Marylene's Fallacy Lapis Amulet

It's probably one of the worst uniques they've ever introduced. 140% critical multiplier is pretty awful for cutting your critical strike chance by half and ruining any dps you get from normal attacks.

This item is ONLY feasible with a wand, due to the ridiculous base crit you can get with a wand. And EVEN THEN this item does not provide enough critical multiplier to justify all of its downsides.

If the critical multiplier were closer to 200% or higher, it could be conceivably worth it.

The only actual use I can think of for this item is if you are using the +1 totem node - your attacks do no damage anyway, but you get culling strike if you ever do crit something. Still, you're giving up your necklace slot for an unlikely proc.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 1, 2014, 1:22:15 AM
It would at least be usable if it was 60% less MULTIPLIER and 160% increased crit chance. This way you could get insane crit chance while gimping both your crit multiplier and non-crit damage.

Gimping your non-crit damage AND crit chance is just really silly.
someone was trying to sell this in a trade thread and I posted a low offer and they informed me that the forum was not the proper place to make jokes. duly noted, good sir, duly noted.
Technically though, this item could have one other use.

In Closed Beta, I made a critical multiplier build for level 1-29 PVP using the Death's Harp. As a result of OHKOing almost everyone in PVP (who didn't build the fuck out of evade/block, anyway), GGG was forced to raise the base item level of Death's Harp. I felt so proud!

I could see this item being exploitable, though I don't know its level req off hand. If it's sub-30, I could see it being useful for PVP - just put ALL of your stats into crit mult, crit chance, and added damage on a high base crit weapon of some kind. You might be able to score OHKOs if you can delay the match long enough until you land a crit. The only benefit this item has is maybe, if it's level req is low enough, it can eclipse crit mult of level 29 rares by a ton and enable monstertruck crits.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 1, 2014, 2:26:12 AM
its very easy with dual daggers to reach crit cap. dual wands even easier. Maligaro's Virtuosity + Rat's Nest with a hard cast crit weakness + all major dagger crit nodes + twin terrors. this is cast on crit wet dream. it only nullifies one plat kris daggers global crit chance.

i am wearin one dagger with 40 global crit. have 73.9 chance to crit without Maligaro's Virtuosity, Rat's Nest, or crit weakness. tall me its junk still.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Jan 1, 2014, 3:38:09 AM
"
leighferon wrote:
its very easy with dual daggers to reach crit cap. dual wands even easier. Maligaro's Virtuosity + Rat's Nest with a hard cast crit weakness + all major dagger crit nodes + twin terrors. this is cast on crit wet dream. it only nullifies one plat kris daggers global crit chance.

i am wearin one dagger with 40 global crit. have 70 chance to crit without Maligaro's Virtuosity, Rat's Nest, or crit weakness. tall me its junk still.

Nope, that's wrong. Its not 60% reduced crit chance, its 60% LESS. So even if you had 90% crit chance before wearing the amulet, it will drop to 36% when you wear it. Losing 54% crit chance just for an extra 90% increased crit multi is a really dumb idea for just about ANY crit build.

50-70% crit multi rare amulets with hp/resists/damage will ALWAYS be better than this unique unless you can get up to 125%-237.5% (50%-95% with the unique) crit chance BEFORE wearing it.
wow i didnt know it was that bad >.< sorry...thats really sad.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
"
leighferon wrote:
wow i didnt know it was that bad >.< sorry...thats really sad.

Yeah it cuts your crit chance by 2/3, not reducing it additively 66%

EDIT: Like I said earlier, the only time I can see it working is if you hit something like 120% crit chance. Using the amulet will put that down to 50% crit chance, and having a diamond flask improves your crit chance to 75% (diamond flask gives optimal bonus when you have 50% crit chance)

Remember that since its an amulet, it can be combined with abyssus (amongst other things like maligro)

However this is all theortycraft, if your crit chance is > 100%, odds are you have already devoted a ridiculous amount of your tree/crit to your gear. The amulet may already be irrelevant by this point
Last edited by deteego on Jan 1, 2014, 4:57:31 AM
I don't see a point in this item.

Unless there's a skill that hurts yourself for the benefit of a non-damage utility; something like deals x damage to self while stunning every monster around, then maybe this amulet would be pretty awesome on a build focused on crowd control or utility.

p.s would be nice if this game has a skill gem like, deal x damage to self and heal y to ally, but then again healer class will never happen in this game.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Last edited by wxyjac on Feb 9, 2014, 10:40:00 AM
I still believe, I'll admit solely due to the criticism it's received, this item has some hidden potential.

Like dateego suggests, a build with 100% critical strike chance, a level 21 critical weakness gem, and a diamond flask, is capable of 75% critical strike chance (100% * 60% less = 40% + 10% crit weakness = 50%, 50% + diamond's 50% chance to fail * 50% = 75%). At which point, so long as you maintain diamond flask charges you're losing 75% non-crit damage only 25% of the time, for a gain of some (potentially) 3-400% additional damage 75% of the time.

Even without diamond flasks, it's just a matter of taking advantage of some skill that needs only one good hit. That means fire damage, which doesn't care about the non crits, so long as the crit inflicts sufficient enough damage for a massive burn.

The question then becomes, at what point does a build become inefficient when trying to min/max this relationship, and at what point are the results more efficient than is necessary thereby being inefficient by diminishing returns of opportunity cost. The latter, I'd say, is less apparent, provided Marylene's is capable of inflicting an ungodly burn dps against a boss; it doesn't matter then, if you spend a few seconds dealing relatively no damage, if you can burn the majority of their life away in just a few seconds more.

Ultimately, experience and instinct tells me that such a build would be far too glass cannon to be worth it, but nonetheless I can imagine potential for a 200k damage per second burn, enabled partially by Marylene's.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info