core of the build as a given that you must work around, the circle of life doesn't contribute much. The only benefit it gives as a scion is more comfort when leveling, because all the life is close by. In conclusion for certain builds it's just another 8% life node circle and there are already enough 8% nodes to get on the sidelines with the witch pathing.

Agreed that with EB + MoM, Scion is better.

That's a very nice scion version. However, because your HP is only 205% incr. max life, it's probably not that worth it grabbing the circle of life.

Here's an example though of a scion version with higher base dps (cast speed + spell damage), 4% incr. life and only 2.2% decreased max ES. In terms of crit, you lose 25% crit chance but gain 30% crit multiplier, so this version is also arguably better for crit. I've also reduced the discrepancy in terms of mana and evasion.

Build of the Week 14
"
Xymordos wrote:
My build so far:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAnEEBwSzBUIFfQ5IEZYUTRZvFr8ZhRo4GmwfAiQ8JKomlSepKU8snC0fLdI2xTbpOtg8BT1fQZZJUUyzTdhQMFBCUlNVS1WuVcZW6lcrWm1d8l8qYqxjQ2ZPbRlte3BScFZ_xoFJgW-CEIIegpuDOIV9iEKMNox2jmSPRpAbkFWXlZf0mhOdo52qna6ePKIAoi6nCKdcp4Sus7I4tUi2-sBRwcXB889l0NDWndgk2t3bC9te29TfsONq44TkIuvk7DjvfPAf8h3z6vem_Ks=

I've never liked starting at Scion since I feel that the starting nodes are pretty horrible...Perhaps you can try making a Scion version of this? (Guess the build)

lol CoC cyclone discharger?

Nope, I can't make a scion version better than this - reason because the life is only 198%. Scion only really starts to outshine every other class north - east of her when the life required goes beyond 240%. Even at 210% it's still rather equal.
Build of the Week 14
"
missuse wrote:
Hey Inva,

I am very keen to see what u are able to do with this hp/acro/block/crit dagger ranger as scion

Heya missuse, I don't see any url there i'm afraid
Build of the Week 14
"
Invalesco wrote:
"
missuse wrote:
Hey Inva,

Heya missuse, I don't see any url there i'm afraid

Uh, sorry, typing on remote never ends up good in my case.

here's the build

I would appreciate if the scion tree could have at least 130 int, due to gear requirements that I can not just compensate with other gear. But even if less int... I am looking forward to see if I will be leveling a scion soon.
items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
Last edited by missuse on Jan 27, 2014, 4:02:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info