[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

"
Azemotay wrote:
Hey, I know you suggested the second build to me. But maybe just to ask. A lot of people seem to think frenzy is the way to go for single target. So if later I plan on using something like split arrow would frenzy be a smart idea? And if so, maybe would one of the frezy builds be be better? Or just stick with the 2nd build and maybe add some of the +1 frenzy charge notables in along the way. What do you think?

Frenzy is best for builds that will focus on physical damage. The frenzy charges also increase the attack speed for other skills as well, which is why Frenzy is so great.

> Shoot enemy 3-6 times to build up frenzy charges with Frenzy
> Use other skills like Split or Rain of Arrows with the increase in attack speed if you're in a crowd.
> Otherwise, keep using Frenzy or a different DPH/single-target skill

I think with the new quests and all, you can stick with the second build and then have room to spare with extra passive points into frenzy charges no problem past lvl 64.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Azemotay wrote:
"
Nazrugal wrote:
I got a Question

The "Basic Ranger Type 1" says "Evasion defense" and the "Basic Ranger Type 2" says "Evasion-based Armor".
Where is the difference?

I think i will go for the Critical Ranger, but im not sure what defense i should use.
Islidox wrote "Evasion/ES defense". Does it mean i should use Evasion/ES on my gear?

PS: Thank you very much for this Thread. It's a big help.

The first one you stack evasion to dodge a lot of the attacks
The second one Stacks evasion to get really high armour with Iron Reflex which converts evasion to armour. Since Base evasion is higher than base evasion on most items.

The key difference between build 1 and build 2 is that build two turns all your evasion into armor through the Iron Reflexes keystone. Build 1 uses all that evasion AND the other 3 keysstones relating to dodging stuff. (Arrow, Acrobatics, PhaseA)

Evasion/ES defense means that you want to use Shadow gear that stacks both evasion AND energy shield (ES). If you have the Int requirements, you can immediately start to use said gear and get the best of both worlds with good mods on them.
"
Is an elemental bow ranger using split arrow ok?

Depends on several factors.

If you have elemental damage mods on your bow, gloves, rings, and quiver, they all add onto Split Arrow's physical damage. With several other supports like the Added ____ Damage and Weapon Elemental Damage, Split Arrow can be used in an Elemental Ranger's arsenal no problem, especially if you have Blood Magic.

And darkcrab I've answered your question through PM, so yea. :)
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 23, 2013, 10:35:22 PM
Absolutely outstanding. I love the Dexterity skills (and by extension the Ranger) and this is a lot more theorycrafting than I've been able to do. My Sword N Board build was pretty basic in CB and I had to do a lot of kiting due to mistakes I can see I made now.

I especially like how none of this relies on some crazy combination of stuff, it's good solid ideas anyone can use even with perfectly average gear with some wiggle room for particular variations.

It's really hard for a linear thinker like me to realize the nuance of the skill tree sometimes, simple ideas like doubling back for Iron Grip just don't occur to me. I figure I'll get better at builds after I level some characters up.

I'm starting a dual wielding Ranger just because, and my elemental bow ranger is already on the way.
Theorycrafting can be fun indeed. :3

The reason why I don't make a mention of melee Ranger builds in this thread is because they require far more gear than necessary and are unsuitable for an OB build. Unless the quest rewards have changed, I maintain this stance. Other players who are well-versed in PoE mechanics, gameplay, and overall knowledge can make full-fledged melee Ranger builds with a little bit of character farming. (Rolling characters for their quest rewards)

I made this thread in hopes that people can start off properly in OB when everything is still new and no economy has been developed enough. That's why being as gear-independent as possible is so crucial to making a successful build in OB.

As they say, knowledge is power.
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 23, 2013, 10:51:35 PM
I'm so confused as to what attack gems to take for Elemental ;~;

LA was nerfed, so nobody is still quite sure of it's viability. :\
What should I take for Bandit quest? 45 hp or skill point?
"
Azemotay wrote:
What should I take for Bandit quest? 45 hp or skill point?

All BM builds should go for the first Oak reward of 45HP. Other builds should stick with passive point.
Thanks Islidox for your hard work. I'm pretty much new though I loved GGG an amazing company but I had kind of quit in closed beta and never got past level 33 and never really learned much about the game. I was pretty much ugh alt f4 being overwhelmed. I'm starting to feel that way again but thankfully I found your thread.

I was wondering for a brand new ranger and player who is not a fast learner and makes a lot of mistakes would you suggest basic ranger 1 or 2? I assume the 2 might be the better ones as the other ones seem a bit more complex.

Also is there any kind of basic gear guides on what stats I should be grabbing. I hear things like speed on boots are a insane want and need for almost any class. Things like this I don't know until someone yells at me and says that and even then my attention span wonders way way to much.

I do like playing the Ranger Class though as my main character only because she is pretty small and everyone else is to ugly haha. Kind of sad at 27 I have to have a cute little character but that is the case ;)

Thanks for your time and I will bookmark and keep following this thread.
Hi,

how can show my tree?
Last edited by okko01 on Jan 24, 2013, 7:18:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info