Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

"
CrunchyDD wrote:
"
Juggla1570 wrote:
You guys are nuts ...

"
Cast on Critical Strike now has a 10 millisecond cooldown. The chance to cast supported skills has been increased by a flat 20%.

That is equivalent to allowing 100 procs per second. I don't play this build but I have a heavy ST/CoC build that really hasn't changed for the worse since the patch. This is actually a buff.

Not necessarily. This build allowed multiple procs of CoC from one cast, but now that the cooldown has been implemented, it stops those multiple procs from occurring. It may be fine for other CoC builds, but for builds with procs that occur simultaneously, it definitely was a nerf.

My build allows for multiple procs on CoC from one cast. The pierce of ST is not a lot different than the chain from this build. After testing, post patch, I can still throw 1 set of daggers (ST/CoC/LMP/Ice Spear/Cold Snap) and get a full screen of spells with that 1 cast of Spectral Throw. So, while this statement may be partially true --> "for builds with procs that occur simultaneously, it definitely was a nerf.", this build still seems that it should benefit from 100 procs per second. If 100 procs per second is not enough then yes maybe you'll have to go back to the drawing board.
Check out my Frozen Dagger build in the Shadow forums!!
I will test the build today evening. Now I can say that we definitely need replace one EK with different spell like arc for shock stacking because now CoC proc only 1 spell of a kind. Single target dps will increase because of better CoC proc chance.
ing: Storm_Gaze
"
LeMing wrote:
I will test the build today evening. Now I can say that we definitely need replace one EK with different spell like arc for shock stacking because now CoC proc only 1 spell of a kind. Single target dps will increase because of better CoC proc chance.

If CoC only procs a single spell of a kind it will definitely be a DPS loss for anyone using two EKs. I'll have to test it tonight as well and see just how much of a change it makes when you don't yet have a 5L/6L to be able to include a Second EK.

Since a single EK has been enough for the most part to allow clearing of content while leveling, the increased chance of casting should make leveling up with CoC even more effective (net gain for non-EndGame). It will also mean you can devote more points and gear towards Defense and Damage modifiers (or Crit Mult) rather than to crit chance.

I did test some spells last night out of curiosity to see how they would work with Barrage, a few were interesting in a gimmick fashion while others were quite powerful.

- Raise Skeletons :: Probably fairly effective defensively, definitely ties up any targeted enemies however they get re-raised in every direction.
- Frost Wall :: Very defensive, it does block your own projectiles preventing you from doing further damage (even though chain will 'chain' through it to the next target). Definitely not party friendly

- Freezing Pulse :: Potential for extreme shotgun, although it might work better with LMP/GMP than with Chain.
- Spark/Arc :: Slightly different damage spread due to differences in mechanics, but both provide shock stacking, Arc spreading the shocks around and Spark shotgunning them.
- Cold Snap :: Using this with Voll's Protector to maintain Power Charges led to massive damage (Level 12 Cold Snap was killing Merc Fellshrine as fast as Level 15 EK, possibly faster depending on clustering). Unfortunately Voll's is not a good choice for this because of the required Green Sockets (Barrage, EK, CoC, Chain/Fork).
IGN: Tresmere, Mariela, Manyella
Usually online M-F 5-6p EST - Varies on Weekends.
An alternative is to replace one EK or other spell for Cast on Kill.
Guides made by me:
Unnamed's CoC CI Discharge Trickster, Tankster BV MoM Poison, Saboquisitor MoM Pure Cold damage with Hrimburn, Trickster Critical Flameblast
"
An alternative is to replace one EK or other spell for Cast on Kill.

According to the Wiki this is Cast on Melee Kill. This won't work with either Barrage or EK.
Do you guys think that is better to use socket for another spell, or to buff out ek? In short period of trying i would say that 2 ek still beats other > ek+crit chance gem > ek+fire dmg gem > ek+arc.Although arc is low level, and same build for all gem variation.
Last edited by Djolonator on Jan 9, 2014, 9:20:04 AM
"
Djolonator wrote:
Do you guys think that is better to use socket for another spell, or to buff out ek? In short period of trying i would say that 2 ek still beats other > ek+crit chance gem > ek+fire dmg gem > ek+arc.Although arc is low level, and same build for all gem variation.

This depends on exactly how the change to Cast on Crit applies

Possibilities:
1. Cast on Crit Global cooldown of 10ms.
Multiple spells of any sort will be of 'limited' use due to only one being cast per possible hit.

Solution : Use a single spell and buff the result as much as possible. Skills that hit multiple targets simultaneously will be weaker for CoC.

2. Cast on Crit Cooldown per linked spell of 10ms
Should have limited effect on Barrage since each spell is a separate instance (barrage hits are not instantaneous, so travel time between projectiles should only occasionally be affected by the 10ms limit.

Solution : Multiple spells are possible when hits are staggered, AoE abilities (Melee Splash/Reave [Is the AoE instant or a pulse?]) and Multiple Projectiles hitting in sync are weakened.

3. Cast on Crit Cooldown per spell [type] of 10ms
This will decrease effect of 2x EK (since they are both of the same [type]), but not affect EK+<insert spell>. Once again simultaneous hitting abilities are weakened due to 10ms delay.

Solution : Use multiple different spells, or buff the single spell as much as possible.

Case 1 and Case 3 are of biggest import to this build. Case 2 will only have a limited effect since it all depends on timing of the chained projectiles interacting; it will lessen overall DPS but in a more limited manner.

Breakdown of gem benefits based on the three cases, summary below

Adding Crit Chance provides the smallest benefit to DPS of the options in all 3 cases. With the changes to CoC you will be casting more often as it is (previously 95% Chance to Crit was 64.6% Chance to Cast per Hit, you now reach 66% with only 75% chance to crit).

Added Fire Damage is at least a 39% DPS increase (Quality and Spell Damage will increase this further). In Case 2 this is less than adding a second cast of EK as long as your chance to cast on crit is higher than 40% (which it is from level 1 now). It adds more damage than a second EK for Case 1 and Case 2 in the following situations:

The increased odds of casting on crit when the first cast failed is less than 39%. This is always the case since even at level 1 CoC (50% chance to crit + 50% of 50% (if the first failed)) = 75% chance to cast, an increase of 25%.

In Case 1 it will also be better than a second spell unless the second spell would deal more damage than EK (In which case that alternate spell would be the better choice regardless).

Adding Arc or Spark (bulk shocks vs shotgunning) only really has a benefit in Case 3, and even then it's benefit over AFD depends on situation. If you can reliably ensure at least 2 shock stacks on a target then it will add more DPS than AFD on the shocked targets. On Bosses this might be the best choice assuming you can keep them shocked (with Spark) since it is all single target damage, multiple targets there's no guarantee you can shock enough of them to increase total DPS.

Summary:

Case 1 [Only 1 spell per 10ms regardless of type] :
Added Fire Damage will provide greatest increase. Shock stacking is of limited use since there's no guarantee EK will trigger instead of Arc to gain the benefit.

Case 2 [10ms cooldown per linked spell, each independent] :
EK is still the best bet. Added Fire will come in second.

Case 3 [10ms cooldown per (spellname), multiple EK share cooldown] :
Added Fire Damage or Arc/Spark. Depends on consistency of Shock Stacks. FP/Ice Spear/Arctic Breath as an alternative for Freezing

Other options (of variable benefit in cases 1 and 3):
Blind (safety), Additional Accuracy/Faster Attacks, Cold Penetration (Hatred), Increased Critical Damage, Enhance/Empower, Added Cold/Lightning/Chaos Damage, Faster Projectiles.

In Case 3: Raise Skeleton. Replaces Brotem allowing to also use Decoy/Shockwave/Rejuv/Devouring according to preference, or use a different Spell Totem.
Detonate Dead. This might also work in Case 1, assuming it not being able to trigger will allow EK to cast as often as possible until there are corpses. Damage benefits are hard to calculate.
"
LeMing wrote:

avaible?
"
pacatino wrote:

avaible?

I tested the build. It has been nerfed but only a little.
It is perfectly available :)
I have many thoughts and some solution how to make it as OP as it was. Tommorow I will make small update of the build.
ing: Storm_Gaze
"
LeMing wrote:
"
pacatino wrote:

avaible?

I tested the build. It has been nerfed but only a little.
It is perfectly available :)
I have many thoughts and some solution how to make it as OP as it was. Tommorow I will make small update of the build.

Is it a significant DPS drop or still viable for higher maps? I'm wondering if I should continue leveling my Shadow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info