[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

What do all those abbreviations mean? (GMP, 5L, 6L..ect ect ect.)
Your title includes new Players (like me) so might want to type them all out please.

Otherwise, Nice guide...I guess, thanks. :)
Last edited by Jessina on Jan 23, 2013, 1:37:14 PM
"
Jessina wrote:
What do all those abbreviations mean? (GMP, 5L, 6L..ect ect ect.)
Your title includes new Players (like me) so might want to type them all out please.

Otherwise, Nice guide...I guess, thanks. :)

GMP = Greater Multiple Projectiles, a support gem

5L/6L = an item with 5/6 linked sockets (gems only get affected by support gems if they are linked to the socket)

Also check this for more abbreviations:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/49333
Hey, I know you suggested the second build to me. But maybe just to ask. A lot of people seem to think frenzy is the way to go for single target. So if later I plan on using something like split arrow would frenzy be a smart idea? And if so, maybe would one of the frezy builds be be better? Or just stick with the 2nd build and maybe add some of the +1 frenzy charge notables in along the way. What do you think?
Thanks Islidox! Very good start for my ranger tonight :)
I got a Question

The "Basic Ranger Type 1" says "Evasion defense" and the "Basic Ranger Type 2" says "Evasion-based Armor".
Where is the difference?

I think i will go for the Critical Ranger, but im not sure what defense i should use.
Islidox wrote "Evasion/ES defense". Does it mean i should use Evasion/ES on my gear?

PS: Thank you very much for this Thread. It's a big help.
Last edited by Nazrugal on Jan 23, 2013, 5:24:46 PM
"
Nazrugal wrote:
I got a Question

The "Basic Ranger Type 1" says "Evasion defense" and the "Basic Ranger Type 2" says "Evasion-based Armor".
Where is the difference?

I think i will go for the Critical Ranger, but im not sure what defense i should use.
Islidox wrote "Evasion/ES defense". Does it mean i should use Evasion/ES on my gear?

PS: Thank you very much for this Thread. It's a big help.

The first one you stack evasion to dodge a lot of the attacks
The second one Stacks evasion to get really high armour with Iron Reflex which converts evasion to armour. Since Base evasion is higher than base evasion on most items.
Ranger newb here, and seeing as im patching with the speed of a snail freezing to death, I figured if ask.

Im gonna go with a Phys crit ranger, likely with frenzy and split arrow. What are good gem choices?

I was thinking anything that added crit damage/multiplier and...I dunno pierce?

Just looking for suggestions.
Is an elemental bow ranger using split arrow ok?
"
lalalex wrote:
I have been trying to plan my first OB character, but it's really hard. I mostly played witch in the closed beta so I don't really know all that much about rangers.

This is the build I have come up with. I want to focus on physical damage and life leech, with evasion converted to armor for defense. As for skills, I was thinking of going with the new and improved Rain of Arrows, or split shot for AOE. Frenzy for single target? As I said, I don't have much experience with rangers so this part is harder :) Ice shot? How does that work with life steal?

Also, have I put too much emphasis on life/survivability and not enough on offensive abilities?

If I were you, I'd probably do it a bit differently. Those 3 points in 3% attack speed by Thick Skin can find a better investment up north near Iron Grip where there's a cluster of three 3% and one 6% attack speed passives. To fill out a more complete build, I'm using 96 points:

Ice Shot may be viable for a single-target skill - we shall see, but Frenzy is the normal choice for physical rangers.

Also remember this folks:
- Life Gain on Hit is best for AoE attacks
- Life Leech is best for single-target attacks
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Soress wrote:
I was wondering for skills though, are split arrow and rain of arrows considered physical damage? Are there other gems that I would want to pursue to compliment this build?

I also saw you recommended the 2nd basic build and gonna look at that as well, but initially my idea was to go into a strength build. Also does it convert evasion point for point into armor, or is there a ratio or evasion to armor it gets converted into?

Thank you so much for all the guides and everyone elses input.

Split Arrow and Rain of Arrows are pure physical attacks, but can be affected by elemental damage to further increase the DPH output. (say ele dmg mods on your bow/quiver/rings and certain support gems like Added Cold Damage)

Support Gems to consider:
- Faster Attacks
- Faster Projectile
- Mana Leech
- Culling Strike
- Iron Grip
- Increased Crit Strike
- Increased Crit Multiplier
- Added (chaos/lightning/cold/fire) damage
- Fork, Pierce, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, Greater Multiple Projectiles, Chain
- Weapon Elemental Damage

Nope, Iron Reflexes converts on a 1:1 ratio of evasion rating to armor.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info