Hit detection and hit boxes seriously needs some work. Videos and Images included!

"
Azdrubel wrote:
"
m3lt wrote:
Sadly, I won't be playing again due to this. I hope this gets sorted because apart from that the game is very good, but this game design decision is game breaking for me.

I would like to ask any of you to show me any other Action RPG that has a similar system so I know this is not the only game doing it.

Ok, so assume they would change this your way... then the point you click is the point where your head would be and where the arrow goes. I think THAT would be much more awkward, don´t you agree?

Imagine you click somewhere to walk there but that is the point where your head will be, meaning your feet will be (due to isometric view) roughly 2cm below that spot. Imagine you want to stand between two rocks and you have to click the rock to stand next to it or you want to walk over a small bridge and you have to click next to the bridge. Or imagine a melee who swings 1cm below the click or Groundslam, which will hit the ground like 2cm below the click.
And you would have to click above doors to open them, above handles to use them and above rhoa-nests to step on them... If you would click next to a tree your char would slam into it at maxspeed, same for rocks, buildings, mountains and anything else. THAT would be stupid!

My point is: For every(!) Char and playstyle the feet are at the same spot so they created a mechanic, where every char reacts the same way to the click and based on your(!) playstyle you decide how far you have to take this into account.

I hope you get my point and learn to adapt instead of bitching around like "play my way or I go home"-kindergarten behaviour.

regards

Have you really stopped and re-read and re-think what you just wrote?

You are accusing me of trying to change the system to "my way", and you can't be more wrong. This is not "my way", it is the normal way for action RPGs and it has been since forever...

What other games have you played with this "feet line of sight" game mechanic?
I dare you, show me an action rpg with isometric view (as all they are) that has this targeting system.

Please, shut me up and show me.
"
m3lt wrote:
blahblah... normal way for action RPGs and it has been since forever... blahblah

What other games have you played ...

Please, shut me up and show me.

"
...since forever...

"
FOREVER

Yes, I have. As you have seen, I have edited some stuff, so be assured I mean what I say.

But to be fair, it is not "your way", but rather "the way you suggest". My apologies...

Regarding your question: YES! Diablo 2! THE Diablo game. (Where D3, TL and most other ARPGs got their ideas from) With real mechanics and not stupid kindergarten stuff like walk/hit/aim/look/shoot where the cursor is, always hit, global additive crit and so on...

Don´t believe me? Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5R-LiXMJ8

LOOK AT THIS! Look close!!! Stop at 1:15 min and compare the position of the cursor and the way the arrows travel!

And now: learn to adapt!

Edit: Oh, btw - Diablo 1 has it too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIECnOJsMQs stop at 7:40min and compare...

Edit2: NO! It is NOT seeking! She is using MULTISHOT! Not a seeking ability! Have you even looked at the video? Oh, yeah, strafe, right... which isn´t auto targeting either...
And Diablo 1? It is the default bow attack! Not seeking anything...
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Last edited by Azdrubel on Jan 26, 2013, 8:57:51 AM
LOL @ m3lt you got some serious problems.

How about you click the mob and it will hit it?

On all your videos are you purposely just shooting above the character to try to get attention from the dev's so they can "Fix" this bug you mysteriously just pulled out of your ass?

Stop wasting the dev's time, there is no bug here, next time click on the character or shoot aligned with it and your arrows will hit, otherwise stop qqing, lol.

Unbelievable the worst thread I've ever seen on POE, cannot believe I just wasted my time trying to agree with you, but noticed how you put ur cursor above the mobs so you missed purposely.. give me a break pal.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
"
monkuar wrote:
Unbelievable the worst thread I've ever seen on POE, cannot believe I just wasted my time trying to agree with you, but noticed how you put ur cursor above the mobs so you missed purposely.. give me a break pal.

Yup, clearly my cursor is above the mob...

Or maybe the arrow will stop where my cursor is and hit the ground and travel like 3 feet?

Worst blind is the one who does not want to see.

And as for the other dude saying Diablo 2 has this targeting system, give me a break dude, learn that the spell the amazon is using is seeking the target... it is supposed to be like that...

Anyways, good luck to everyone and to GGG for a good game nevertheless.

I am out, GLHF! :)

/logout

Last edited by m3lt on Jan 26, 2013, 9:01:27 AM
"
monkuar wrote:

I see this one thrown around a lot, the problem there is, when you start running into fast enemies, which later in the game happens pretty often, then, good luck clicking on them %100 of the time. People can be close minded, and say "Just click on the enemy idiot! rabble rabble rabble!" all they want. But no one, and I mean NO ONE, will be able to click on the enemy every time. Hell, for you average player, it would barely break %50. Which I'm sure most will simply rebuttal with "Well then they shouldn't play that class." or "Then they should get better at the game.". If you honestly think that, then you are the worst, most toxic kind of player in an online community.

Having a system where you HAVE to click on the enemy to hit them, or hope to hell that your shot isn't gonna go right over the enemies head, because you weren't aiming 50 feet bellow them, is just poor game design, and will no doubt limit the people willing to play that class (And ultimately, play the game it self.). I've see more than a few posts, here and on other forums about people getting frustrated with the aiming system in the game, and just giving up on the game completely. Regardless of what percentage of the player base quit the game based on this, every person who does, is one less potential customer for the game.
Computer Specs: Intel core 2 quad Q8400, 4 GB DDR2 (Corsair), Radeon HD 6870.
Last edited by lycao on Jan 26, 2013, 10:58:50 PM
"
monkuar wrote:
LOL @ m3lt you got some serious problems.

On all your videos are you purposely just shooting above the character to try to get attention from the dev's so they can "Fix" this bug you mysteriously just pulled out of your ass?

Stop wasting the dev's time, there is no bug here, next time click on the character or shoot aligned with it and your arrows will hit, otherwise stop qqing, lol.

Post from a noob.
At least two facts now you dont know.
I have to agree with the OP on this one. Going by Rhys's explanation, the current system is completely unintuitive. I don't care about your little "logic" and "real-world reasoning" or what not; in this kind of game, you shoot where your cursor points, simple as that.

I've found that I miss many shots when I know I clicked in the right direction, but I really didn't think much on it until I saw this. If this is way it currently works, it really needs to be changed.
I started this game as a ranger and haven't noticed any problems yet. I either target enemies directly and kill them or I hold shift and aim towards them and kill them.
As people have said, devs intended the targetting to be this way. I personally dislike it, but I know there is no way to get an alternative, so I try to make due with the existing mechanic. I'm not as bad at hitting things as I was in cb (practice does make one improve after all), but I still vastly prefer using AoE attacks/spells to kill stuff, because even if I miss the hitbox, I still hit the mobs because I was facing the right way XD

What's funny (in regards to the OP's ranger examples) is that with a bow ranger and single target attacks I almost always hit, but with melee characters I'm just moving all over the place, which can get dangerous as the difficulty increases.
Split 'n' fork(lift)
OP, do me a favor and use LS on right mouse click and in the same manor as you intend to use bows. Notice that if you click the ground near your character at head level your character moves there first and then hits, but if you click near his feet he doesn't move before hitting. The reason is simple; it's based on move and shoot mechanics in a 3D environment. Now convert this to bow, you expect one weapon type to source from the top and all others to source from the bottom? what about skills? You have a Templar with his LS and fireball and you expect the player to re-adapt his aiming on the fly between attacks because you insist on a jitter in the source of the attack?

Not to mention attacking from the head would completely destroy the move mechanic.. again it'd jitter your intentions since your feet are the source of movement.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info