[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

Doomflatchi has the gist of it. I personally have no real idea about the build specifics and you'll have to ask mrpetrov on why he chose certain passives the way he did. I do know one thing, that projectile damage also affects the elemental damage on the bow as well. (Harking back to a post by Mark_GGG saying that fire elemental damage and projectile damage affected the Explosive Arrow's fuse damage.) If you think about it that way, then probably the majority of his choices make a lot more sense from that standpoint. Considering the new nerfs, it might be wise to get to Greater Impact, especially when we might have more build points to play around with in OB.

@TheFalls212 and Meowington707: you might want to take a look at the creator's thread of the BM elemental Ranger:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/44814

It has the rundown on his build. What I did was reorganize in what I believed the most optimal build was for 85 points. His goes beyond that and also uses the Berserking notable and Unwavering Stance keystone.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 23, 2013, 2:08:18 AM
Yeah I think more build points help a lot, now I could go for this at around lvl 80:

Still don't know if I can be satisfied with that, but it should balance damage and survivability now pretty well, but I will have to get Int from gear to use auras though.
"
Islidox wrote:
Doomflatchi has the gist of it. I personally have no real idea about the build specifics and you'll have to ask mrpetrov on why he chose certain passives the way he did. I do know one thing, that projectile damage also affects the elemental damage on the bow as well. (Harking back to a post by Mark_GGG saying that fire elemental damage and projectile damage affected the Explosive Arrow's fuse damage.) If you think about it that way, then probably the majority of his choices make a lot more sense from that standpoint. Considering the new nerfs, it might be wise to get to Greater Impact, especially when we might have more build points to play around with in OB.

@TheFalls212 and Meowington707: you might want to take a look at the creator's thread of the BM elemental Ranger:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/44814

It has the rundown on his build. What I did was reorganize in what I believed the most optimal build was for 85 points. His goes beyond that and also uses the Berserking notable and Unwavering Stance keystone.

Thanks, but I feel like LA isn't really that great of a choice in OB. I know the nerf wasn't severe enough to call it "useless" but I just feel like Elemental Hit would work better with LMP and Chain/Fork. I guess I should've just asked for an opinion on that, instead of the whole build itself.

Edit: Also, with the buffs, what about Ice Shot? So it boils down to Ice Shot, Elemental Hit, or Lightning Arrow? Maybe Ice Shot for AoE and Elemental Hit for single target? Hrmm. I'm stumped.

2nd Edit: I've made 2 specs for different levels. I believe they said 21 extra points? So the first one is ~lvl65 and the second ~lvl80. Seems fairly reasonable. I should achieve 80 by 1 or 2 weeks.

and
Meow.
Last edited by Meowington707 on Jan 23, 2013, 4:35:01 AM
I will roll a Hardcore Ranger in 12 hours and 20 minutes :)

So I try to find a good build with high survivability obviously.

I wanna go for physical damage with evasion+energy shield defense.

Passive Skill Tree

I wanna pick those life nodes/fitness first.
Then go for Arrow Dodging and after that Nullification/evasion+ es nodes

If I am still alive (in HC) adding Perfect Aim and Greater Impact

I like this Evasion/ES Defense so I wanna give it a try.
Any tips/improvements for my build?
Looks interesting to go for ES+Evasion for HC, I'd also like other players input on this build.

What skills will you aim for when going physical?

Will phys really deal enough damage? I've heard ele is the way to go to deal good dmg.

What are you going for northwest in the skill tree?
@Karudun: Looks like a solid build. Might want to invest in that second Fitness notable by bypassing a Might notable ASAP. You also might run into mana problems, and if you do there's some mana nodes near the Shadow tree outer border OR next to the Celerity node down by the Ranger keystone area.

A general note to all: I do not have the time to answer questions from other threads. I leave that up to the rest of the community to handle as I have this thread and PMs to deal with myself (on top of my studying for the CPA).

- IMPORTANT!!! Diamond Flasks have been removed from the game like I suspected and will probably reenter the game at some later date reworked and obviously nerfed! DO NOT plan on using Diamond Flasks for endgame because you won't have it.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 23, 2013, 10:23:01 AM
I have been trying to plan my first OB character, but it's really hard. I mostly played witch in the closed beta so I don't really know all that much about rangers.

This is the build I have come up with. I want to focus on physical damage and life leech, with evasion converted to armor for defense. As for skills, I was thinking of going with the new and improved Rain of Arrows, or split shot for AOE. Frenzy for single target? As I said, I don't have much experience with rangers so this part is harder :) Ice shot? How does that work with life steal?

Also, have I put too much emphasis on life/survivability and not enough on offensive abilities?

Islidox, Thank you for those cookie cutter builds. I never got to do much testing in beta (I found out about the game a week or two before OB hits).

I liked your strength one:
7. Strength Ranger:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm40ILhmO7YPTfjWSTsjuDlb6dEEUdcHYDq0ppUOcGNt08Z65IWBAoAUtYEt673Tt704otWCIYVIyCVYEhmA6Ut-_r-sB0fT4okDEotwVq9Kn1P7In8tVqZe0rLrh2vzFZ6CHdkp93Q06szWGuc2dqpAKLOm0GuLLJT_K0xm0-rHqYmqTwA8VICpNPyduqjJ-I_bv8FpI3sa-pxRSZU1HfqvFhNmuk2z2Wz0=

- Physical damage
- Evasion-based Armor
- Keystones used: Iron Reflexes, Unwavering Stance, Blood Magic, Iron Grip
- Life usage

I was wondering for skills though, are split arrow and rain of arrows considered physical damage? Are there other gems that I would want to pursue to compliment this build?

I also saw you recommended the 2nd basic build and gonna look at that as well, but initially my idea was to go into a strength build. Also does it convert evasion point for point into armor, or is there a ratio or evasion to armor it gets converted into?

Thank you so much for all the guides and everyone elses input.
Last edited by Soress on Jan 23, 2013, 10:53:54 AM
Thank you very much, Islidox, for this comprehensive thread! It has been quite helpful to me, and I'm sure to many others as well. :)
Hmm assuming I go for a phys crit Ranger, what are some good skills to go with for DPS?

I mean I know marauders pretty decently, but not bow slinging rangers >.>.

Also, should we get the skill point from bandit quests or no?

Edit: For gems, I take it if I wanna go a Phys ranger Im gonna want.

More crit damage/accuracy slapped into each skill along with life on hit? Or maybe faster projectiles x_X, choices choices.

Sorry to ask so many questions.
Last edited by darkcrab on Jan 23, 2013, 12:27:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info