Marylene's Fallacy Lapis Amulet

"
CanHasPants wrote:
I anticipate something absolutely crazy coming out of this unique. Like 3500% crit multi, crazy. A conservative 2000% while not building glass cannon.

It is 150% increased crit multi, not more.

A rare amulet can have 70% increased crit multi. So Marylene's is an upgrade of 80% increased multi, aka 120% multi.

So if 3500% multi is possible with Marylenes, 3380% multi is possible without Marylene's.
that makes it a +150% if my calculations are correct compared to a guy who doesnt have any amulets with worthwile critmultis.

Now we just need an spell that always crits.
Preferably one with 2phases.
Maybe straight line.
Cold?
Must be Incinerate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
Lachdanan wrote:
that makes it a +150% if my calculations are correct compared to a guy who doesnt have any amulets with worthwile critmultis.

Now we just need an spell that always crits.
Preferably one with 2phases.
Maybe straight line.
Cold?
Must be Incinerate.

Ice Spear would do more DPS with a rare amulet than with Marylenes.
Also, Ice Spear doesn't always crit, it just has one of the best chances to do so. A chance that is still throttled by the amulet's Less modifier.

The best suggestion I've heard so far is some take on a Puncture or Burning build. If the focus is on getting one big dot, all that really matters is at least one big crit per enemy every 5 (4 for burning) seconds. (Getting another crit faster than that refreshes the duration, but it probably won't increase the DoT.)

Of course, there's still a major problem since it can still take a few seconds to proc that DoT, and then you have to wait for the DoT to do its work.

Edit for below: Probably. "Best idea I've heard" sadly was not "Definitely a Good Idea", in this case. :c
Last edited by Softspoken on Dec 15, 2013, 2:15:40 AM
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I anticipate something absolutely crazy coming out of this unique. Like 3500% crit multi, crazy. A conservative 2000% while not building glass cannon.

It is 150% increased crit multi, not more.

A rare amulet can have 70% increased crit multi. So Marylene's is an upgrade of 80% increased multi, aka 120% multi.

So if 3500% multi is possible with Marylenes, 3380% multi is possible without Marylene's.

Losing 80% base would net a 175% reduction. Talking about empowered, enhanced crit weakness in a +1 item.

Overall I feel this is one of the more well balanced uniques. It's a shame it isn't perceived as such, given the sheer amount "pretty much better than any rare" uniques we have. I'll concede, though, 150% probably isn't quite enough for its double drawback.
Spoiler
Maybe they planned this all along, and already have a buffed version ready. They'll patch it in and we'll all use our divine orbs, because, you know, they drop way too frequently. Gotta keep a healthy orb sink rollin' :D

Edit: And puncture is probably a terrible skill to use with this. The entire idea behind puncture, vs bosses, is to shoot and kite to get the moving damage and to stay out of harms way. Standing still attacking for several seconds doesn't really allow either.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Dec 15, 2013, 12:50:50 AM
The loss of crit chance AND reduced damage for non crit strikes for the sake of the mulitplyer that's not even high is just too much.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
It's a terrible item, what are you guys smoking. Sure, it might be usable in softcore but think of it this way:

Does it have life?
No.

Is it Eye of Chayula?
No.

Does it give all stats?
No.

Well, what the hell does it have then?
160% crit multi.

Cool! Now I can get 80% crit multi more by giving up life and all stats, right?
Well, not quite, it reduces your critical strike chance by 60%.
Oh, so I just have to grab a few more crit nodes to make up for it, no problem!
It also makes non-critical strikes deal 25% Damage.
Wait, what?!
@Aelloon
It's decent for elemental prolif crit burn builds.

Discharge Burn for example doesn't want to crit against a lot of targets due to reflect, but wants just a few mobs to proliferate a huge burn to nearby enemies.

Edit: This is assuming discharge rolls crit against every target individually.
Last edited by Novalisk on Dec 15, 2013, 4:53:12 AM
"
Novalisk wrote:
It's decent for elemental prolif crit burn builds.

Discharge Burn for example doesn't want to crit against a lot of targets due to reflect, but wants just a few mobs to proliferate a huge burn to nearby enemies.

Edit: This is assuming discharge rolls crit against every target individually.

Discharge doesn't, only if you're using crit weakness as the ones that are cursed are more likely to be crit than those who aren't.

I have no idea why people say this is good for burning and puncture builds. Those are generally slow attack so it's going to take a while to crit and with that ammy you can't even rely on non-crits for kiting damage.

I cannot find any use for this ammy unless there's some sort of build that converts crit chance and multi into something else coming down the line. Similar to kongors but the crit multi does something else as well.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
In most cases it would be buffed like if it was probably 350% or something more then I'd actually probably use it the drawbacks to the ammy is just too far great to a better result.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info