Hit detection and hit boxes seriously needs some work. Videos and Images included!

"
m3lt wrote:
I dunno if anyone noticed, but there is something very odd and dodgy with hit detection in this game. First arrows and spells do not travel where you have the cursor (and I posted another thread with video to show it) and secondly melee characters are missing way too much.

I have videos I am uploading right now, showing mobs right in front of me and I am trying to kill them for a very very long time, which clearly the swing is not hitting at all.

Anyone else noticed this too?

UPDATE: Rhys kindly responded to my thread in the bug section, here is his answer along with my reply as well.
Rhys's response:
Spoiler
"
Rhys wrote:
Thank you for the extremely detailed feedback. Videos of any problem/bug are always greatly appreciated.

I have seen your footage, and I believe that this NOT a bug, rather a simple misunderstanding:

Arrows are NOT fired at the point you click on. This is intentional. Instead, they are fired at a point approx. 1.6m directly above the point on the ground that you click, so that they travel parallel to the ground (assuming the ground is flat).

This allows arrows to travel past the point you click and to hit enemies in the line of travel. It helps, for example, when you mis-click near an enemy since the arrow can still go on to hit something, instead of getting lodged uselessly in the ground.

Here is a illustration of how the arrow is travelling. This is me using paint to draw onto one of your screenshots.

Note that the line from the click point to the character's feet is parallel to the arrow's flight path.

Thanks again for the detailed bug report, but I don't think this is a bug!

And my reply:
Spoiler
"
m3lt wrote:
Rhys thank you for your explanation on this matter.

Though I understand your logic behind this now, the fact remains that in Action-RPG games I have played, none had this sort of aiming and they all had accurate hitting, you point the mouse, you shoot there, simple as it is.

The problem with adopting this technique to shoot, is that it mislead users into thinking the spell or projectile is going to hit the cursor, and if it doesn't hit anything it will travel off screen.

In no moment at all gamers would think it would hit the ground, it never happened in this sort of games and I would like you if possible to show me an Action RPG where you point anywhere in the screen and the arrow or spell hit the ground as a result of not hitting a target.

I do not feel this new aiming system benefits users and I have a very good friend who I called to play this game and he felt exactly the same way as I did, a proper "WTF!" moment.

Many countless times I was aiming at chests and the arrow would just fly above it... then I had to lower the aim and then shoot it...

Please keep this thread to the point and have a mature, objective and rational discussion.
We are all here because we like the game and want to improve it, people will undoubtly have different opinions but express them maturely.

Here are the videos and pictures showing my point.
You can see what I mean in this video here: http://youtu.be/NPblo1-RE88
Second video: http://youtu.be/NT7sHbw0Fjo
Third Video: http://youtu.be/D-UvQJYnVFA

Special Marauder 100% miss rating! :) http://youtu.be/7hrF3eUbuMg

First picture explaining: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23809975/CroppedArrow1.jpg
Second picture explaining: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23809975/CroppedArrow2.jpg
Third picture showing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23809975/Arrowproblem.jpg

and where it should have been:

Wow I thot this was just desync. This really needs changed. The logic behind the programming of the arrow path makes no sense to me.
For me, ranged classes are unplayable because of this. Everything shoots an inch higher than where I targetted. The devs explanation works when shooting in the direction the picture showed, but this happens when firing North too. You can even see it happening more clearly like that.

Try shooting things north of you on the screen. You'll see the arrow do it's own thing.
This makes no sense to me I don't see what the problem is. You click on the mobs to hit them and if you wanna stay in one place while doing that you hold shift its pretty simple. Think of it this way if you were able to hit everything off screen. Then all you would do is just sit in one place and never move which kinda defeats the purpose of the game.

I am also pretty sure that torchlight 2 uses a similar system and that game is also better then D3
"
DesertF0X666 wrote:
I am also pretty sure that torchlight 2 uses a similar system and that game is also better then D3

Nope, not as far as I remember. Same goes for D2 and D3 and every ARPG I ever played (and I played a lot).
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
I support u m3lt.

what u virgin retards need to realize is that its a GAME
Right so your not a virgin retard because you said everyone else is.

All I am saying was the conversation was somewhat mature until you chimed in nheon.
There is no reason to troll like that. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinions.
"
nheon wrote:
I support u m3lt.

what u virgin retards need to realize is that its a GAME

While I apreciate your support, we have to make sure this thread stays constructive and hope for some Dev to notice and give their input.

At one point in life we were all virgins, retards or a combination of both, myself included, but now it is not time to discuss that, so let's keep the thread clean with constructive criticism. :)

And by the way to the dude saying TL2 and Diablo uses this method, nope... No other Action RPG I know of do this and I have been asking in the thread ALL the time for people to show me a game where this is done... no one was able to point one except of course PoE.

So yeah, let's hope some Dev sees and rethinks this issue.
I can't believe that in D3 the cursor is a meter above ground. I cannot aim like that.
"
folderpirate wrote:
For me, ranged classes are unplayable because of this. Everything shoots an inch higher than where I targetted. The devs explanation works when shooting in the direction the picture showed, but this happens when firing North too. You can even see it happening more clearly like that.

Try shooting things north of you on the screen. You'll see the arrow do it's own thing.

Could not agree more. This system they use is completely counter intuitive to any other arpg out there. There's no reason I can fathom that they need to have this clunky system, over one that has worked in every other game.

I'm personally gonna take a break from the game, in hopes that they fix this aiming issue in the near future.). I love the game, but I want to play a ranged character, and this system makes playing one too tedious to enjoy right now. So please GGG, change the aiming system to the traditional "Fire to cursor" style system that we see in other games, so I can get back here and begin enjoying the game again.
Computer Specs: Intel core 2 quad Q8400, 4 GB DDR2 (Corsair), Radeon HD 6870.
"
m3lt wrote:
Sadly, I won't be playing again due to this. I hope this gets sorted because apart from that the game is very good, but this game design decision is game breaking for me.

I would like to ask any of you to show me any other Action RPG that has a similar system so I know this is not the only game doing it.

Ok, so assume they would change this your way... then the point you click is the point where your head would be and where the arrow goes. I think THAT would be much more awkward, don´t you agree?

Imagine you click somewhere to walk there but that is the point where your head will be, meaning your feet will be (due to isometric view) roughly 2cm below that spot. Imagine you want to stand between two rocks and you have to click the rock to stand next to it or you want to walk over a small bridge and you have to click next to the bridge. Or imagine a melee who swings 1cm below the click or Groundslam, which will hit the ground like 2cm below the click.
And you would have to click above doors to open them, above handles to use them and above rhoa-nests to step on them... If you would click next to a tree your char would slam into it at maxspeed, same for rocks, buildings, mountains and anything else. THAT would be stupid!

My point is: For every(!) Char and playstyle the feet are at the same spot, so GGG created a mechanic, where every char reacts the same way to the click and based on your(!) playstyle you decide how far you have to take this into account.

I hope you get my point and learn to adapt instead of bitching around like "play my way or I go home"-kindergarten behaviour.

regards
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Last edited by Azdrubel on Jan 26, 2013, 8:33:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info