Are mods being overly strict now?

"
whitebunny83 wrote:

My point is that saying "retarded" is not what being an adult is about.

I was using it exactly like the word dumb and there is nothing adult or childish about that word. Its just an adjective that I was using to describe a non human being. Not a big deal IMO.

"
GGG doesn't want that word used on their forums.
It makes you look ignorant, and you should stop.

You calling someone ignorant that you don't agree with is far more offensive than what I did IMO. The word "ignorant" is just a cheap way to try to call someone stupid.

"
Is my point clear now ?

Your point was that adults don't use those words, and no I don't agree with you.

Standard Forever
I find it funny that people in this thread are making the claim that it is childish to use a term in a derogatory fashion.

However, they cannot see that it is also childish to demand to censor and control someone else's language under the banner of a subjective "right or wrong".

However, all that being said, at the end of the day GGG owns the game and forum, and can censor what they want, period.

There is no "freedom of speech" in a privately owned forum.

I remember the time before the galactic empire... but in all seriousness, this is internet and a certain type of language and directed hate is a part of it and its more fun that way. Because thats how ppl converse over internet and often in real life aswell. Why? Because its a type of slang but its not the words that are slang but the very scentence in itself.

So the effect is that mods dont understand this since them and the developers are atleast 40+ yrs and they act like the fucking grammar gestapo...

GGG is sitting on their high horses if they really believe that their forum is going to be a gentlemans book reading club with nobilities with cylinders discussing noble matters...can your pesky forum rules override law? Like free speech?...mexican stinky balls!!11!
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Bukariin wrote:
I mean, do you not understand "retarded" being a little off-color?

Or are you defending the use of the word as being completely non-offensive?

I don't think it should be looked at any worse than if I had said "That would be stupid".

Isn't this forum for adults?

The forums are for adults, which is why you should act like an adult while using them.
anything is everything
I wonder when it became the 'Adult' thing to swear, use crass language and insult people.

If you think that is 'adult' maybe you should try playing CoD with the other 'adults'.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
and they act like the fucking grammar gestapo...

Aaand there we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

</thread>
Last edited by Nightyb on Jan 25, 2014, 7:44:19 AM
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
I wonder when it became the 'Adult' thing to swear, use crass language and insult people.

If you think that is 'adult' maybe you should try playing CoD with the other 'adults'.

Adults don't swear?

Ok.
"
zachatta wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:

Adults don't swear?

Ok.

Nope. They don't drink alcohol, laugh, or fart either. Kiddie stuff.
Forum probation for calling someone a 'troll', so I lifetime banned myself from spending money on PoE.
"
nGio wrote:
"
zachatta wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:

Adults don't swear?

Ok.

Nope. They don't drink alcohol, laugh, or fart either. Kiddie stuff.

Thank god there is other "mature" adults here as well.

In all seriousness, the last time I heard people babbling about "maturity"/"mature language" was high school.
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
this is internet and a certain type of language and directed hate is a part of it and its more fun that way.

This strikes me as an immature and fairly sad view. The internet is a medium, nothing more, nothing less. You may say things on the net that you wouldn't have the guts to say in real life, but that's cowardice and has little to do with the internet.

"
So the effect is that mods dont understand this since them and the developers are atleast 40+ yrs and they act like the fucking grammar gestapo...

Yep, you're young, and painfully so.

"
GGG is sitting on their high horses if they really believe that their forum is going to be a gentlemans book reading club with nobilities with cylinders discussing noble matters...can your pesky forum rules override law? Like free speech?

You don't understand what Freedom of Speech is, how it applies, and where it applies. Again, another sad demonstration of the state of the American education system.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info