1.3 [Newbie Friendly] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
Can this build solo end game maps? I'm at level 68 now and can't even solo a white level 66 map. I must be in a party to do any maps and then I mostly play as a support role, with my curse and totem and letting the high DPS players carry me.

Most likely explanation: your gear sucks.

This build isn't a "support role", it's designed to kill the monsters. If you have to "support", it basically means your character is 100% useless for the party.

"

If the build can solo maps, can someone tell me what the DPS should be for HS and GS, and also appropriate amount of Armor and HP for a level 68 character?

As high as you can get...
There are no exact numbers that you have to fulfill, but I'd say with...

max resist
~8k DpS
~5k life
~5k armor

...you should be able to run most lower maps easily.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
@SpidaFly:

Your tree isn't bad, but it's not optimal for leveling. Once you get to Merciless, you start needing lots of defense. You have pretty much no armor nodes. You need some ASAP. There are 3 good ones at the beginning of the tree, and there are some great combo dmg/armor nodes next to Resolute technique. There's also a combo node next to Baptism by Light. Lastly, make your way to Steel Skin - especially since it connects to Master of the Arena, which is directly attached to some life nodes.

As for your gear, you need to get rid of the life gain on hit support for GS. You don't attack fast enough for them to be worth it anymore. Replace with Life Leech. It's especially important since you have no life leech on gear and only 2% from passive.

The leapslam combo in your shoes does pretty much nothing as well. Leapslam hits once, so you get almost no life from it, and increased duration does nothing as well, since LS depends on attack speed. Try putting CWDT+Enduring Cry+Decoy into these links.

I'd also recommend experimenting with Immortal Call. I used to run 7 Endurance charges and no IC because I thought I'd rather have constant damage reduction, but it's just not optimal after Act3 merciless. The damage is too spiky, and the relief that IC provides is worth it.

Lastly, I definitely think you should craft both your maul and your helmet. Jeweller orbs are pretty cheap, and you can convert your cheapie Aug/Alt orbs into Jeweller through the vendor. There's absolutely no reason why you should have less than 3 links on any piece of gear. Being able to link a real CWDT combo will go a long way towards your survivability.
I can't get this build to work well for me, here is my current gear, my DPS is terrible and I don't know why.

Spoiler

I only get 2k DPS on GS and 2.5k on HS, my LS is really bad too but I don't use it much except to escape.

I've seen other people use worse maces and do better damage so I don't know what's wrong. I have to use the jade amulet cause my dexterity is too low for faster attacks without it.

Here is my passive tree so far
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Feb 15, 2014, 1:43:40 PM
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
my DPS is terrible and I don't know why.

...your gems are not optimal.

Step 1:
Get a 5-6 Link.

Put in:
*Melee physical damage
*Added fire damage

Drop (if 5L):
*Faster attacks or Life Leech

"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:

Step 1:
Get a 5-6 Link.

Put in:
*Melee physical damage
*Added fire damage

Drop (if 5L):

Thanks, I will try this. I dropped both melee physical or added fire whenever I put in multistrike. Is multistrike bad on GS?
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
Is multistrike bad on GS?

No, of course not. Why should it be?
Hey OP,

Just want to say your build took me to where I am right now. Little background

8K HP
12K DPS
77% ALL RES
45% CHAOS RES
100IIR (220% CULL)
3000 Armour (immortal call is auto-activated, so no need for armour)

PASSIVE TREE - changed quite a lot

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLQ48D8wUIBiRGS4aVSSqJd8nCyftKaUxnjIJNZI26DbpOuFBP0ZpR35KfU3jTipQR1BQUeZUSVcNWGNYr1nzW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noGqTbEZuaXJscql07XYIeA1673uMfNmE2YTvhymHaod2iPGMz5AKkFWQbJHOmSuezZ_LplemZKcwp4SpbqmUq8WsWayqtC-18rZBud277b2BvqfAD8AaxtjJmNIh0k3Uj9Xt2WHdDeNq51LnY-8O8i_yRfPd9kj3vvrS_MX-Cv6P
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:

Step 1:
Get a 5-6 Link.

Put in:
*Melee physical damage
*Added fire damage

Drop (if 5L):

Thanks, I will try this. I dropped both melee physical or added fire whenever I put in multistrike. Is multistrike bad on GS?

IMO, the build guide should be changed, as Multistrike very quickly outclasses Faster Attacks in this build with the added benefit of auto-target. And you should not give up MPD or Added Fire for Faster Attacks in a Multistrike setup:

Heavy Strike (L17)
Life Leech (l17)
Faster Attacks (L17)
Multistrike (L12)
DPS: 7270

Heavy Strike (L17)
Life Leech (l17)
Melee Physical Damage (L17)
Added Fire Damage (L12)
DPS: 7693

Heavy Strike (L17)
Life Leech (l17)
Melee Physical Damage (L17)
Multistrike (L12)
DPS: 8023

I personally wouldn't give up Life Leech, but that's up to you, since you have a lot of it from the passive tree. But as you can see, Faster Attacks is a consistent DPS loser over pretty much any combination of Multistrike/MPD/Added Fire.

You should also be running Heavy Strike or something for some single target DPS. And throw some fusings at that 4 socket and some chroms on that 4L and RUN THEM. Also pick up on a Cast When Damage Taken gem on the cheap and attach it to Warlord's Mark and Enduring Cry. Then flip that Decoy Totem into its own socket. That's also an update that should be made to the build guide... as soon as you can, run Cast When Damage Taken (L1) with a L5 Warlord's Mark and a L5 Enduring Cry--AND NEVER LEVEL THOSE GEMS AGAIN.

Feel free to PM me in game and I'll give you some tips and show you my setup.
Last edited by debuskjt on Feb 16, 2014, 4:20:36 PM
As far as your build, you also seemed to trade out some enduring cry nodes for more damage. That's probably hurting your survivability a lot. Esp. the +1 enduring cry.

I'm also not running any fancy unqiues. My gear is pretty meh and a lot of it was self-found/crafted.
Last edited by debuskjt on Feb 16, 2014, 4:23:50 PM
"
j0zef wrote:
@SpidaFly:

Your tree isn't bad, but it's not optimal for leveling. Once you get to Merciless, you start needing lots of defense. You have pretty much no armor nodes. You need some ASAP. There are 3 good ones at the beginning of the tree, and there are some great combo dmg/armor nodes next to Resolute technique. There's also a combo node next to Baptism by Light. Lastly, make your way to Steel Skin - especially since it connects to Master of the Arena, which is directly attached to some life nodes.

Ok. I've reworked my tree to drop some resist nodes, worked on my gear a bit, got some boots from a buddy and got lucky and spent my only exalt on a ~410 phys dps maul. Grabbed the armor nodes as suggested and I'm working my way toward Steel Skin. Spent 60 to 66 grinding Lunaris 3 / Piety, got nothing good but xp, but that let me work my tree out a bit.

My build is now (at 66):

"
As for your gear, you need to get rid of the life gain on hit support for GS.

Done.

"
I'd also recommend experimenting with Immortal Call. I used to run 7 Endurance charges and no IC because I thought I'd rather have constant damage reduction, but it's just not optimal after Act3 merciless. The damage is too spiky, and the relief that IC provides is worth it.

Do you advise running IC on the CWDT+Enduring Cry? Would this rob me of the survivability of sustaining 6 Endurance charges in heavy fights?

The problems I'm having right now:
- DEX! Am I supposed to be getting ALL of my dex from items? I don't have enough dex to get a Multistrike high enough for it to be a viable replacement for Added Fire Damage. And of course, optimally, I'd like a 5L so I can run HS/GS + life leech + added fire damage + mele phys dmg + multistrike - but I'm quite poor so that isn't an option yet unless I get lucky and get an amazing 5L armor drop.

- With my new weapon, my GS now sits at 4k dps, my HS sits just under 8k. The next big DPS upgrades would be to switch to a mana build and run an aura, or get 5L. How would you suggest going about steering this build toward a mana+aura build? Are Blood Magic gems necessary, or can I easily get enough mana leech on gear to make the build sustainable?

- Question about Master of the Arena: I'm considering dropping Executioner to get a point for Master of the Arena - does MotA increase the effective range of GS?
Last edited by SpidaFly on Feb 16, 2014, 6:40:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info